This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#171126 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 pm
My wife has been telling me for some time 'no more guitars'! To which I reply 'no more clothes'!
I've got a nice selection of electrics (for recording, at least), but for acoustics I've just got an ancient Epiphone 6 string which I pop a Markley pickup in when needed (and sounds great mic-ed for recording), and an Ibanez 12 string acoustic-electric.
Really could use a dedicated 6 string acoustic-electric, and have my eyes on a couple at the local GC.
Now how do I keep my wife from busting my nuts about it? "Honey I need it for the Beatles gigs ..." nor "it's my birthday present to myself" will be completely acceptable reasons! (but it is my birthday next Tuesday, and it looks like that will be my audition day for the Beatles tribute band).

#171141 by jw123
Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:43 pm
Mike I have an old washburn that I had for years and used for acoustic shows, but this guy showed up one day with a CORT acoustic electric, and honestly this rascal feels as good as any acoustic Ive ever owned or played.

No advice on reconciling a new purchase with the wife, thats tough!

Good Luck

#171244 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm
Well they said just bring a guitar and amp for the audition, so I can put off buying the new acoustic for a while. I can order it from Sweetwater at the same price as GC and get an extra year on the warranty, too, so no hurry at this point.
My wife asked me yesterday what I wanted for my birthday and I replied 'other than another guitar?' :wink: Funny thing is that she has bought me my workstation keyboard, a mandolin, and this past christmas a hardshell case for my Epi Dot. :D

#171246 by Etu Malku
Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm
GC!!! No, you want to shop at American Musical Supply :wink:
#171277 by PaperDog
Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:My wife has been telling me for some time 'no more guitars'! To which I reply 'no more clothes'!
I've got a nice selection of electrics (for recording, at least), but for acoustics I've just got an ancient Epiphone 6 string which I pop a Markley pickup in when needed (and sounds great mic-ed for recording), and an Ibanez 12 string acoustic-electric.
Really could use a dedicated 6 string acoustic-electric, and have my eyes on a couple at the local GC.
Now how do I keep my wife from busting my nuts about it? "Honey I need it for the Beatles gigs ..." nor "it's my birthday present to myself" will be completely acceptable reasons! (but it is my birthday next Tuesday, and it looks like that will be my audition day for the Beatles tribute band).

I think your best bet is with the epiphone... The thing with tribute music it seems...if you can exude the spirit in the audition, the technical issues can get ironed out later... just my 2 cents

#171292 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 pm
Dog - they didn't say 'bring an acoustic', so I'm bringing my 72 Tele. When I throw a pickup in the Epi there's no volume/tone control at the guitar, so it's not the best for live work.

Etu - I've never used AMS, are they any better/different than Sweetwater? Sweetwater takes Paypal and has the same ABS acoustic case for $5 less than AMS. :)

#171326 by gbheil
Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm
Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... guitars ... 8)

#171655 by robert472118
Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:08 pm
Buy your dream acoustic. I'm a Martin & Taylor guy, myself. Hide it somewhere for a few weeks. When your wife discovers it, you say "Oh, THIS guitar? No, Doll, it's not new. I've had this one for quite a while now."
It likely won't work, but let me know if it does.

#171659 by gbheil
Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 am
robert472118 wrote:Buy your dream acoustic. I'm a Martin & Taylor guy, myself. Hide it somewhere for a few weeks. When your wife discovers it, you say "Oh, THIS guitar? No, Doll, it's not new. I've had this one for quite a while now."
It likely won't work, but let me know if it does.

It don't ... tried that one with guitars and guns before.

#171665 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:22 am
Definitely won't work! Already used it! :oops:

#171919 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 pm
For my audition last night, I just brought my 72 Tele (a $5K guitar will impress if people know their instruments!) but next week, I'll bring an acoustic and an electric. Looks like the Epi (with Markley pickup in it) may get called into action, unless I find a deal at a guitar shop recommended by a friend on Saturday :)
#173931 by Astral Eyes
Tue May 22, 2012 5:11 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:My wife has been telling me for some time 'no more guitars'! To which I reply 'no more clothes'!

Very simply tell her that she married a musician. If she wanted to save money, she should have married a drug addict. Drug habits are cheaper than musician habits. :wink:

#173943 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 22, 2012 1:07 pm
haha!

Put a deposit down on a used a/e 2 weeks ago, there's a 30 day hold time in New Hampshire for used guitars. Can pick it up anytime after Thursday (which is my wife's birthday!) "Look what I got me for your birthday, honey!"

#173966 by gbheil
Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 pm
:shock:

Be sure you leave it to me in your will before she kills your ass.

#174026 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm
You'd want all the little bitty pieces? :lol:
I'm going to wait until the weekend to get it - GC is having another 15% off deal, and although the guitar won't get it (used), I should be able to get some money back on the case and strings, or get them to throw in a new leather strap at least.