This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

As a Cover Band-should you play to please the crowd or play what makes YOU feel good first

38%
63%
#222436 by Budd Lake Bass
Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:39 pm
I'm 44 and met a 50 yr old guitar player. We picked up a drummer on BandMix who is also 50. I was in bands in 90's, but haven't actually played in a band for 16 years, aside from open-mics here and there. Same with our drummer. We're not looking to hit it big, just want to have fun and gig once in a while.

We're playing songs from bands that make us feel good, not ones that will "please a crowd" and get us gigs. Our thought is, if we
're tight and it sounds good, they'll like it. Personally, I'm not interested in playing 867-5309, That's What I like About You (Romantics), Rebel Yell, or Twist and Shout. Nor would I get excited about hearing that at a bar/club. We're doing more eclectic classic songs like Green Eyed Lady, Sin's a Good Man's Brother, Little Wing (Derek/Dominoes version), Light My Fire, etc. Will these go over? Or will we bore the commons?

#222437 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:44 pm
Although you may be able to figure out decent versions of some of those tunes as a trio, no way you can do Green Eyed Lady without an organ!

The question is, really, can you get gigs playing those songs, and not 'what the audience wants to hear'? What kinds of places are you planning on playing? If its 'dance clubs', those tunes probably won't work.

#222446 by RGMixProject
Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:41 pm
If you are entertainers and live for positive feedback from fans you love... you can play anything you want. Its MORE THAN JUST MUSIC, sorry but that's the way it is.

#222451 by Cajundaddy
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:50 am
:shock:
Last edited by Cajundaddy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

#222452 by Cajundaddy
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 am
:lol:
Last edited by Cajundaddy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

#222453 by Cajundaddy
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:54 am
If you want people to dance, play dance songs. If you want people to groove, play groove songs. If you want people to go ape-shit crazy, sing songs about cheeseburgers, fins, and margaritas. If you carefully craft your set to the audience you want to reach, and they are willing to pay to hear you, the band will get paid. Otherwise you can play anything you want at free backyard parties.

We have played Little Wing, Light my fire, and other epic rock anthems at Harley rallys and street festivals to good effect. In a dance club they will quickly clear the room and put your tip jar in the freezer. Know your audience.

#222476 by gbheil
Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:42 pm
This is the way I see it.

It's a personal choice / mindset.

Whom do you play for ?

This is the real question, and the right answer is what is right for you.

#222485 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:15 pm
I've always thought that musicians should play what they play best...whatever that is.

But a cover band, by it's very nature, is covering songs that people want to hear, right? So that has to be considered also.

I see no practical difference between the "eclectic" list you mention and the 90s list (8675309, etc). They are both old cover tune lists.

Since there isn't a whole lot of money in playing (unless you're a recording artist) then you should do what makes you happy.

#222490 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 pm
In my opinion it is best to play crowd pleasers. Their are certain songs that every crowd just wants. If you are happy playing to the bar help and empty chairs by all means play what YOU want! That attitude has always irritated me because its selfish! If you are a professional musician you are an entertainer and you play for the crowd!

#222500 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:21 pm
J-HALEY wrote:In my opinion it is best to play crowd pleasers. Their are certain songs that every crowd just wants. If you are happy playing to the bar help and empty chairs by all means play what YOU want! That attitude has always irritated me because its selfish! If you are a professional musician you are an entertainer and you play for the crowd!

My thoughts, too! Playing to an empty room - might as well just play in the basement/garage - don't have to schlep equipment around for that.
#222504 by Christopher Holmes
Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:14 pm
When I started my first cover band several years back, my thought was the same as yours: "Play what I want to play, and if it sounds good, people will listen."

But it doesn't really work that way...

That doesn't mean you can't play stuff you like, or that you won't enjoy what you're playing, or that you can't have fun with an audience! You just have to figure out the right cocktail of tunes.

A couple years ago I found my way into a popular area gigging rock band as the lead guitarist, playing stuff like Judas Priest, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Ozzy, etc. That band was the best band I've ever played in - we were tight, sounded great, played packed shows, and people DANCED!

We were really two bands in one: A heavy rock band for headbangers and such, and a dance band. We wanted to "rock out", but we wanted people to dance and have a good time.

To do that, we had to pick songs that matched our goals. Tunes like "Bad Girlfriend" and Nickleback's "Figured You Out" rock plenty hard enough, but still get chicks on the dance floor (and you know where the women go, the men follow).

We crafted our sets such that the best "rock" dance tunes were sets 2 and 3, during the middle hours of the night when everyone wants to be on the dance floor. We saved our heaviest stuff, which was not so dance friendly, for the final set, when most of the dancers have gone home, but the hardcore drinking metalheads remain, and will totally rock out with you.

It worked.

This band packed 'em in at the bars (and still does). Mostly people who come to the shows are age 35-50 add are fans of 80's and 90's rock. Biker types, etc.

And people dance. Which is really cool.

At the same time, we had a lot of fun songs to play. I think there were only a couple songs in the entire 44-song set list that I didn't enjoy playing. Everything else was fun, and some stuff, for a lead guitar player like me, was the kind of stuff I lived to play (Crazy Train, Enter Sandman, Bark at the Moon... I mean, that stuff was challenging and fun to play).

The trick, for us, was to re-examine our set lists after every show. We would give a song 3-4 shows before completely ditching it. Sometimes all it would take is moving it around to a different spot on the set list. Maybe a song stinks in set 2 or 3 and causes people to leave the dance floor, but maybe it really works in set 1 (when everyone is just starting to liquor up) or set 4 (when everyone is well-oiled and ready to throw their fist in the air).

We were constantly evaluating our songs and bringing in new material until our 2nd and 3rd sets were so good we stopped fiddling with them. We had two sets worth of material where people would dance non-stop... And that was part of our goal.

So, my advice would be: always evaluate how your songs go over with a crowd. You may LOVE a certain song, but if it doesn't connect with a crowd, you're wasting their time. Stephen King has a line in his "On Writing" book about story elements and characters that don't further the story. He tells prospective authors: "Kill your darlings". Take them out of the book, off the page, because they don't work.

You have to do the same thing with songs. If a song doesn't work, it doesn't matter how much you enjoy playing it or how well you all sound together playing it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. You have to eliminate it. Be ruthless with your songs and you will find that your set lists evolve into something that really connects with the audience.

That said - I'd also offer one last piece of advice: Don't play songs you absolutely HATE. That was kind of our rule as well. There's enough songs in the universe that you do NOT have to play something just because every other cover band does. My personal rule has always been that I will never, ever, under any circumstance, play "Sweet Home Alabama". And I never have. I hate that song so bad I cannot even begin to describe my dislike for it.

Everyone in our band had veto power. If someone absolutely didn't want to play a song, we didn't do it. You should have the same sort of rule. You never want to play songs that people in the band just "HATE" playing. That sucks the fun out of the night.

So find a balance. A balance between what you want to play, what you can live with playing, and what connects with the audience.

There is no sure-fire formula or magic set list. It's a journey. You'll figure it out over time.

Enjoy!
#222509 by John Livingston
Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:04 pm
Forever Now wrote:I'm 44 and met a 50 yr old guitar player. We picked up a drummer on BandMix who is also 50. I was in bands in 90's, but haven't actually played in a band for 16 years, aside from open-mics here and there. Same with our drummer. We're not looking to hit it big, just want to have fun and gig once in a while.

We're playing songs from bands that make us feel good, not ones that will "please a crowd" and get us gigs. Our thought is, if we
're tight and it sounds good, they'll like it. Personally, I'm not interested in playing 867-5309, That's What I like About You (Romantics), Rebel Yell, or Twist and Shout. Nor would I get excited about hearing that at a bar/club. We're doing more eclectic classic songs like Green Eyed Lady, Sin's a Good Man's Brother, Little Wing (Derek/Dominoes version), Light My Fire, etc. Will these go over? Or will we bore the commons?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I say if you reinvent them in a way that is modern, that sh*t will put butts in the seats. Anyone else agree? Hit my profile up, let's make some money.

#222525 by Hayden King
Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:42 am
if you don't care about the money, play for yourself. If you do, you have to play what they want... unless you do it so well, they want what you want ;)

#222554 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm
"Play whatever YOU want to play, f the rest of 'em"... lol