This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#198529 by djmarcelca
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:22 pm
Hey Peeps,

What would be the better choice for a Solo Performer (me) for a tribute act?
I've been thinking :
    S.R.V.
    ZZ Top
    George Thorogood

Open for Suggestions

Most Musicians don't like these type of acts, But I'm pretty bitter about my former band's breakup. (We got sued due to a no-show of 1 member)

If I make enough bookings and Enough money in Signed Contracts I'd probably hire musicians as needed.

But still have the Backing tracks on hand to deal with Drunks and no-shows.
#198536 by J-HALEY
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm
djmarcelca wrote:Hey Peeps,

What would be the better choice for a Solo Performer (me) for a tribute act?
I've been thinking :
    S.R.V.
    ZZ Top
    George Thorogood

Open for Suggestions

Most Musicians don't like these type of acts, But I'm pretty bitter about my former band's breakup. (We got sued due to a no-show of 1 member)

If I make enough bookings and Enough money in Signed Contracts I'd probably hire musicians as needed.

But still have the Backing tracks on hand to deal with Drunks and no-shows.

Do all 3 of them. Having said that I am kinda partial to ZZ Top! :wink:

#198537 by gbheil
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:59 pm
Hey why not. A good mixed show would more likely gain my attention than a "tribute"

Even the word tribute makes me want to stab Cesar over and over and over again.

#198604 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:04 pm
Hey man, you've got some good sound going, judging by your vids!

I wouldn't limit myself to one artist as a tribute if you are doing solo stuff - unless you think there are places that will purposely want you in your area, for example a show with a SRV tribute band, and they want a solo artist to do an opening set, then a ZZ Top set would be perfect.

Is there a market in your area for a solo guy playing electric with MP3 backup 'band'? I don't think there is around here - generally the recorded band thing is thought of as 'almost karaoke'.

Don't give up on the 'real' band, either, you just need to get reliable people. :roll:

#198607 by Cajundaddy
Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm
Elvis! :lol:

#198616 by Deadguitars
Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:24 pm
The best choice is something you are passionate about.
8)

#198619 by Kramerguy
Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 pm
even with hired guns, you can have a no show. Rather than having backing tracks, might I suggest that you create a group where the band can perform with various considerations for missing members, for instance-

A band I used to play with, the lead singer played guitar and piano also, the bass player also sang and played guitar in a different band, the drummer could do any range from a full kit down to a single hand-drum, and used a wide variety in-between, and myself.. well, I play guitar and bass, and do backup vocals.

In a nutshell, we could go out as a full band, or a trio, or any two of us could get together and do a duo (except me and the drummer) and 2 of 4 of us could do solo shows. This ensured that crap like what you dealt with never ever happens, and everyone is replaceable (deflates egos). We even had a scenario where we did a trade show, split up into two duos on opposite sides, then met in the middle and did full band stuff.

As far as the question, as a solo artist, I'd say none of the above.. soloing is a totally different approach than full bands.. and you need to cover stuff that you can mimic well as a soloist.. unless you are talking about using backing tracks for the rest of the instruments.. then I'd just say no.. don't do it.

#198623 by djmarcelca
Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:Elvis! :lol:

I dj'd a company party this year with an ELVIS guy.

No Band
He didn't even play guitar.

Just him, his Zoot Suit, Pompadore wig and MP3's played from a MAC book