This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#170864 by DainNobody
Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 am
in the long run it just ain't worth it, he will make you a mentally unbalanced soul in the end, but don't get me wrong, Lucifer was despised by God for not lying prostrate honoring God's new invention (MAN), made out of clay while Lucifer was made from fire, poor guy at least worshipped God and loved him to no end, moreso than 99.9% of humans that in today's world don't even have the sense to realize it is a miracle how man was created from a lump of clay..I almost agree with Lucifer in my hatred of the society man has created, so phoney baloney, Kim Kardashian worshipping misfits with shallow celebrity cult minds.... and uuuhh, you psychic vampires that drain the life force from other more talented musicians, go jump in a lake.get some practice first, cause you will be jumping into the Lake of Fire when your time comes..which is soon enough..

#170867 by Etu Malku
Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:41 am
You jest with all of that i hope? :shock:

#170868 by Slacker G
Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:18 am
Geeze ...... Now you tell me. :cry:

#170879 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 am
We Sold Our Souls to Rock n' Roll.

I didn't know you were so religous Dane.

I'm already mentally unbalanced, I don't need
anybody's help.

They don't have the Lake Of Fire down in Branson,
wait they got Fire in the Hole. lol

Worried Etu?

#170897 by Starfish Scott
Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm
Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go down to the lake of fire and fry

Get your tin foil suit ready...cause the heat is ON !!!

Dane didn't we see you at the onset of the last meltdown?
If the "skinny" is true, you are an unsavory character (and that's the PC version).

#170898 by JCP61
Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm

#170899 by Etu Malku
Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm
The legend of selling a soul to the devil in exchange for musical prowess has been associated with many genres of music for centuries. But it?s stuck more firmly to the blues than to any other music. However, the truth is that when blues singers talked about the devil they were more likely referring to a mistreating woman or boss than to the Price of Darkness.

Skip James recorded ?Devil Got My Woman? in 1931. He had an amazing voice where he certainly sounds haunted by something from hell. But he was more troubled by his woman than anything supernatural.

Washboard Sam recorded another song associating his woman with the devil in 1941, ?She Belongs to the Devil.?

Most non-religious types of music (and many activities) were dubbed the work of the devil church folk, the blues may earned the lasting sobriquet the Devil?s Music because some blues musicians embraced the image. One major blues star of the 1930s took it so far as to use it as a successful marketing tool. He called himself the High Sheriff from Hell or the Devil?s Son-In-Law and became one of the most popular and imitated musicians of his time. Peetie Wheatstraw probably gained many fans looking for a form of slight rebellion, because he presented a somewhat subversive alternative to the activities deemed acceptable by the church without being truly threatening.

Peetie Wheatstraw worked hard to establish that link to the devil and it would have been understood as all in fun by his audience. It?s a different story with Tommy Johnson who is also closely linked with the devil. In his case, the story that he sold his soul to the devil came years after his life had ended. His brother LeDell, a minister, told the classic tale of Tommy going to the crossroads to meet the devil and coming away with the ability to play any song he wanted. Though references to the devil are absent from Tommy Johnson?s music, this story has become an important part of the mythology of the blues. It must be remembered that it came from a man devoted to the church who considered a life outside of the church, a devil?s life. Big Road Blues was one of his popular songs that many of his followers would play later.

The lyrics in Lonnie Johnson?s ?Devil?s Got the Blues? may get at the place of the devil in the blues more accurately than anyone else. Lonnie Johnson sings ?the blues is like the devil it comes on you like a spell, it will leave your heart full of trouble and your poor mind full of hell.? The blues and the devil are both represent what?s wrong in the world, so it?s not surprising that the two would intersect quite often. The devil is most often used to represent the trouble, rather than a promise to sacrifice a soul as often referenced in the Robert Johnson legend (that also applied to Tommy Johnson and others). But Robert Johnson was just another man in this same tradition who was heavily influenced by some of the musicians I?ve played. He should be remembered for his music and the tradition he came, not as an exception that got his music through supernatural means.

#170905 by jw123
Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:25 pm
LOL, me and some friends went down into MS once supposedly where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the crossroad, I would probably have done it if he had showed up, but all I got were misquito bites.

You can believe or reason anything, dot over think it just learn how to play your guitar and forget about religion in relation to that, its all hokus pokus anyway!

#170912 by DainNobody
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm
Etu Malku wrote:The legend of selling a soul to the devil in exchange for musical prowess has been associated with many genres of music for centuries. But it?s stuck more firmly to the blues than to any other music. However, the truth is that when blues singers talked about the devil they were more likely referring to a mistreating woman or boss than to the Price of Darkness.

Skip James recorded ?Devil Got My Woman? in 1931. He had an amazing voice where he certainly sounds haunted by something from hell. But he was more troubled by his woman than anything supernatural.

Washboard Sam recorded another song associating his woman with the devil in 1941, ?She Belongs to the Devil.?

Most non-religious types of music (and many activities) were dubbed the work of the devil church folk, the blues may earned the lasting sobriquet the Devil?s Music because some blues musicians embraced the image. One major blues star of the 1930s took it so far as to use it as a successful marketing tool. He called himself the High Sheriff from Hell or the Devil?s Son-In-Law and became one of the most popular and imitated musicians of his time. Peetie Wheatstraw probably gained many fans looking for a form of slight rebellion, because he presented a somewhat subversive alternative to the activities deemed acceptable by the church without being truly threatening.

Peetie Wheatstraw worked hard to establish that link to the devil and it would have been understood as all in fun by his audience. It?s a different story with Tommy Johnson who is also closely linked with the devil. In his case, the story that he sold his soul to the devil came years after his life had ended. His brother LeDell, a minister, told the classic tale of Tommy going to the crossroads to meet the devil and coming away with the ability to play any song he wanted. Though references to the devil are absent from Tommy Johnson?s music, this story has become an important part of the mythology of the blues. It must be remembered that it came from a man devoted to the church who considered a life outside of the church, a devil?s life. Big Road Blues was one of his popular songs that many of his followers would play later.

The lyrics in Lonnie Johnson?s ?Devil?s Got the Blues? may get at the place of the devil in the blues more accurately than anyone else. Lonnie Johnson sings ?the blues is like the devil it comes on you like a spell, it will leave your heart full of trouble and your poor mind full of hell.? The blues and the devil are both represent what?s wrong in the world, so it?s not surprising that the two would intersect quite often. The devil is most often used to represent the trouble, rather than a promise to sacrifice a soul as often referenced in the Robert Johnson legend (that also applied to Tommy Johnson and others). But Robert Johnson was just another man in this same tradition who was heavily influenced by some of the musicians I?ve played. He should be remembered for his music and the tradition he came, not as an exception that got his music through supernatural means.

http://youtu.be/PGM7rNwHSzw . now tell me the d'evil does not have any input into a guy's skill..as the devil tuned Paganini's fiddle, he is just as adept at "tuning" your guitat

#170914 by DainNobody
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
http://youtu.be/nWAohdmCl4o

another guitarist (one of my favorites) with a skill level that can not be attained without some outside "help"
Lee, thanks for the reply, hope you are doing well, Chelsea asked me to entertain the crowd at the auction this past Saturday, while I was trying out those guitars there, but said, "probably nobody would pay" which is prolly true..hope I did not offend anybody there, but I did have my Doc Watson technique down pretty good that day..

#170915 by Etu Malku
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:38 pm
Here's my insight into how this Myth was created:

We all possess a higher or deeper intelligence than the everyday mind, and this is the core of a successful artistic life.

We can call this intelligence the unconscious mind, or the id. The ancient Greeks called it our Daimon which meant our "Genius". This Daimon was to become the good angel/bad devil on our shoulders.
Daimons of Greece became Demons of Greco-Roman era.

The idea of demonic possession in its distinctively Christian and pre-Christian form arose from the very same thought stream that gave us the Muse and the Daimon. The guiding daimon of the ancient Greeks, always an ambiguous and volatile figure, became the purely evil demon of the Christians, prone to usurp the personality and destabilize the community.

This no doubt, married with the Christian tinged Vodoun practiced by slaves of the Delta regions formed the basis for the marketing schemes of the early Bluesmen and of course later onto Rock N Roll, and Heavy Metal, etc.
Last edited by Etu Malku on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#170916 by Starfish Scott
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 pm
This thread is about to catch fire.

"Now all normal people clear out before you get some on ya".

#170928 by Stringdancer
Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm
God's new invention (MAN), made out of clay

Hay I made a penis out of clay once, that should make me at least a demigod. :idea:

#170931 by DainNobody
Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:45 pm
at 1:31 of Jake's you tube video when he's looking out into the crowd, do you see any eyes at all? or black holes? kinda looks like one of those monster cartoon characters on Saturday mornings..I think Jesus said the light in a person's eyes will be the determining factor whether they are a true believer....definitely spooky looking at 1:31 of the video.. he is in a state of mind that fire would have no effect on him..LOL

#170933 by JCP61
Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:51 pm
Stringdancer wrote:

Hay I made a penis out of clay once, that should make me at least a demigod. :idea:

It is a bitter thing that daddy has to say...................

I am afraid a demigod was not what it made you. :lol: