This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#213159 by Jahva
Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 am
Arrows.. I wrote a while back... finally got around to finishing the lyrics and gave it a go on the vocals.

Monica is a new tune.
Kind of an odd piece w/o any real chorus.
Give a listen if you like.
They're just a couple of tunes man... :P

So.... Amen and Shalom my musical brothers and sisters!

#213162 by Starfish Scott
Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 am
NICE.

Not really into the first one, sounds like John Cougar Mellencamp but recorded well enough.

Arrows, sounds interesting though. I could see a power punk mutation/spin on this tune making it very "hip", current and marketable.

Better be careful or someone will be knocking on your door, trying to buy some of your music. :D

#213169 by Jahva
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:15 am
Mellencamp... yeah I can see that.
Never really thought much about him though.
Acoustic driven rock/Country pop or something like that.

Monica was just a song I had to get out of me. Something about getting older and thinking about your youth. I tried it with a mix of acoustic and electric also just electric but it never seems quite right.

I've recorded Arrows 3 times now and this is probably as close as I can get with it.
Glad you found it interesting it is one of my favorites to play.

Thanks Scott!

#213183 by gbheil
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 pm
Listening now !

#213205 by J-HALEY
Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:25 pm
Jahva, those are 2 great songs man! I REALLY enjoyed both songs! My kind of music right there! great guitar sounds mixes the whole thing is just awesome. IMO the vocals could be brought out just a little! I'll be back to listen again thanks for posting!

#213223 by Starfish Scott
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:44 pm
Yeah I have to add that I am impressed with your versatility.

I am much more a "few tricks pony" than you are.
Only 1 main channel and I can't barely even control what comes out on any given session.

#213243 by Jahva
Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 pm
Thanks Jeff... appreciate that. 8)

SS,
I guess that kind of makes me a "Jack of some master of none". :)

#213251 by gbheil
Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm
Very enjoyable . . . listened several times while printing jewel case inserts this morning.

Thank you for your music. :D

#213299 by MikeTalbot
Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 pm
Jahva

Well - "Arrow" is sort of your "Mississippi Queen." (In that it hits it out the park immediately) The first two measures grabbed me by the balls and told me I stumbled into something good. It has power.

Did you do the harp in Monica?

Talbot

#213302 by Jahva
Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 am
Sans, Mike T,
Thanks for listening!

Yeah Mike I work alone.... but I can't really play it.
Like most instruments I can pull a line or two of a melody... and I've gotten more comfortable with them. I've got 3 or 4 tunes I play one on now... mostly folky/country sounds. You know I love the Stones... Mic was/is one helluva harp player.
For me... just a work in progress. I've got an A,G and a C so for what I do they're fun to pull out and try and create a counter melody or just some harmony notes.

#213313 by PaperDog
Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 am
Hey Jahva,

As always good material...

On Monica, I think the Harp was a tad busy. Maybe tone it back during the main verses? Its not bad... It just seemed distracting to me... The Song is delightful and I got a very pleasant picture of small town America out of it.

Arrow- It s fast and tight...It s a great rush hour, wake -yer -ass up song! but the overall narrative doesn't seem to align with any particular mood for that theme. Maybe Harden up the melodic features ...

Its all Good Jahva... Keep on keeping on! :D 8)

#213323 by Jahva
Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 pm
PD,
The Harmonica was kind of experimental... I like accordion sounds with acoustics and a harp can get some similar tone. A bit too loud and a bit busy maybe... cool I'll try a re-mix.
Arrows is really still a work in progress... lyrically it's a little akward to get through. And so when I try to sing it there is some uncertainty with a few lines... tough to get phrased just right. Plus I can't really sing I just do this to complete the song.
Thanks for your comments man... I appreciate it.

#213429 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:34 am
Monica - good upbeat tune, structurally I'd suggest adding a chorus/refrain. Guessing you remixed as I didn't hear the harp problem PD mentions.

Arrows is a driving song, could see the headbangers in a mosh pit for sure.

#213431 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm
Nice song and a clean recording! Monica started out like "hey, hey baby...I want to know...will you be my girl" but that comparison only works for old farts who remember that song. Was that Eddie Cochran? Hmm...can't remember.

"Arrow" is cool and a great opening song...driving hard. Overall both songs groove well and you have skills writing/recording/mixing.

I hope you are playing out a lot.

#213454 by Jahva
Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:44 pm
Mike and Yod
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Mike "Monica" was an oddity just a little acoustic groove. I felt some accompaniment (maybe another instrument for some accent) was missing but I didn't find or search for any additional parts ie chorus/bridge.
I'm ok with that. It's its own structure.

Yod
I don't practice these songs. As much as I would enjoy being in a band... I just create them and move on to the next. It's my therapy and refrigerator art. :P
Thanks again... I appreciate your time and words.