This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#194728 by aaron1006
Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am
what are your throughts on epiphone guitar

#194740 by jimmydanger
Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm
Epiphone is a good low to mid priced brand of Gibson knock-offs. The first acoustic guitar I owned was an Epiphone. Good to learn on but eventually you will want something better if you stick with it.

#194741 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:37 pm
What type of music do you play? Epiphone make some real cheap guitars and some decent ones, too.

#194747 by Slacker G
Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm
I own an Epiphone Les Paul and a 60's Gibson Les Paul. The Epiphone is the better instrument. The craftsmanship is better, the finish is better and it sounds on par with the Gibson. I also have an "F: hole arch top Epiphone that is hands down better than any of the other Gibson Arch tops that I have owned.

Wood is wood. Craftsmanship is craftsmanship. If the instrument is made of good tonewood, and the craftsmanship is equally good, one brand is as good as another. I have never ran across a problem such as slanty-eyed wood.

In the past, the electronics were the biggest problem with cheaper guitars. But my Epi Les Paul sounds every bit as good as my Gibson Les Paul. Even comparing high dollar Gibsons with cheaper Gibsons you will find some cheaper models that play as well or better than some higher priced models.

Perhaps it depends on how hard the builders and quality control folks partied the night before they passed the instrument.

However, I am biased by the way a guitar plays and sounds as opposed to the brand name it bears. I have found el cheapo rip offs that play and sound better than high dollar guitars, and that has not been uncommon in my experience of repairing and setting up guitars for music stores in the area.

#194756 by Kramerguy
Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 pm
I currently own an epiphone DOT and it's among the best guitars I've ever played. It's far above the typical guitar in the same price range. I bought it back in 2007, new.

I also play a epi les paul standard model and it's a good guitar.. but not great- it plays good. The nut on it cracked and needed to be replaced, and also the chrome is pitting and the guitar is less than two years old.

I don't know if I just got a really good one in one run and a so-so one from a newer run, or if their quality is on the decline- not enough info to make a solid determination, but so far, I'd buy another which is more than I can say for any Fender products.

I'd still buy a Kramer over either lol.. but I'm biased on that one.

#194759 by gtZip
Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:28 pm
Slacker G wrote:I own an Epiphone Les Paul and a 60's Gibson Les Paul. The Epiphone is the better instrument. The craftsmanship is better, the finish is better and it sounds on par with the Gibson. I also have an "F: hole arch top Epiphone that is hands down better than any of the other Gibson Arch tops that I have owned.

Wood is wood. Craftsmanship is craftsmanship. If the instrument is made of good tonewood, and the craftsmanship is equally good, one brand is as good as another. I have never ran across a problem such as slanty-eyed wood.

In the past, the electronics were the biggest problem with cheaper guitars. But my Epi Les Paul sounds every bit as good as my Gibson Les Paul. Even comparing high dollar Gibsons with cheaper Gibsons you will find some cheaper models that play as well or better than some higher priced models.

Perhaps it depends on how hard the builders and quality control folks partied the night before they passed the instrument.

However, I am biased by the way a guitar plays and sounds as opposed to the brand name it bears. I have found el cheapo rip offs that play and sound better than high dollar guitars, and that has not been uncommon in my experience of repairing and setting up guitars for music stores in the area.

BAH...

#194762 by jw123
Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:44 pm
Ive got an Epiphone Sheraton, at the time i got it i was jonsen for a Gibby 335, well I played this thing and it sounded and felt better than the 335s I had sampled. Plus it was only 400 with case, whereas I couldnt touch a 335 under 1200.

Dont play it much these days, as Im a Les Paul man, 1960 Classic Reissues,, got a couple, they are just it for me, probably like Kramers are for Kramer! LOL!

I think an instrument doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg, or have some certain name on it to be great, it just needs to feel good, sound good to the holder and inspire them to want to play it.

Although Im a LP man there are many Ive played that I didnt like, I own a 72 Gold Top with P-90s and have no desire to play it, it is just on a stand in my den as art or furniture.
#194766 by Cajundaddy
Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:59 pm
aaron1006 wrote:what are your thoughts on epiphone guitar

Trust your eyes, your ears, and your hands. If it looks good, sounds good, and feels good it's a keeper. A nice Epi offers a lot of guitar value for the $$.

These guys did ok making music with Epiphone guitars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Epiphone_players

#194787 by Starfish Scott
Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:06 pm
Never met an Epiphone I liked...yet.

#194813 by JCP61
Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:38 pm
heard they were ok if you like a Gibson
never played one though

#194857 by Slacker G
Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:57 am
Most of you haven't been around long enough to know, but Epiphone was King for a long time. Their guitars were the ones you had to have if you were any kind of musician at all. Their kids ruined the business to the point of bankruptcy and then Gibson bought them out.

#194860 by Starfish Scott
Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:14 am
...and then really made them sh*t so that they were obviously inferior so that they wouldn't be able to compete with a Gibson.

#194873 by Hayden King
Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 am
I waited and held out (due to finances) and waited and held out...
My friend had an Epiphone LP in his store. Man i wish i'd bought it. Played like kids in a puddle. sounded Great.
I haven't played a Les Paul that played or sounded any better. and it was down to $325 :cry:

#194882 by crunchysoundbite
Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:16 pm
I get this feel from Epi's that they really try to keep their name on high. Precision on a budget. I have played Epi's that really rang out with easy action, hard to put down. Any Epi's I've played that I didn't like were used and may have sustained storage abuse. My electric Epi is the most versatile guitar I have. All the sound options it has packed into it, it can get into about any range an electric can do. As a name brand, I'd say it's like anything else. Pick it up. Play with it. If it enjoys your company, it will beg you to take it home. Otherwise, it's just another guitar. :wink:

#194883 by Kramerguy
Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:34 pm
Another note- Epiphone is one of the few companies that gives a lifetime warranty on all parts/repair for the lifetime of the guitar.. I've never bothered to use it (the nut cracking could be called abuse, could have been hit or the guitar falling down).. but it's nice to know they will fix it for free when switches or pots go bad.