This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

I think this is a great idea!

33%
67%
N/A
#7830 by Musicwithadifference
Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:12 pm
Hello there,

We are a group of promoters currently negotiating partnerships with a few record labels to sign on a new band, and we are in the process of auditioning musicians for it. And while, this might sound like any other band, there is a difference. Read on…

See, all of us in this project have been closely associated with someone with epilepsy, and because of our individual experiences, we wanted to sincerely honor people with epilepsy for their inspiring strength and great passion for life. We pitched this idea to the companies late January and things are finally moving ahead after a few handshakes.

To that effect, here’s the deal. We’re going all over the country in search for talented musicians with epilepsy who would form a four-member band. You’ll be signed on for three years with a record label, an album-recording gig and a band-launch road tour. We are beginning to line up all the logistics needed to make this a reality, and things have already started getting underway. Sure does look like exciting times ahead!

So, if you think you got what it takes to be a part of this phenomenon, email us with a brief bio at [email protected]. We’ve set the ball rolling in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Austin, Texas and NYC! Spread the word. Tell someone you know about this great opportunity.

#7834 by gexclamationpoint
Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:48 pm
honestly, i don't think its a good idea.

youre going around the country looking for musicians, and then youre going to just put them together and call it a band and say "you all have epilepsy, so you all can obviously relate to each other, now make music!"?

what about individual musical influences, and individual personalities? just because they have one thing in common, it doesnt mean youll be able to put them together and theyll be 100% compatible and start "inspiring" other people with epilepsy.

just because i play guitar and am italian, it doesnt mean i could fly over to california, find someone who plays drums and is italian, and we'd automatically hit it off and be compatible musicians.

#7835 by Irminsul
Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:05 am
I think your heart is in the right place, but I think it's also a very flawed idea very much along the lines of what g! already stated (so I won't simply echo him). If you are so passionately driven to do something for the cause of treating or preventing epilepsy, there has to be hundreds of organizations already going that you could volunteer your services or your financial donation to aid.

No offense, but your idea smacks of "freak show".

#7853 by djmistat
Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:30 am
if you really want to do something , you could get loads of musicians to perform at an epilepsy awareness event ive been involved in several similar projects over this side of the water, it seems your hearts in the right place, but you would probably put a lot of noses out of place, and tread on a lot of peoples toes, upsetting people as you go about this ..you might wanna reconsider....

#7856 by mistermikev
Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:28 pm
I don't see any harm in trying this out. I hope it works for you/them. Wish I could turn you on to someone who would fit the bill here, but then again I guess I'm lucky I can't. Good luck.

#8433 by JoeyQ
Fri May 11, 2007 9:12 pm
Good Luck with your project!!!Wish I lived back in NYC>>>>Florida is hard to find a pro..band....that needs an excelent bassist!!Rock Out!

Joe/aka Neostar :D

#9487 by johnnya
Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:51 pm
I had a friend also, a bassist who had epilespy, he did great, but told us of his situation, we took his advice and continued, while we were doing a gig at a bar, at the end of the house of the rising sun, it cut short, on cue, but when i turned around, my friend was having a attack. It really got me scared for him, the drummer caught him before he hit the ground, if you do this, talk to every member about making the gig more aware of having nearby medics, luckly for us there was a perimed and a nurse in the audience and 10 minutes later, my brother a bassist walked in to get a drink and i drafted him for the rest of the night. thank God everything turned out well.
#9502 by fisherman bob
Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:33 am
you can find enough talented people who can put a good band together. I've played with a few musicians over the years who weren't epileptic, but who definitely had learning handicaps, who became quite accomplished through hard work. Whether your project works or not is irrelevant, the main thing it gives some people an opportunity to at least have a chance to succeed. Sometimes the effort is more important than the results, and I applaud you for giving this project a try. My son is severely handicapped and it's the effort at what he tries which gives us hope that some day he may succeed at something. You don't know how much this may mean to those who up to this point may not have any hope of ever playing in a band. Good luck to you. Your friendly neighborhood bluesman fisherman bob