This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#169000 by XhaDoW-6
Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 pm
There i was no sh*t Just me my laptop My guitar And my distortion pedal We got about 3 riffs deep in a new idea bully got stuck at a breakdown the breakdown had us pined down 4 about a week So I popped open a cold one Cuz I only drink the finest ......yup. (Apple juice ) what I was thinking at first wasn't matching tempo of the rest of the song we were growing tired from cycling through hoping we would stumble on do something I almost said forget it and was about to write another piece in that space then bam I tripped and fell over an idea and it worked I was finally able to move on writing drum tracks simultaneously I started picking up speed ideas were opening doors to other ideas the song began to write itself after about 3 or 4 hours I cut the song off at the pass and update roughly complete all that's left is to practice and fine tune it before recording but man that was an adventure

#169003 by XhaDoW-6
Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 pm
Feel free to tell your story if you have 1

#169007 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:13 pm
I like what you say and how you express it.

But I would prefer if it wasn't one whole sentence, although it's not so bad that I can't still read it for content.

#169012 by XhaDoW-6
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:30 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:I like what you say and how you express it.

But I would prefer if it wasn't one whole sentence, although it's not so bad that I can't still read it for content.

Lol Sorry most of the time I'm voice texting lol
#169015 by PaperDog
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm
XhaDoW-6 wrote:There i was no sh*t Just me my laptop My guitar And my distortion pedal We got about 3 riffs deep in a new idea bully got stuck at a breakdown the breakdown had us pined down 4 about a week So I popped open a cold one Cuz I only drink the finest ......yup. (Apple juice ) what I was thinking at first wasn't matching tempo of the rest of the song we were growing tired from cycling through hoping we would stumble on do something I almost said forget it and was about to write another piece in that space then bam I tripped and fell over an idea and it worked I was finally able to move on writing drum tracks simultaneously I started picking up speed ideas were opening doors to other ideas the song began to write itself after about 3 or 4 hours I cut the song off at the pass and update roughly complete all that's left is to practice and fine tune it before recording but man that was an adventure

Its always a good feeling to arrive on the right musical phrases... It happens to me from time to time... I'll get stuck..but then a breakthrough ... Welcome to the real world of creativity...It comes in fits and starts... and it gets quite fascinating at times ;)

#169016 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 pm
I write lyrics first (except for instrumetnals, of course!) and usually have all the words done before even tackling the music part of it, with just some phrasing tweeks or added lines as needed.
Then I pick up a guitar, or turn on the keyboard and try a few chord changes, if the 'magic' happens the song writes itself in an hour, if there's no magic, I put the lyrics away and pick up some other, or settle down to mix something that I recorded before.
Either the song comes right out, or I move on! 8)

#169021 by XhaDoW-6
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:I write lyrics first (except for instrumetnals, of course!) and usually have all the words done before even tackling the music part of it, with just some phrasing tweeks or added lines as needed.
Then I pick up a guitar, or turn on the keyboard and try a few chord changes, if the 'magic' happens the song writes itself in an hour, if there's no magic, I put the lyrics away and pick up some other, or settle down to mix something that I recorded before.
Either the song comes right out, or I move on! 8)

Indeed I have done that before with riffs I have done rough recordings sometimes Just so I could come up with A secondary guitar part realize I didnt like the way I put it together so I'll scrap it tear the song apart and use some of the riffs in other ideas

#169043 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 am
Seems like every song writes it's self differently,
I don't think I've ever wrote all the lyrics than
add the music. Usually it starts with a chorus line,
or a catchy melody, or both together on a subject
matter I'd previously picked to write on. Every song
is different, yet I try to keep some continuity between
them all, it can be done.
Keep writing it has to be the hardest part, and with practice
you'll only get better.

#169053 by Starfish Scott
Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:19 pm
Same here always music first, lyrics last.

I didn't even think anyone but an absolute musical wizard could lay music to an already set group of lyrics.

(timing is always an issue at very least)

#169062 by Jahva
Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 pm
Since I don't play in a band writing and recording is my only outlet.
For me, every song starts with an acoustic guitar. The lyrics and vocal melody are always last. Once I have a rhythm track i like, I'll fit some drums and bass to it. Then I'll search for the 2nd guitar to compliment the rhythm. That's the fun part for me. Sometimes the second is a piano sound or I'll go back to the bass to try and create the melody there. The vocals are almost always some counter melody in my head at this point.
Most of my tunes wind up with 3 guitars but when I mix them I try to blend it so it's almost disguised. Some come quickly others sit on the shelf waiting for some re-write. I put a simple piece together last saturday, well music anyway. Took about 3 hours. I didn't know what to call it so it got labeled "something new" till I get the lyric and melody going in my head.
It may wind up on the shelf as well. Just keep churning em out!

Wash rinse repeat.

#169064 by XhaDoW-6
Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:15 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:Same here always music first, lyrics last.

I didn't even think anyone but an absolute musical wizard could lay music to an already set group of lyrics.

For lack of lyrical talent I make my songs into videos To capture The essence of my work

#169065 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:21 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:Same here always music first, lyrics last.

I'm no wizard, but have always written songs that way. I would venture to say that MOST commerical artists write songs that way. Timing is not an issue if you compose your lyrics in a rhythmic way. A few word additions/subtractions/contractions are all that is typically need to get things to 'fit'.

#169097 by PLATINUM 777
Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm
Where's the midget chat room? :D