This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#172732 by Cajundaddy
Fri May 11, 2012 3:41 am
Ok, so I went out and played in the Battle of The Blues contest and got out-gunned by some snot nosed college kid who probably never even listened to BB King on vinyl while sittin' on the front porch on a hot summer evening. What kind of world is this now! Oh well, the kid sure could play though. Pure LA style with a lot of Bonamassa in him. Bravo! He earned it. 8)
#172738 by PaperDog
Fri May 11, 2012 5:38 am
Thejohnny7band wrote:Ok, so I went out and played in the Battle of The Blues contest and got out-gunned by some snot nosed college kid who probably never even listened to BB King on vinyl while sittin' on the front porch on a hot summer evening. What kind of world is this now! Oh well, the kid sure could play though. Pure LA style with a lot of Bonamassa in him. Bravo! He earned it. 8)

I kinda know how you feel... There's a 19 year old kid in my neighborhood who has put every guitar slinger, young and old to some degree of shame... This kid is a left handed player, and he made it a point to emulate the jimi Hendrix moves...But he does that for a gimmick... When he gets up for real, , he plays lead, sings, and with a backing band, this young man absolutely rocks the house...

#172745 by JCP61
Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 am
all you can do is sing your song,

people give me a hard time cause my music is strange or crazy, but it is my music and no one plays it better than me.
everyone on the planet plays led zep better than me, that's for sure.

there will always be someone down the block who is better and faster.

It dose kinda rankle when they are decades younger though.

#172746 by fisherman bob
Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am
The new young guns may be technically superior in some ways when it comes to the blues but there's something missing emotionally in their playing. Their playing is too mechanical. They might be able to play incredible licks. They might have one-upsmanship on Hendrix playing with his teeth. But, they just don't have the "feel" of the blues masters. Try as you might, you can't copy BB King and have the same emotional content. I'm impressed by the young gun's mechanical ability, but he (or she) doesn't have the lifetime of living the blues to get the emotion out of the instrument. A perfect example of what I'm saying: Listen to Sammy Lawhorn's guitar solos on Junior Wells' "On Tap" album, especially in the song "Key To The Highway." His playing sends chills up and down my spine. That particular solo sounds simple enough, but the tone and feel of the guitar is elegant blues mastery. The thing for me is not technical wizzardry, but is it really bluesy? Does it impart any emotion?

#172761 by Cajundaddy
Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm
fisherman bob wrote:The new young guns may be technically superior in some ways when it comes to the blues but there's something missing emotionally in their playing. Their playing is too mechanical. They might be able to play incredible licks. They might have one-upsmanship on Hendrix playing with his teeth. But, they just don't have the "feel" of the blues masters. Try as you might, you can't copy BB King and have the same emotional content. I'm impressed by the young gun's mechanical ability, but he (or she) doesn't have the lifetime of living the blues to get the emotion out of the instrument. A perfect example of what I'm saying: Listen to Sammy Lawhorn's guitar solos on Junior Wells' "On Tap" album, especially in the song "Key To The Highway." His playing sends chills up and down my spine. That particular solo sounds simple enough, but the tone and feel of the guitar is elegant blues mastery. The thing for me is not technical wizzardry, but is it really bluesy? Does it impart any emotion?

I hear you Bob. I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to really tear up the fretboard but often what wins a contest is different than what moves an audience during a performance. There are a lot of great players out there and each one brings a little something different to the table. I applaud GC for bringing these guys out of the woodwork.

I searched youtube for the winning performance from my night but couldn't find it. Here is another guy in the area who won at the Murietta store. I know this guy and he runs a website called Bluesguitarunleashed where he gives online lessons. Love him or not, I think we can all agree that he plays pretty well. This is a good example of The Blues LA style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa1IeAWEjmE

#172833 by gbheil
Sat May 12, 2012 1:15 am
Dayum ...

#172839 by fisherman bob
Sat May 12, 2012 1:29 am
sanshouheil wrote:Dayum ...
. If dayum means "I'm bored" I agree. The LA store guy is trying too hard to sound like a blues guitarist. The LA blues "sound" is just like the Kansas City blues "sound" which is like the Chicago blues "sound"....

#172841 by gbheil
Sat May 12, 2012 1:36 am
fisherman bob wrote:
. If dayum means "I'm bored" I agree. The LA store guy is trying too hard to sound like a blues guitarist. The LA blues "sound" is just like the Kansas City blues "sound" which is like the Chicago blues "sound"....

Not being a "blues" player or purist ... I really enjoyed his playing Bob.

It might over the top? Well ... yes. He was playing by himself & in a "contest".

It's my personal opinion that all "contests" are trite bullshit.
As the "winner" is based on some assholes opinion ( not unlike my own )

I also believe most are bought and paid for before the first note falls.
The prick in the back with the head mike and smug look on his face was all the proof I needed.
I was taught to "read" energy by a master of the craft.
His body language was louder than his buddy's guitar.

#172850 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat May 12, 2012 2:08 am
JO7, I love your video, and I love your playing.

That is one tough gig to do. No band, sterile backing tracks, not your own amp, etc etc etc.

I have to give any one credit for trying to do that. KUDOS JOHNNY!!!!!!

#172855 by Cajundaddy
Sat May 12, 2012 2:49 am
Thanks for the props Glen. Hey it was fun and yes very different than grooving late at night with a live band. The other players all had good things to say about my old school style and tone and there were several really good players there that night.

Come to think of it, I don't have any good blues recordings. I guess I'll have to change that. I play a lot of different styles but the blues is really the only stuff that people get all slack-jawed about and say stuff like " Dude! I knew you played guitar but I had no idea you played like... that! Sounds like a good summer project.

#172935 by fisherman bob
Sun May 13, 2012 5:41 am
sanshouheil wrote:
fisherman bob wrote:

Not being a "blues" player or purist ... I really enjoyed his playing Bob.

It might over the top? Well ... yes. He was playing by himself & in a "contest".

It's my personal opinion that all "contests" are trite bullshit.
As the "winner" is based on some assholes opinion ( not unlike my own )

I also believe most are bought and paid for before the first note falls.
The prick in the back with the head mike and smug look on his face was all the proof I needed.
I was taught to "read" energy by a master of the craft.
His body language was louder than his buddy's guitar.
. You're 100% spot-on when you say contests are bought. I've been involved in a few musical "contests" and I can say unequivacally that there's always politics involved. Funny, I wasn't looking at the "prick in the back" but your sensory apparatus is equivalent to a finely tuned bullsh*tometer. Good catch....