This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#232516 by Rhodes30
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 am
Hi there, everyone! My name is Josh and I was hoping I could ask a few questions…

I am an amateur guitarist looking for ways to connect with like-minded musicians in a community to help broaden my skills. I was hoping you could tell me…

1) What things do you struggle the most with (in terms of personal time management) when it comes to being a musician (Job, late hours, disturbing neighbors, etc.)?

2) What do you find the most difficult about connecting with other musicians? (Personality, skills, determination, etc?)

3) What made you want to be a musician?

4) What type of music do you enjoy playing? What type of music do you enjoying listening to? (Does not have to be the same response)

5) How do you reach out and connect with other musicians? (Shows, coffee shops, internet, music shops, etc? )

6) Do you use online resources to connect with other musicians for socializing or promoting music? If so, which websites?

7) Do you ever “jam" with other musicians online over a video service platform such as Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.? If so, how was the experience? What did you like/dislike about it? What could have been improved? Would you consider using another video service platform?

I thoroughly appreciate everyone for taking the time and effort to respond, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

#232532 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 pm
1) Time, just finding enough time in the day.
2) Depends - on forming an act/band, everything is a factor.
3) Inborn
4) Anything with a couple of guitars blending well (not just each playing the same thing), vocal harmonies. Listening - many differnet styles, but its got to have feeling.
5) & 6) At open mics, gigs, shows, networking online here, homerecording forums, facebook groups, reverbnation, bandcamp.
7) No

#232533 by Paleopete
Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm
You'll notice Mike has the same answers for some of these, and that will be a very common theme.

1) a. Getting my lazy ass in there and practicing. I hate to practice at home by myself. I'd rather have teeth drilled...but if I want to stay in the band I do it. I worked on a song we're learning yesterday at 5AM...unplugged...

b) I use a 6 watt Fender Champ as a practice amp. Neighbor 30 feet away won't know I'm sitting there jamming away with the amp maxed out. Provided the house has decent insulation. Where I live now that's not a problem, I'm out in the boonies and can crank the Super Reverb to around 6 and nobody would know...

Late hours never bothered me much till recently, at 58 I'm finding it has finally started to screw with my internal clock, but not bad enough to consider it a problem. In younger days I was a total night owl, and 2 hours sleep didn't leave me a zombie unable to function at work when I had a day job.

2) Having a decent local music scene with musicians to connect with, and being a lifelong loner doesn't help much either. When possible I look around for a local open mic I can go to, (nonexistent around here, nothing within 50 miles) and sometimes I'll contact bands with flyers up at music stores just to meet some of the local folks. Also go to clubs and meet the local players. Difficult right now on very limited income, but I'm already playing with a band so not a big issue.

3) Damn little guitar player in my head...won't shut down even if I get so wasted I can't stand up. Haven't done that in 30 years, but I still have trouble going to sleep...I learned guitar at age 5, everything in the band room in high school, 1st time onstage was about age 10, get togethers with my uncles before that, they'll probably have to pry a guitar out of my hands to bury me...I didn't WANT to, I HAD to...I have no options, it's required...demanded...a complusion...

4) Rock and blues, occasionally a little jazz. Played sax in jazz band in high school, never was crazy about listening to jazz a lot, but had a lot of fun playing it, at least the older style we played then...Count Basie, Doc Severenson type stuff. The newer style contemporary jazz by guys like Pat Metheny never did interest me a lot. Some great players, like Metheny and Alan Holdsworth, but I'm just not into it a lot.

5) Check music stores for flyers looking for players, open mic night at a local club, go see the local bands and meet the musicians, join school band (if you're in that age group).

Open mic locator site http://openmikes.org/

6) You're looking at it. Also had accounts on a couple of others a while back, but not much on the way of results. One other site had a forum with a lot of use but dealing with 16 year old boneheads who certainly knew more than any 50 year old player ever would got old pretty quick...like the guy who tried to convince me the FIRST thing to do when setting the intonation is tweak the truss rod...and refused to admit he was wrong no matter what, even after I posted links to 3 or 4 tech sites with explanations of how and why to adjust the damn thing...called me an asshole and claimed at 17 he had done hundreds of setups...yeah right...I left a couple of months later after butting heads with a dozen similar idiots.

7) Nope.

Last, as I always advise beginner or intermediate musicians, always remember the 3 P's. (even if I do hate it...)

Practice

Practice

Practice

And never pass up a chance to jam a little with a better player, you'll almost always learn something. I've surprised many guitar players in music stores and pawn shops by walking up and saying hey lets pick a little. It irritates me to no end now when younger guys hear me in a music store, put the guitar down and walk away.

One kid a few years ago about 17 or so and not a bad player asked the store owner, who was a good friend, if the amp he was checking out would get a distortion sound. (straight tube amp, no master volume) Store owner asked me to show him. He handed me the guitar, I cranked the amp to 10 and played about 30 seconds, handed the guitar back. He put it down, told his friend he couldn't play after that...

I told him don't ever do that. Pick that thing up and play, you might just learn something. Who cares if you're not as good as I am, so what? I've been at it 30 years longer than you, of course you're not as good, but if you play some and pay attention you might just pick up a thing or two. He was a bit embarrassed, but we played a little and he seemed to enjoy it. Don't know if he really learned anything, but maybe after that he wouldn't be embarrassed to try...I'll go out of my way to jam with a better player every time. Doesn't bother me a bit. I played sax in high school with a guy who could play circles around me. We'd grin and make faces at each other trying to prod each other into playing even better...I loved it. He taught me to let the ego stay at home.

Oh...stay sober and straight onstage, at practice and jam sessions. You do not play better wasted. Want to prove it? Record yourself a couple of times then listen to it sober. I love those little left handed ones, but especially in your younger years it impedes your ability to learn. Stay straight, you're a lot better off. 3 beers and I can tell your playing is getting sloppy. I'll put my guitar down, I don't want to hear your sloppy ass...sorry, that's just the way it is...

#232558 by gbheil
Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 pm
1) Finding the time that coincides with available band members.
Disturbing the peace issue was settled by our local Constable.
( long as we wrap it up by 22:00 weekdays, we're cool )

2) Musicians . . . LOL
Dang few willing to make the sacrifice necessary. Best guitar player in the world is useless if he's a no show.

3) Always loved music, most recent sojourn began at the bequest of a friend.

4) My music . . . I hold tremendous respect for musicians whom can learn and play hundreds of covers.
As for myself . . . I don't care for covers in the least. It does not satisfy my creative desire nor express my emotion as completely as doing our original music.

5) Bandmix has been very helpful, however networking is best done on a personal level.

6) Bandmix & Facebook. ( but see #5 )

7) No

Nothing improves musical talents like playing with others.
Being the least proficient musician in a band can be the best position imaginable for a man of humility whom desires to learn fast.
Ego . . . is our worst enemy.

#232587 by Rhodes30
Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 am
Truly invaluable incite guys, I am really honored and appreciative of the responses. I know from experience with the alcohol, I used to help manage one of my friend's bands and it would never fail that the performances would progressively go down hill when the drinking started, and by the end of some of the practices what was being played was not always the most recognizable material. Oddly enough though there were some instances when the alcohol would make one of the guitarist much more receptive to playing out of his comfort zone and experiment with his sound.

Time management always seems to be one of the main issues not only with musicians but in every day life, never enough time or too much time lost. Other than the love of playing what else motivates you to play? Also what do you do to get your creativity flowing? Is it by doing something that inspires you or something as simple as just letting the music come to you?

#232601 by gbheil
Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 pm
We are a mission band.
After years of nearly daily training in various martial arts, injury set me aside to 'retire' from active teaching role.
Music filled that void, and gave me a creative outlet that was not totaling out my rotater cuff ligaments. :lol:

Inspiration to write ? . . . I do not 'write' music.
I merely 'scribe' what is given to me, and oft on any scrap of paper or Sonic sack that is available at the time of inspiration.
#232719 by Christopher Holmes
Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm
What things do you struggle the most with (in terms of personal time management) when it comes to being a musician (Job, late hours, disturbing neighbors, etc.)

Time management has never really been an issue for me. I just make time. I love my instrument, I love music, I love practicing and playing.

What do you find the most difficult about connecting with other musicians? (Personality, skills, determination, etc?)

I would say the first and biggest hurdle is finding musicians with a shared vision. There are many musicians around, even in a small community like where I live, but finding musicians who share the same vision, who want the same things, is difficult. I am at a point in my life where all I want to do is play in a rock cover band, and to only play about 6-8 shows a year. I don't have the time to spend rehearsing with the band every week; I need to be with musicians who can get 95% of the material figured out on their own time, and save rehearsals for that last 5% that is necessary to polish for a live show, where we can spend our time agreeing on cues, transitions, medleys, etc. Now, I can find some cover bands, but they either want to do 50's and 60's or country, or they might be close in the genre I want to do but they want to rehearse twice a week, or play shows every weekend, etc. So it is very difficult to find that magic group of people who all want the same thing.

The other thing that is difficult, or can be difficult, is finding folks of the same talent/skill level. I remember when one of my other cover bands was looking for a drummer. I auditioned several of them on my own time, traveling to houses and setting up my gear, and there were some guys who had spent a good chunk of money on drums, but unfortunately they could not play or keep time. It's really disheartening to find so many responses to an advertisement for a drummer or bass player, and then go audition folks and find out they just can't cut it. And it makes it even harder when you've played with some really great musicians, like I have; you have a higher standard now, and you don't want to play with anyone who isn't as good as some of the people you have played with in the past. So skill/talent discrepancies are always an issue.

What made you want to be a musician?

George Lynch and Warren DeMartini.

I was addicted to the guitar from an early age (though I never actually picked one up until I was 19). I just loved the look, the sound, and the way certain guys played it. I would listen to George Lynch on those early Dokken albums and his playing just evoked this strong desire me in to pick up the instrument and play. Same with DeMartini, Vitto Bratta, etc. It was the heyday of hair metal and glam rock and I was hooked. Guitar solos were prevalent, and a lot of the guitar work was way better than we realized. I think we all took that era for granted, with respect to guitar... It was a golden age.

Also, I could not sing. Not a lick. And I loved music. Guitar was my way in.

What type of music do you enjoy playing?

I enjoy playing a wide variety of stuff, but hard rock is the most fun I've had playing on a stage. I've played in a 80's/90'/2000's rock cover band, and that was probably the most fun I've ever had. I've also played in a progressive rock original band for a short time, and that was also incredibly fun. Rock just does it for me.

What type of music do you enjoying listening to?

Progressive Rock, Rock, Independent music, and film scores. Example: Dream Theater, Rush, Ratt, Journey, Stars, Silversun Pickups, Imogen Heap, Cliff Martinez's "Solaris" soundtrack.

How do you reach out and connect with other musicians?

My wife owns a small restaurant and we host an open mic once a month. The open mic here has become quite the ordeal; it is probably the best open mic I've ever been to (largely because my wife insists on everyone being quiet and paying attention to the musicians, which is why so many musicians show up for our open mic). It's a great time to connect with other musicians. Also, Facebook and chats, forums like these, etc.

Do you use online resources to connect with other musicians for socializing or promoting music? If so, which websites?

Mostly this forum and Facebook.

7) No. Reason: Latency. Jamming in person can often be difficult enough.