This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#234728 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:23 pm
Came across a 'band' (it's a couple) called Johnnyswim in an article in the Taylor Guitars magazine. http://www.johnnyswim.com The song on the front page of the site, 'Home' is very upbeat, some of their other songs are more introspective. The woman singer is Donna Summer's daughter.

I hear 'new' music on the local 'The River' radio station (I know theres a whole chain of these who play local and indie and more-popular new music, occasionally older stuff). Of course 99% of the new stuff they play I find repetitive and uninteresting, but every once in a while I'll hear a song that piques my interest enough to go find it (and usually learn it on guitar).

Sometimes I'll explore on reverbnation, using the 'rabbit hole' link on the player which will take you from the song you are listening to to a song by someone who played a show with that first artist, or who is recommended by the first artist.

#234745 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 pm
VinnyViolin wrote:http://youtu.be/4HU6rUe-F5E

Random youtube searches? :wink:

#234747 by VinnyViolin
Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:51 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
VinnyViolin wrote:http://youtu.be/4HU6rUe-F5E

Random youtube searches? :wink:

Before the internet, I would find about 20% of new music through radio play and magazine articles, the other 80% was by flipping through the bins of record stores to see what music of interest to me would randomly present itself.

I can easily find more new, and interesting to me, music now in just an hour of youtube browsing .. than I could back then in a years worth of flipping through bins and spending hundreds of dollars.

Random? .. it's like 'shooting fish in a barrel'

GuitarMikeB wrote: "Of course 99% of the new stuff they play I find repetitive and uninteresting, .. "

99% sounds like a worse distribution of odds than random :lol:

#234756 by gtZip
Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:19 am
I follow a lot of youtube rabbit type holes.
There may be a song being used in a Home Recording video that I like, so I track it down.

Also, if you listen to any am type radio, sometimes I track down bumper music if the radio show has a web site n such.

I fount ' The Mariana Hollow' from a youtube vid about mixing.

#234762 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:19 am
I'd have to go with YouTube. I was looking for some traditional Celtic folk music and ran into Nightwish - igniting my fascination with Symphonic and Folk Metal.

I soon realized that you can find darn near anything on YouTube and most of it will give you leads to more interesting.

I never dreamt I'd be a fan of a German Medieval Metal band called "Subway to Sally."

Yeah the internet for sure - watch it on YouTube, get some details on wiki and its like having Creem Magazine delivered to your door: daily!

Talbot

#234794 by Firebird78
Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:36 am
I don’t have the best luck with reception for the radio stations I want to hear. Then add the fact that they do “talk stuff” when I would be able to listen in the morning, so I end up hearing a lot of new songs on the genre-specific cable TV channels I have (called “Music Choice”).

#234817 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:30 pm
I used to use Pandora quite a bit. You can set up your own channels with favorite artists, then they pick some similar ones. IF you use the free Pandora, you get ads, and can only 'skip' a few songs at a time.

#235018 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 pm
Spotify!!!

I've gone over to the dark side :P

I was totally hating them until a couple of weeks ago, but the way they rotate music for their "free" service is a great way of finding new music. And if you're a "new music" artist, it's a good way to find a new audience.

:idea:

#235029 by Christopher Holmes
Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:41 pm
YouTube is great for finding new stuff. It is very much a rabbit-hole search. Just start clicking on videos, and then watch what comes up on the right-hand panel. I chase things down until I find something I really like.

Pandora can still be useful in this regard as well. If you're just trying to find new music, create a new channel with only one seed and don't up/down anything. That way you get a wider array of songs. The more up/down voting you do, the narrower Pandora makes the station, which is not as helpful to finding new music.

#235033 by RhythmMan-2
Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:21 pm
In reply to the original question: to find new music, I usually pick up my guitar and compose it.
I practice, and start playing chords - and chord changes - which are difficult for me, and I play them faster and faster, as I adapt.
I keep a solid tempo, but as I get faster I need to sometimes skip a beat or two, to give me time to grab the next chord in tempo.
This often generates a unique rhythm.
I start with hearing - in my mind - 8 beats a measure. Then as I can play faster, I start hearing 16 beats a measure. So I am able to play the song at "half' speed.

At 'half-speed,' I have much more leeway with the rhythm.
By doing this, I'll usually hear a song I've never heard before.

#235034 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:33 pm
RhythmMan-2 wrote:In reply to the original question: to find new music, I usually pick up my guitar and compose it.
I practice, and start playing chords - and chord changes - which are difficult for me, and I play them faster and faster, as I adapt.
I keep a solid tempo, but as I get faster I need to sometimes skip a beat or two, to give me time to grab the next chord in tempo.
This often generates a unique rhythm.
I start with hearing - in my mind - 8 beats a measure. Then as I can play faster, I start hearing 16 beats a measure. So I am able to play the song at "half' speed.

At 'half-speed,' I have much more leeway with the rhythm.
By doing this, I'll usually hear a song I've never heard before.

That's creating new music, not finding it! :)

#235036 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:30 pm
How do i find new music to listen to????

VINNY!!!