This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#210915 by Kramerguy
Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:45 pm
Hey guys,
I had quit smoking for three ytears, but picked it up again last year.. and this time, I couldn't quit to save my life (literally!).

So I decided to try the new e-cigs out.

First, I tried one of the drug-store disposables. It was alright, not bad at all, but only lasted a day, and that was only using it in place of a few normal smokes. At $10 a pop, it was not a good deal at all.

So then I bought the Blu starter kit.. which uses replacement cartridges.. but even with them, I was going through them like crazy, and while cheaper than disposables, they still ended up being about $6 a day. They also tasted better than the disposables.

At that point, I did a lot of reading up... found there's a whole world of better equipment, DIY stuff, mods... I asked a lot of questions and ended up buying a kit called Ego, model ce4. With these kits, you buy the juice separately, and there's hundreds of juice vendors, nicotene levels, etc.. it can make your head swim..

So I got all my stuff in, and some of these flavors are amazing.. it's like smoking without the crappy smoky smell and feeling. I tried tobacco flavors, fruity flavors, etc.. and OMG, I now can't stand to smoke a real cigarette. The last two I tried to smoke tasted so crappy, all I could think about was grabbing my "vape" and ended up putting both out before halfway.

I then talked to a guy who found a way to do it super-cheap, buy the nicotene mix unflavored liquid, then buy flavorings and mix your own.. create your own flavors.. what a country! lol.

Anyways, after the initial kit purchase of about $60. The DIY liquid and flavors take the habit down to about 20 cents a day. Replacement batteries and parts will come into play (you get two of everything if you buy the right kit), but in the end, it's pretty cheap, efficient, and no more smokers cough!

I STRONGLY recommend the smokers among us giving "vaping" a try .. I'm totally converted, this is the best invention since the electric guitar!

#210918 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm
Next step is to taper down on use of the vapor thingies.
I quit 12 years ago (this coming May 5). Prior to that for over a year I cut down from a pack a day to 1/3 pack a day.
Even at that lower rate, I figure I saved over $6500 in 12 years - that's a lot of guitars, strings, beer, etc! 8)

#210925 by Kramerguy
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:10 pm
Everyone needs a vice :)

I assumed I'd be a lifelong smoker.. the only reason I had quit 3 years prior was simply because I couldn't afford it anymore. I had never wanted to quit, which is how I ended up back on them.. I like the vape more than the cigs lol.. I don't foresee giving it up.. my whole point is how it's a really great alternative to smoking.

#210928 by KLUGMO
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm
I quit drinking for 3 years but didn't want to really. I just couldn't afford the DUI.
I started drinking beer instead but it still had alcohol in it.
I started drinking wine coolers but they still had alcohol in it.
I started drinking jello shooters but they still had alcohol in it.
I started drinking hard cider but they still had alcohol in it.
Finally, it came to me.

Just stop drinking.[/b]

#210929 by Cajundaddy
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 pm
Good on you for leaving cigs behind Kramer. I watched my parents both struggle with tobacco addiction and chose not to follow them down that path. God bless freedom of choice, innovation and free enterprise!

But wait! Is there a little more to this story that you are not sharing:
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtr ... horny.html :D

#210936 by PaperDog
Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm
Kramerguy wrote:Everyone needs a vice :)

I assumed I'd be a lifelong smoker.. the only reason I had quit 3 years prior was simply because I couldn't afford it anymore. I had never wanted to quit, which is how I ended up back on them.. I like the vape more than the cigs lol.. I don't foresee giving it up.. my whole point is how it's a really great alternative to smoking.

Was excatly where you are...till I landed in the hospital, throwing clots... There is no simple way to say it. Keep smoking and you will die from it. You couldn't have told me...but wham... one day (literally) and your life changes drastically ...
I was fortunate . Now, 5 years later, I don't walk like Boris Karloff anymore.

Not meaning to lecture, but life is 'that' fragile.

#210939 by brad523325
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm
Been vaping for about 4 months now.
Cant believe how easy its been.
Smoking for about 30 years and have tried the patch, the drugs, the gum.
None worked for the long run.
Stick with it buddy and remember to count the smokes you dont have, not the ones you do

Bardo

#210945 by Kramerguy
Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 pm
PaperDog wrote:

Was excatly where you are...till I landed in the hospital, throwing clots... There is no simple way to say it. Keep smoking and you will die from it. You couldn't have told me...but wham... one day (literally) and your life changes drastically ...

I don't understand where you are coming from-
Vaping is NOT smoking, it's a smoking replacement. MUCH safer on every level, including nothing but vapor into the lungs, which has zero side effects (unless you are among the 0.01% allergic to propylene glycol, and if you are, you are already having a pretty rough life...it's in everything.

So us "vapers" are still taking in nicotine? Who cares, it's not a carcinogen, and harmless at these levels of intake, other than addictive (which we're already addicted to).. for your statement to hold water, you would have to also apply it to nicotine patches, gum, and lozenges also.

#210946 by Kramerguy
Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:Good on you for leaving cigs behind Kramer. I watched my parents both struggle with tobacco addiction and chose not to follow them down that path. God bless freedom of choice, innovation and free enterprise!

But wait! Is there a little more to this story that you are not sharing:
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtr ... horny.html :D

That's funny. I might have to say that my spider sense tingles on this one...

Could it be the positive side effects of cutting out the 1001 other chemicals from analog cigarettes that could be causing the increase, and not necessarily the addition of PG?

#210948 by PaperDog
Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 pm
Kramerguy wrote:
PaperDog wrote:

Vaping is NOT smoking, it's a smoking replacement. MUCH safer on every level, including nothing but vapor into the lungs, which has zero side effects (unless you are among the 0.01% allergic to propylene glycol, and if you are, you are already having a pretty rough life...it's in everything.

So us "vapers" are still taking in nicotine? Who cares, it's not a carcinogen, and harmless at these levels of intake, other than addictive (which we're already addicted to).. for your statement to hold water, you would have to also apply it to nicotine patches, gum, and lozenges also.

Propylene Glycol is a primary ingredient in Anti-Freeze, Chorophorm and other wonderful liquids...

Nicotine in the bloodstream can pit the interior of your arteries, which in turn allow blood to pool...When that happens, clots form... From there out , its a crap-shoot as to when a clot releases...

You asked where I was coming from:

here is an excerpt from Wiki:
Nicotine increases blood pressure and heart rate in humans.[58] Nicotine can stimulate abnormal proliferation of vascular endothelial cells, similar to that seen in atherosclerosis.[59] [i](Translated, that means your vessels can swell up. Include the ones at the base of cerebellum. A swollen vessel will block oxygen. lack of Oxygen will cause vessel to form a clot.)[/i] Nicotine induces potentially atherogenic genes in human coronary artery endothelial cells.[60] Nicotine could cause microvascular injury through its action on nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs),[61] but other mechanisms are also likely at play.
A study on rats showed that nicotine exposure abolishes the beneficial and protective effects of estrogen on the hippocampus,[62] an estrogen-sensitive region of the brain involved in memory formation and retention.

I dont judge, I merely inform.

#210958 by jimmydanger
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 am
My last cigarette was on Christmas Eve. I've also reduced my alcohol intake and lost ten pounds. I need all the energy I have to keep up two bands. Busy does not describe me; manic and dangerous come to mind.

#211004 by Kramerguy
Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:58 pm
PaperDog wrote:
Kramerguy wrote:
PaperDog wrote:

Propylene Glycol is a primary ingredient in Anti-Freeze, Chorophorm and other wonderful liquids...

Nicotine in the bloodstream can pit the interior of your arteries, which in turn allow blood to pool...When that happens, clots form... From there out , its a crap-shoot as to when a clot releases...

You asked where I was coming from:

here is an excerpt from Wiki:
Nicotine increases blood pressure and heart rate in humans.[58] Nicotine can stimulate abnormal proliferation of vascular endothelial cells, similar to that seen in atherosclerosis.[59] [i](Translated, that means your vessels can swell up. Include the ones at the base of cerebellum. A swollen vessel will block oxygen. lack of Oxygen will cause vessel to form a clot.)[/i] Nicotine induces potentially atherogenic genes in human coronary artery endothelial cells.[60] Nicotine could cause microvascular injury through its action on nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs),[61] but other mechanisms are also likely at play.
A study on rats showed that nicotine exposure abolishes the beneficial and protective effects of estrogen on the hippocampus,[62] an estrogen-sensitive region of the brain involved in memory formation and retention.

I dont judge, I merely inform.

Fair enough-
You can order vapes with any PG/VG mix, including 100% VG with zero PG.

As far as nicotine goes, you can order as low as 6mg, or even 2-4 from some sites. Comparatively speaking a moderate to heavy smoker would vape about 18-24mg in their mix to equate to their former smoking intake.

So at even 6mg, nicotine is probably slightly less dangerous than a couple cups of coffee, and most certainly less dangerous than the cinnabon diet most americans prefer.

Just saying, especially compared to regular smoking, vaping is a far better choice. You can even go to zero nicotine vapes, they are quite common after people ween themselves off the nic.

#211023 by DainNobody
Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm
put the pipe down buddy

#211064 by gbheil
Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 pm
I like an occasional cigar . . . "occasional"

I like a cold beer occasionally . . . "occasionally"

I like a glass of wine every now and again . . . "every now and again"

I like a mixed drink here n there . . . "here n there"

If it were legal I'd a toke infrequently . . .

Notice a pattern ?