This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#11252 by Letalis
Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:47 pm
Hi, I am interisted in what people think of the music I write. I am about to start a new band, and the songs i have midi of on my profile are some of the songs i have wrote for the band... So I would really like to know what people think of the stuff that I write. Just take a few minutes and listen to each, they are only about 3 minutes or so long a piece and the second track is only like a minute clip of the song... Message me what you think.

Also we are looking for a drummer and bassist, if your in the local area and interisted I'de be happy to speak with you.

Thank you,
Lee
#11289 by waywardson
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:18 pm
i'm a newbie!!!!!
is there somewhere you can post your songs to get feedback???

#11291 by DaveGTD
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:59 pm
Since you asked, Letalis, I'd say you have a sense of the dramatic. Your compositions had me thinking for a moment that I was listening to a movie soundtrack. That's a good thing.

At times, though, it seemed like it was just noodling rather than an integral composition. Not bad noodling, mind you. Just no adherence to a central theme. It's a similar feel to what I got from Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra. After the dramatic opening, .(the theme used in '2001: A Space Odyssey") the piece devolves into wimpy noodling, disappointing its promise. All most people ever hear of it is that bit used in the film, and small wonder.

Maybe it is because they are instrumental pieces with no vocals to bring it together, but instrumentals can and do often have a very cohesive feel.

That's one guy's opinion.
Last edited by DaveGTD on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#11293 by waywardson
Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:39 pm
wow, that was a fairly harsh critique! especially coming from somone whose songs sound like a soundtrack to a really bad video game.

#11296 by DaveGTD
Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 pm
Not intended to be harsh, waywardson. There is a lot of good stuff in his tracks. A guy can't improve if everybody tells him everything he does is great.

Brings an anecdote to mind. I was playing with a duo along with some other bands. An aficionado of another band was drunk and yelling throughout our set, "You guys suck!"

After our set, my partner bought drinks for him and his girlfriend. When the guy came over to thank him, my buddy said, "You're the kind of guy we like. We always hear people telling us how good we are, but you tell it like you see it."

The guy replied, "Uh, thanks. Uh, you guys don't really suck."

The bouncer spoiled it. He told the guy, "You're lucky. I know what that guy does for a living. He could have taken you donw a half dozen different ways."

All of which is a little beside the point. Letalis asked for feedback, presumably so that he could improve his product. What's there is good, but could use just a little more focus, IMHO. It's played well and has dramatic qualities.

PS: Nice stuff, waywardson. Interesting cadences, played well.
Last edited by DaveGTD on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

#11297 by Franny
Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 pm
waywardson wrote:wow, that was a fairly harsh critique! especially coming from somone whose songs sound like a soundtrack to a really bad video game.
Dayyyuuummm!!! :shock:
To get to the point at hand, you got some nice stuff, #2 never seemed to get anywhere though.
You got some talent man, your stuff reminds me of something Circ De Sol would be interested in; the mood changes your music encompasses would fit like a glove for them.
Have you ever submitted your work to them?
http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuS ... efault.htm

ps. get it copyrighted first...i'm not kidding you really should contact them.

#11310 by waywardson
Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:27 am
okay, you're right. critique is what it is. noone will grow as a writer if they don't hear the truth.
i spend some time at a place called songramp.com....
you could fart into the microphone and get a good review there...ahah.