This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#232924 by Firebird78
Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:16 pm
Some of you know that I am mainly a lyric dude and I throw one up here from time to time. I also did a song for this (first one in the profile), but I don’t advertise that too much as I am a real rookie on the music side. However, I do have a lot of fun trying to get better, and that is the main thing. In taking the step from lyrics to music, I can sure appreciate the talent and dedication you musicians have because it is not easy!!! Keepin’ the day job here!!

“The King”

V
Rising star
Speeches made
Telling people happy things

V
People cry
And they cheer
Don’t know what they’re starting here

Ch
And he would be the king
If he could
He would be the king
Of all things good
He’d promise everything
If he could be the king

V
Follow him
To the end
But the man has never led

V
He will scorn
Liberty
Punish those who disagree

Ch
And he would be the king
If he could
He would be the king
Of all things good
He’d promise everything
If he could be the king

Br
Nothing he won’t know
What you say and where you go

Ch
And he would be the king
If he could
He would be the king
Of all things good
He’d promise everything
If he could be the king…….

#232926 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:47 pm
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!
Nice attempt at this one.
I'd really recommend you take the (free) Coursera Berklee Songwriting Class I took a while back. You'll learn about stability/unstability of lyrics and rhythm, among other things which can help you write more rhythmical lyrics, which in turn will allow you to do the music more easily.

#232959 by Jahva
Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 pm
Did you play/write/sing everything?
I think it's a good step for you. Just have fun doing it. Not all will be good but like everything else... you've got to dig to find the diamond.
Get more familiar with different chords on the git it'll open up your mind to new ideas and sounds.
Not that there is anything wrong with using bar chords.
Keep writing and playing every chance you get. You've got a good understanding of what you're doing being a lyricist first. That's sometimes more than half the battle.
Thanks for sharing some tunes! 8)

#232963 by Firebird78
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:29 pm
MikeB - Thanks for your words and the course info. I took a look and it sounds pretty thorough for being a no-cost class. I could also use a whole bunch of music lessons!

Jahva – Thanks for listening and commenting. Yes, I do all the music and vocals. The songs are pretty elementary, but I do enjoy it as some kind of “release” of stuff inside. With my limited skill level, I consider the songs more as “concepts” or something like that. It’s my only way of creating songs from that pile of lyrics I have. That drop-D 3-string bar chord is certainly a limitation, but it’s all I know how to do right now.

I am reaching the point where I just continue at this level…….or get taking lessons…….or find some local folks who play, and want to work on some original stuff. I appreciate the encouragement.

#232970 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 am
The good things about the coursera class:
1) It's free (you can pay $39 for 'credit')
2) There are people at all levels of ability taking the class, so no matter what level you are at, there are many others at the same level, or lower (and higher).
3) It not only covers some fundamental topics, but more advanced ones (as I mentioned above), so everyone with an open mind can pick up some tips.

#232977 by gbheil
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:14 am
We could totally KILL that one dude . . . 8)