This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6776 by LoneWolf-VII
Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Metallica, the top band on my list that has influenced me.
They've been around since the late 70's, and still rocking out.
Thier songs have been amazing through out the years, excluding the St. Anger stuff.
Albums like And Justice for all and Master of Puppets have been albums that have made an effect in Metal History.
How well they have been playing for the years that they've been out there is pretty amazing.
Even after Cliff Burton had passed away, they continued on, it was something hard to deal with but they never completly threw in the towel.
Metallica has probably inspired many of you guys out there as well, the way they deliver their songs are amazing from Hetfield getting the crowd going to Lars spitting coffee, to Trujillo......wel doing his own thing there, they have been an amazing band for many years and this is truly something to be inspired by, therefore Metallica is the most influential band to me....

#6780 by SDavis22
Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:29 pm
I like their first four records, especially Kill 'Em All and Master of Puppets. They've made some unique and technically challenging masterpieces. I must say that I dislike everything from the Black album on. And, oh man, St. Anger was such a bad record! And what's with the anti-downloading money hungry stuff? I wonder if they would care if they never had the commercial success of the Black album on. They were brilliant in the '80s, and I'll never get enough of (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth! It's too bad about Cliff Burton...

#6791 by Vocals & Bass
Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:12 am
I was never into them much, Maybe because after trying to sing a few of his vocals. There wasnt much left. Not the easiest vocalist to mimic. One guy that always stood out to to me, Was the Drummer! [They're all good] Drummer stands with the best of the best.

#8173 by Runcers
Sun May 06, 2007 2:47 pm
Metallica - boring tunless dirge. Can't sing and there tunes have no real melody 2 out of 10 for being able to play their instruments.

#8703 by mistermikev
Fri May 18, 2007 8:32 pm
-SHOCK AND AWE THAT DAVIS ACTUALLY LIKES METALLIKA...
saw them on and justice tour... back when I liked metal...
I would say 90% of black album and thereafter is crap... but there are a few decent tunes here and there thereafter.
"BREADFAN!!!!!"
Kirk is a mediocre player... I actually think james has a better phrasing solo wise... Kirk noodles.
Loved kill em all, loved master of puppets, loved and justice.
Did someone forget Ride the Lightening? -Trapped under ice!
Def not in my top 20 today but do still like them... even despite that rigor they demonstrate in going after their fans who download their music.
Personally I think cliff gets a little more recognition than he deserves just cause he died... but i do love his stuff. I spent countless hours devoted to learning the bass solo and it's def a hard tune to play... and I think he was very unique... just not a 'blow my mind' kinda bass player.

All time fav metallica tune: call of katulu (if I have the name correct... all instrumental with harmonized gtr parts).

#8721 by gexclamationpoint
Sat May 19, 2007 6:21 am
Runcers wrote:Metallica - boring tunless dirge. Can't sing and there tunes have no real melody 2 out of 10 for being able to play their instruments.

damn, youre hard to please. 2 out of 10 on instrumental skill? just because you dont like a band doesnt mean you cant recognize their impact/talent. im not a big fan of metallica, but i dont go around saying "kirk hammett plays guitar like he has 2 left hands"

#8939 by Runcers
Fri May 25, 2007 7:22 pm
damn, youre hard to please. 2 out of 10 on instrumental skill? just because you dont like a band doesnt mean you cant recognize their impact/talent. im not a big fan of metallica, but i dont go around saying "kirk hammett plays guitar like he has 2 left hands"

I think you missed my point. I wasn't giving them 2 out of ten for their musical prowess (which by the way I think is very good) I was merely giving them a score out of ten for how they rate genrally to me as an individual.

The other 8 covering songwritting, sound, melody, vocal talent (which I think is particularly poor) etc etc. I realise they are a massive rock band world wide, but I just don't like them sorry, I have tried.

#9044 by banngger
Tue May 29, 2007 2:55 am
One of the best shows I've seen & heard - Metallica with Godsmack '04

#9455 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:47 pm
Matt Harlos wrote:
Runcers wrote:

I think you missed my point. I wasn't giving them 2 out of ten for their musical prowess (which by the way I think is very good) I was merely giving them a score out of ten for how they rate genrally to me as an individual.

The other 8 covering songwritting, sound, melody, vocal talent (which I think is particularly poor) etc etc. I realise they are a massive rock band world wide, but I just don't like them sorry, I have tried.

and what do you listen to that is so high and mighty? If you cant admit they are good musicians I would really like to hear your stuff.

btw metallica's kill em all came out in 1983...not the late 70's. Their first show was actually in 1982 in anahiem. But they still old f**k none the less.

Let me preface what I'm about to say with saying that I used to be a hardcore Metallica fan. "One" is the song that made me want to start playing guitar and I still think to this day that "One" is one of those classics that stands on its own. Fast forward about 7 years and I find myself bored with the majority of Metallica. I just got burned out on their music. They are good musicians, well, James is the talent in the band. Kirk's stuff is easily replicable by an astonishing number of guitarists these days. In both Kirk's defence and to prove my point, Kirk has stated himself that he doesn't understand why he's the center of so many haters when he himself doesn't consider his playing to be fantastic by any means. He gets the job done but his day has definitely come and gone.

Try checking out some bands like Textures, Sikth, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, etc. I understand what Runcers means but it's only because my musical vocabulary is extremely extensible. As I've said before, there's a LOT of good music out there waiting for you to hear... you just have to be receptive to it and not get stuck on one band being so great. Greatness is a matter of personal preference. I recognize Metallica for their being a great band but I don't prefer to listen to them anymore because their music doesn't do much for me these days.

I AM looking forward to hearing what they do with their next album, though. I always give them a chance when they release a new album. I didn't really dig a whole lot of St. Anger but I commended them for going to 7-strings. With that being their first 7-string experience, I'm looking forward to hearing how their writing has progressed on them.

-Stephen

#9595 by mistermikev
Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:57 pm
hmm, dream theatre is a great band. Love them... but they don't have the mass appeal metallica has/had. Why? Not because they're not WAY better musicians. Lars = fantastic. Hetfield makes that band. Tell me a story... dream theatre... not so good.
"Live another day fly a little higher
find another reason to stay
ashes in your hand
mercy in your eyes
if your searching for a silent sky..."
"pull me under pull me under
pull me under I'm not afraid"

vs

"I can't remember anything
can't tell if this is true or a dream
deap down inside I feel the scream
pull this life off from me"
"for a hill men would kill why they do not know
stiffened wounds test their pride
crack of dawn all is gone except the will to be...
On they fight for their right yes but whos to say"

that's all just on memory...

Music is not all music. You have to consider it on many levels (this from a steve vai fan).

bottom line: I got bored with metallica too... that doesn't change the fact that they were at one time "one of the greats".
I'm of the belief that you have to be able to look past any one particular aspect of the artist (genre, style, image, musicianship, technical ability, more) to truly see ALL genius... if the group is majorly popular and you think they suck... you have to reevaluate: consider it your failure to understand them... but then there is britany spears and the spice girls destroying the balance of nature... who genuinly suck...
save your hatred for them!
I know that their is a world chucked full of idiots out there... so I guess you can't allways count on them to tell you what really is good and what really isn't... and that is why we debate it here.

#10210 by bandmand
Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:08 pm
I never liked them until I saw the St. Anger & A Year & 1/2 documentaries. since then I've acquired MoP, the Black album, RtL, and St. Anger. I like all of it.

#10428 by N1GHTM4R3GR33N
Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:21 pm
why would saint anger make you buy their stuff it was one of their worst albums.

#16936 by Bones1331
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:10 am
Yeah, I liked tem right up until I logged onto Napster and got hit with a letter from their lawyers around 2000.