This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#180377 by TamsNumber4
Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 am
I don't want to upset anyone or send out negative vibes, but I'm pretty upset by what happened to me today and I felt like putting it out into the world. I hope you understand my need for it and allow me this moment to sort of gripe.

I'M SO ANGRY!! I went to charge $11 on my Macy's card, a card I have had for 20 YEARS! They said I hadn't used it in two years (I've had lots of gift cards, I shop there all of the time) and had to run a check on it and they CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT because I'm a STAY-AT-HOME-MOM (saying I generate no income)!! I said that I have been a stay-at-home mom for 12 years (while still having my card) and don't owe on my card and have good credit. That didn't matter, she said, "BRING YOUR HUSBAND IN WITH YOU AND SIGN UP FOR A JOINT ACCOUNT!!" What am I? A fricken child?? Is this not DISCRIMINATION? I sort of understand their concern, but I have a history with them, a FRICKEN GOOD ONE TOO!! I'm really unhappy!!

I admit it hurt my feelings too...I worked really hard through college, I have a BS degree, then I put my husband through Graduate school for his MS and then worked to buy our first home. I have two autistic children at home.... I worked really hard to get those credit cards and get my good rating, my husband NEVER got his own credit card, he always lived off of my accounts. I didn't think it was fair that my long history with them, all 20 years of working and not working didn't matter one bit.

Again, I'm sorry, I'm just feeling really upset and needed to vent, I hope you understand.

#180380 by gbheil
Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:10 am
Your better off without the cards Tams. And you should not do business with whomever backs that particular card again.
It's really not "discrimination" . But it's damn poor business practice.
I have a list of folk I wont do business with if I can avoid them.

Take a deep breath and realize:
YOUR JOB IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE WORLD.

In short.

To hell with those fellas, buzzards got to eat same as worms. :wink:
#180382 by PaperDog
Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 am
TamsNumber4 wrote:I don't want to upset anyone or send out negative vibes, but I'm pretty upset by what happened to me today and I felt like putting it out into the world. I hope you understand my need for it and allow me this moment to sort of gripe.

I'M SO ANGRY!! I went to charge $11 on my Macy's card, a card I have had for 20 YEARS! They said I hadn't used it in two years (I've had lots of gift cards, I shop there all of the time) and had to run a check on it and they CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT because I'm a STAY-AT-HOME-MOM (saying I generate no income)!! I said that I have been a stay-at-home mom for 12 years (while still having my card) and don't owe on my card and have good credit. That didn't matter, she said, "BRING YOUR HUSBAND IN WITH YOU AND SIGN UP FOR A JOINT ACCOUNT!!" What am I? A fricken child?? Is this not DISCRIMINATION? I sort of understand their concern, but I have a history with them, a FRICKEN GOOD ONE TOO!! I'm really unhappy!!

I admit it hurt my feelings too...I worked really hard through college, I have a BS degree, then I put my husband through Graduate school for his MS and then worked to buy our first home. I have two autistic children at home.... I worked really hard to get those credit cards and get my good rating, my husband NEVER got his own credit card, he always lived off of my accounts. I didn't think it was fair that my long history with them, all 20 years of working and not working didn't matter one bit.

Again, I'm sorry, I'm just feeling really upset and needed to vent, I hope you understand.

Tammy,

I seriously understand your sentiment...I had a similar experience with a bank, for different reasons.

A couple of things. Under the Fair Credit Act:

The Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) prohibits credit discrimination on the basis of sex, race, marital status, religion, national origin, age, or receipt of public assistance. Creditors may ask for this information (except religion) in certain situations, but they may not use it to discriminate against you when deciding whether to grant you credit.
The ECOA protects consumers who deal with companies that regularly extend credit, including banks, small loan and finance companies, retail and department stores, credit card companies, and credit unions. Everyone who participates in the decision to grant credit, including real estate brokers who arrange financing, must follow this law. Businesses applying for credit also are protected by this law. Under the Equal Credit Opportunity Act: You cannot be denied credit based on your race, sex, marital status, religion, age, national origin, or receipt of public assistance. You have the right to have reliable public assistance considered in the same manner as other income. If you are denied credit, you have a legal right to know why.

ALso, note, This might be a function of the Bank, which Macy's does business with. Macy's decisions are driven by their bank's credit and financing policies, which are currently very tight and restrictive.

One solution might be to contact the highest manager at Macy's, and cite the rules of ECOA regarding discrimination. (The appearance of leverage might at least get them to open a dialog with you) Maybe that manager will use specific discretion on behalf of your application.

If the manger still opts to deny your application, then remind him/her, of your tenure and what they are losing... If that don't work, drop em like a bad habit; you don't need em.

Re: Credit reports:
Notify all three agancies (TRANSUNION, EXPERION and EQUIFAX... ) Assert the discrimmination clause and get them to remove the red flag (the one they mark in, when a credit check is done on you via the application process)

Re: Legal/Court.

If:
1) Your credit becomes damaged by the Macy's denial of credit...AND...
2) Damage was result of the discrimmination (Be Able to prove) ...AND...
3) Damage cant be corrected and resolved in the three credt reporting agencies

Then you should contact an attorney.

#180395 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm
Legal/credit ratings aside, stop shopping there and make sure the management at Macy's knows why. Overpriced stuff anyway.

If nothing else, basis for a new song. :wink:

#180402 by jw123
Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm
"I gots dem creddddiiiittttttt card blews!"

#180413 by KLUGMO
Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 pm
I hear you Tams, but thus is the world we all live in. Despite what P Dog
added its all a game and they are the ONLY winners. Reality is
you can buy the same stuff at the same place with another card
that I'm sure some other creditor will give you that probably has more
benefits like points and such. Just save your blood preasure and move on. I commend you for your attention to paying off the card and keeping
it payed off. So many people dont or wont do that and get themselves in hot water.

Get one of these cards that you get a lot of points on and get free merchandise.
BB&T has a good program and interest rate. You are the Shizzel in the
Fizzel girl. So do an end arround run and dont loose a step. :lol: [/b]

#180423 by TheCaptain
Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 pm
Nothing to say about the cards, but ANY stay at home mom gets a big smile from me.
well done...keep it up

Peace,
Rich

#180428 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:00 am
Tams, that just plain ain't nice, fair, just , and a whole bunch of other words.

Sorry you are pissed, you are a sweetheart.

If you want I will go into detail of what you just ran into. Have time to read war and peace or even dahlgren 3 times over. Let me start typing.

Don't use credit ever, period. end of discussion. Not for 11 bucks.

Sorry Tams, that is what happens to gentle hearts like you.

If it was to start a business or finance a home that is different, but not 11 bucks. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

#180441 by MikeTalbot
Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:34 am
Tams

I never applied for credit until I was thirty five and it was a major hassle. I finally called them until I got a reasonable fellow and he took a risk. A risk that made his company a good deal of money over the next ten years.

Be advised that the scoundrels that run our world do not like stay at home moms. i read a lot of Lenin in my youth so this does not surprise me but it certainly does disgust me.

God bless
Talbot

#180460 by JCP61
Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:25 am
well truthfully,
credit is based on a source of income,
and the underwriters are trying to establish a source of income.
credit by it's very nature is discriminatory.
our present economic dilemma has grown out of governments trying to make credit non-discriminatory.
which is not credit at all, that is called a gift.

#180462 by Slacker G
Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:11 pm
Never used a credit card in my life. I see no need for them whatsoever if monies are managed wisely. As someone with authority once said "Owe no man anything".

#180464 by JCP61
Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 pm
"neither a borrower nor a lender be"
Hamlet
William Shakespeare

#180466 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:32 pm
GLENNY J wrote: Have time to read war and peace or even dahlgren 3 times over.

Delaney's Dhalgren? I read that so many times my paperback started falling apart!
#180471 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:03 pm
TamsNumber4 wrote:I worked really hard through college, I have a BS degree, then I put my husband through Graduate school for his MS and then worked to buy our first home. I have two autistic children at home....

You are a HERO, Tams!

So the credit you've basically paid for over the last several years, your husband gets accounted to him by these people? Just because you have the REAL job while he leaves home for (easier) work?

Macy's? I can't relate...but they are already starting to hand credit cards out like they were when the economy dumped. Macy's doesn't deserve you.

Read the fine print though. It's amazing the scams they can legally do now too.

#180495 by JCP61
Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:58 am
nobody wants to live in the real world these days.............