This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#202105 by Fearless echoes
Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 am
Ok, Been here less than 48 hours, so go easy on me...

Is it ok to download someone's demo music, add a track to it and repost it?
I would ask them, but can't without becoming a premium member and
there is no contact info available otherwise (that I can see)

Just got to the party, don't want to start a fight before I get lit.
#202106 by PaperDog
Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 am
Fearless echoes wrote:Ok, Been here less than 48 hours, so go easy on me...

In My opinion, if a musician posts a song and sets the file up as: "Others can download", then I'd be inclined to think it was fair game. If it not set up that way, and even if you could nick a copy, its probably not cool to do that, cause the setting would imply the song is not up for grabs.

FOr me, It would be a cardinal sin to post a mix of someone else's work and not give full credit where full credit is due. And if an artist found out that I posted his/her work and then asked me to remove it...I probably should abide.

But that's just me...

8)

#202122 by jw123
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 pm
I would say if you are going to add to someone elses material here, that you would give them credit for thier part. Maybe you should start a thread with a title, Like Sans or Haley, do you mind if I use your tune to add something too. Some people might get really offended if you did it without thier knowledge.

Since you are new here, you dont want to come across as an ass hole at least not at first.

My player i have my originals set so they cant be downloaded, and the covers are set so someome could download them.

#202125 by J-HALEY
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:27 pm
I would say you should be VERY careful about doing this because some people on here consider their songs "their children" and work hard to develop them. If you do something like this I say you should contact the person whom wrote, copyright, and posted the music and get their permission to post it. Unfortunately you will have to pay the $10.00 to be a premier member to do this.

#202126 by gbheil
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:47 pm
I don't know much about "etiquette" .
But to utilize another's work publicly for any reason than it's intent (entertainment ) would be dishonest in my opinion.
Asking permission is always the appropriate approach.

If being a "premier member " is the only way to obtain said permission then I see that you have three options.
1) Obtain a Premier Membership
2) Utilize the music privately.
3) Forget about it.

Welcome to the boards:

#202239 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 pm
in any instance (unless it's for your ears alone) i'd say ALWAYS ask first.

w/o you being a premier member (few of us are) i'd go w what JW suggested. start a new thread w a subject line along the lines of....

"Att: PLANETGUY overdub permission request"

and then in the actual post you might ask if the person is cool w it.

welcome to bandmix.

#202246 by Paleopete
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm
I agree, start a thread and ask permission.

#229329 by BigMack1
Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 am
I agree with the others in this thread. In fact, one of the members mentioned that there is a lot of hard work in creating the recordings. I agree wholeheartedly. I do all the instruments on all of my material that I record. Most of it has dual or triple leads (mainly harmonizing guitars like Boston's Tom Scholz). It is verrrrry time-consuming, but I find all of that hard work to be very rewarding once I hear the finished product.

Even though I do not release or post ANYTHING publicly that is not copyrighted, there is still that fear in the back of my mind that someone will do what you have mentioned. That is why I have the download option turned off. I think that if they really want to download my music, they can go to iTunes and download all they want for a buck a song.

Welcome to BandMix. :D
Mack
#229331 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 pm
PaperDog wrote:
Fearless echoes wrote:Ok, Been here less than 48 hours, so go easy on me...

In My opinion, if a musician posts a song and sets the file up as: "Others can download", then I'd be inclined to think it was fair game. If it not set up that way, and even if you could nick a copy, its probably not cool to do that, cause the setting would imply the song is not up for grabs.

FOr me, It would be a cardinal sin to post a mix of someone else's work and not give full credit where full credit is due. And if an artist found out that I posted his/her work and then asked me to remove it...I probably should abide.

But that's just me...

8)

Dawg,your back... COOL!

First of all, anything from a radio broadcast to anything with full song content can be downloaded. Technology has advanced so far that nothing can't be recorded even better than the original. If someone desires to go to all that trouble rather than paying a buck, it probably isn't because of the money.

Second I would be honored to have anyone download anything for personal enjoyment or to even show me a better way to do something. Other that my I tunes catalog is so full of different mixes, of my music, I have to go back and spend days cleaning out 300 gigs of hard drive.

Finally if it was for financial gain without consent or the participation of any realized profit, to the original creator/musician... That would be totally wrong.
However due to the extreme market conditions of getting your music into a profitable situation... Any one that has that much belief and faith in the artist, should be encouraged.

Good to hear from you DAWG!

#229333 by J-HALEY
Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:42 pm
Glen, I wish PG was back but this is an old thread from last year. I do hear from him on fb several times a year. 8)

#229335 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:57 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Glen, I wish PG was back but this is an old thread from last year. I do hear from him on fb several times a year. 8)

Well even if my eyes are getting that bad... It's always a pleasure to hear from you Mr Haley. 8)

#229339 by J-HALEY
Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 pm
Likewise my friend!

#229522 by TJS 1
Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:30 am
No. I don't think it would be O.K. I would ask for the O.K.

#229548 by Cajundaddy
Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 am
Most musicians would prefer to be asked through the forum first... except Scotty of course. He just loves it when another musician rearranges, re-mixes, or ads background vocals, synth solos or a dance beat to his tracks. You should totally do this and post it to the forum just to surprise him on his birthday! :D

#229552 by Slacker G
Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:Most musicians would prefer to be asked through the forum first... except Scotty of course. He just loves it when another musician rearranges, re-mixes, or ads background vocals, synth solos or a dance beat to his tracks. You should totally do this and post it to the forum just to surprise him on his birthday! :D

:) :) :)