This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#10423 by johnnya
Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 pm
I wish bandmix would showcase its members who have things ready to show agents, producers, clubs, you know represent us for big time auditions, example they hear of ozzy or skid row or any well established unit looking for musicians, well they say this profile, and so and so is on our (wish i had a opportunity list) . I figure if a effort is made to promote thier clients, bandmix would become sought after to look for new musicians, I would think that those who have paid to be members would get that chance and those who have a free profile would also get checked out, but thats where a demo and pics come in handy, but i think everyone gets the picture, bandmix would be like a agent in the sense of just giving us a chance by networking to agents in the music industry, one of us makes it, they'll be knocking on all our doors, and this could be big or bigger than other sites like this. 8)

#10425 by N1GHTM4R3GR33N
Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 pm
maybe they should

#10445 by Front_Man
Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:47 pm
That seems to be asking quite a bit from an outfit that provides most of its' services for free.

Seriously, not trying to be a smart@ss here, but it sounds like you want someone to do all the "leg work" for you? IMHO that's half the "business": getting out, networking and promoting yourself, etc.

It's been my experience (over the past 2-and-a-half decades) that there will always be somebody out there willing to "represent" you, but few -- if any -- will do it for free. And the ones who will do it for free, well, you usually end up getting pretty much what you paid for, if you catch my drift!!

LOL, that's why I've always referred to Agents as the "lawyers of the music industry"; not a real popular bunch....
:wink:
#10447 by Jacquee Rae
Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:12 pm
I tend to agree that promoting oneself is of utmost importance; however, what does bandmix's tagline say? Connecting musicians. Isn't that in itself a sort of promotional tool. They are already half way there.
And to be honest, I think it would be a win win situation simply because the more success that it's members have, the more successful bandmix will become.
Until of course there are no musicians left with out a band... maybe this could be the new Presidential candidate platform... a bill to leave no musician behind. hahah. Ok, so I am getting a little CRAZY here, BUT I do have to say that I do think that there is some validity in what johnnya has suggested.

#10457 by johnnya
Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:06 am
do you have a free profile frontman or did you pay a year membership? Dont mean to sound like a buthole, its like dah, i know what i have to do, and ive done it, it would be cool to have someone lend a helping hand, and i do that for new bands, i spotlite them 2 songs in my gigs, so i feel people need to get off the jealous of others and help each other out, i have told some bands not from around here about gigs to get in south texas, i have lived and seen all types of stuff in my life, nd done all my videos, recordings, tv appearances on my own. now i think ill go out and find a agent :lol:

#10491 by The KIDD
Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 pm
Hey Gang,

Yeah , It really depends which level of the bis your working as to how best to network...Most of the local agencys around my area have gone outta bis or are no longer handling a musician referral service...Looked at the ad board at your local music store lately? Its not exactly teaming with work opps...Trouble is, on here, everyone is a light yr away from one another :cry: ...I used to be able to call 3 agents in WV, WI and MS and be workin that week....Hell, I used to move 3-400 mi to join a band that worked 5-6 nites week.SOOOO, I with that said, I think we need some extra help nowdays since the oldfashion way(not enough work to keep it supported) has about gone outta existence....Hey Johnnya, Is the Purple Sage still happinin in Uvalde?..cool club, used to play there in the late 80s'.....

John

#10538 by Front_Man
Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:07 pm
Folks,
A Forum, by abbreviated definition, is a: a public meeting place for open discussion b: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas, both differing and similar.

I wasn't trying to be impudent or pretentious or even patronizing with my differing opinions on this issue, because I'm sure you "know what you have to do". But I am perplexed that you think this site should "do more" than it's already doing. Bandmix does indeed have the tagline of "Connecting Musicians", and that's exactly what they are doing. And that tagline itself is a promotional tool -- for Bandmix. While the intentions of the site are obviously honorable -- and it can be an invaluable tool for us musicians, the fact remains that this is a business website for it's creators. If you disagree, then tell me why every service they offer isn't free? Tell me why there are ads sprinkled throughout? Yes, they do connect musicians. They connect us in these forums and through the profiles. However, nowhere (that I've seen) is there any mention or promise of promotion and/or representation from Bandmix. And unless there were fees for the services you feel should be offered I can see no scenario where this is a win/win situation for Bandmix.

To answer your question, yes, I currently have a free profile. I have, numerous times in the past, paid the fee to be able to contact other members, but I don't see how that has any relevance to this issue. Like hundreds of others on here I have a free profile primarily because Bandmix offers it, period. I don't see the need to either apologize for, or feel bad about that. This has nothing to do with being jealous about anything (and I'm not even sure where that remark is coming from?). I think it's great that you like to help out new Bands, and I believe all of us do to a certain extent. But like it or not this is a BUSINESS, and a very competitve one at that. It's commendable that you have promoted yourself to this point, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to let somebody else handle the marketing/promoting aspects of YOUR BUSINESS now. I just didn't -- and still don't -- understand why you would expect Bandmix, or any other entity, to perform these services for free, when nobody else out there will.

This may be a bit off topic but, as I'm sure you know, a 4-hour club gig turns into 7 or 8 hours of work when you add in the setup, sound check, and tear-down/loadout at the end, and I personally have a real hard time giving somebody 10-20% percent of my earnings for doing little more than making a phone call. I've played close to 500 gigs in my "career", which may explain the (apparently unpopular) "realist" attitude I have on this subject. I've played to Clubs full of empty tables and I've played for 15,000 people. I'd proudly venture a guess that less than 15% of those 500 gigs were secured with the help of an agent. And of those gigs in that 15%, probably half rank up there with the worst, most lame gigs I've ever had to play. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it, because Agents are a business too, and in my 28 years of performing I've yet to meet one who truly researches, or even cares about the quality of the gig they're booking for you, or who is more concerned with their client's earnings and well-being than their own. It's all about the commission! This is by no means a blanket indictment of all Agents, nor is it a claim that there is never a need for their services. If you feel your business has reached the level where you need one, well, congratulations, and great for you! That leads me to believe you are enjoying success and are very busy. I sincerely hope you find a good one that will work for you! Just don't be too disappointed when you can't find one that will work for you for free, whether you feel they should or not.

Honestly, I'm not trying to argue or preach or piss anybody off, I'm just offering a different perspective on this issue from someone who has also "been around and seen a lot of things". But you have to admit, you're basically asking for "something for nothing", and that just doesn't happen very often, especially in this business. Best of luck to you all...

#10541 by The KIDD
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm
Hey Brian,

I know where your comin from man, I just have seen this bis degredate so far in my 30 yrs I hate being a realist...It bums me out :lol: I havent play in LEX in a while but Im sure you'll admit the club scene is NOT what it was in 78 or 88 or even 98...I think we all take the internet for granted becuase IT is practically free...I know everytime I cant find what I want or feel a site hasnt provided me with enough info or is kinda vague, I feel like Ive been cheated :lol: I just long to be back on the circuit and feel like time is runnin out so I look for any form of communication that will get me back on the road...You got me thinkin on how many gigs Ive played...My estimate is between 7500--8000 :lol: ...I know I drank 63,860 beers from 74--86..I quit countin after that...Anyway, I think we all know this is a bis..We just wanna connect with like minded people...I actually think providing the baord for free IS alot and Im thankful I getta talk to you "Kinks" of society out there.. (OH , not me...surely) :lol:

John

#10544 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:23 pm
We'll get it on the road KIDD! Just give me time to get prepaired. Talk is cheap, As you know. Knowing what we are capeable of as musicians is what 'CLICKS' & counts. Will be in touch soon Bro!....VB. 8)

#10545 by Front_Man
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 pm
You've obviously played more "for a living" than I have KIDD. With the exception of a few years of traveling in the mid-80's my musical work has been mostly "part-time". I wouldn't demean it by calling it a hobby, but in an area like Lexington a guy would just about starve trying to make a living. Hell, there aren't even any clubs around here that have live music more than 2 or 3 nights a week. Used to be you could play 6 nights a week if you wanted to. Sadly, the only thing on the "scene" that still resembles "78 or 88 or even 98" is the amount of pay club owners want to fork out. LOL!

Even worse; wherever you go there will always be a zillion garage Bands out there that will play for next to nothing, and the club owners know that! This makes it even tougher on those of us who work hard and take our "craft" seriously, and expect to be compensated accordingly.

Maybe it's my age or my semi-conservative views, but I still think it's extremely counter-productive to sit around wondering why other people aren't doing your work for you. Know what I mean?

#10546 by The KIDD
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:34 pm
Well....hmmm...Ok now..Now ..now wait a minute....now I I gotta have my 500 aweek,my own room,and gas $$ so I can drive my van...SHIIIT, Hell, Ill take 200 a week , no room, no gas $$ just to have MY past back... :lol:

John

#10547 by The KIDD
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:50 pm
Hey Brian ,

Yeah , I do know what ya mean...The bar has been lower over the yrs...Im like those spoiled baby boomers they talk about..I had my way for so long..I took alot for granted back then.. .When I turned 21, I had 3 road yrs behind me..I thought it would be like this till I was 65 or too old to drum...Seems like a different planet now..Yeah , all the gigs we played in LEX were 5-6 niters for the most part ...I lived 5 years in ORD(chicago) ...the scene was good there 89-94...Got homesick.. :cry: ...NOW, im bitchin cuase my little hometown wont take care of me anymore (no 6 nites a week) :lol: ...

John

#10548 by Front_Man
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:56 pm
The KIDD wrote:Well....hmmm...Ok now..Now ..now wait a minute....now I I gotta have my 500 aweek,my own room,and gas $$ so I can drive my van...SHIIIT, Hell, Ill take 200 a week , no room, no gas $$ just to have MY past back... :lol:

John

LOL, I like the way you think Brother, and anybody our age who says they don't sometimes wish for things to be like they were in the past is lying, period. But, in my case, the time requirements and the toll that nightly performances take on a 40-something body are far greater than they were 20 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I can still party and "bring it" on stage like I could when I was 21...I just can't get out of bed as easily the next morning!!! :lol:

You know, it's to each their own, but I can no longer justify taking a Band to a club for a 4-hour show for $200-$300. Believe me (and I'm probably no different than a lot of you out there), over the years I've done my share of gigs for all the beer I could drink, for "exposure", and for less money than any self-respecting musician should take. I just can't see paying the same dues over and over...

#10550 by The KIDD
Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:17 pm
Yeah , tell me about it (40yr old vrs 20 yr old body..LOL).....I was playin a gig about 8months ago and I actually have flashbacks sometimes...We were doing "Cant get enough"and I used to jump over the kit and front of the stage and land on the dance floor to end that tune...I saw a girl who was about 23-24 dancin and it looked like Rhonda from 86.The tune and that girl flashed me back to when I was 26 and I leaped over my kit to show off but didnt land too good... :P Yeah , I never found a subsitute (real job)for the road so Im still swimmin in that same ole fish bowl...Yeah , I guess Ill keep payin dues...Yeah , a lead singer IMO works as hard as I do..I drum 2-3 hrs a nite to keep in shape incase somebody invents a time machine :lol:

john

#10552 by Front_Man
Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:15 pm
LOL, I hear ya! I used to want to drink a gallon of beer over the course of a 4-hour show...now I have to drink a gallon of water!!

And let me know when you find that time machine...I'll take a ride with ya!!
:wink: