This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#167460 by Cajundaddy
Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 pm
This guy has a pretty good idea about what we are all looking for in a drummer. He is arguably one of the most influential and sought-after drummers of our time. "It's all about the music. It's not about chops and it's not about you."

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/ ... mer07.aspx

His views on music and musicianship really apply to every instrument and every vocalist as well. Bravo Vinnie!
#167461 by PaperDog
Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:13 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:This guy has a pretty good idea about what we are all looking for in a drummer. He is arguably one of the most influential and sought-after drummers of our time. "It's all about the music. It's not about chops and it's not about you."

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/ ... mer07.aspx

His views on music and musicianship really apply to every instrument and every vocalist as well. Bravo Vinnie!

Thanks Johnny,. Very interesting read... I agree about the concept of "Kill Your Idol"... Lots of folks get caught up in this idea that it's a big sin to borrow and emulate musical ideas from the masters (like God forbid we sound like the Beatles or stones or ...Sting, etc) ... But, I say..How the heck are you gonna top those guys if you don't at least 'meet ' their methods and styles first?

I do realize in a studio, where money is spent, we don't have the luxury of experimentation with established conventions...So this guy Vinnie, has a very valid and salient point about 'Blending in" for the sake of the song at hand...That's probably what separates him from the others. I might add he reinforces my contention that a band is a team...and Mr Vinnie displays the right approach about that.

8)

#167537 by Starfish Scott
Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:41 pm
Wow, he sounds like quite a drummer..

I bet he'd really get the juices flowing..

#167572 by Cajundaddy
Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:47 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:Wow, he sounds like quite a drummer..

I bet he'd really get the juices flowing..

For sure! I have seen him play live with Jeff Beck and Sting. He has an incredible vocabulary on the drums and is always tasteful and interesting as he responds to other players on stage. He lives in LA and has been known to show up at local clubs and sit in for a few when he is in town. Vinnie can jam with us anytime!

#167576 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:46 am
Someone made a joke about drummers being the guy that hangs out with musicians. Not funny.
Drums are one of the MOST MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS IN THE BAND!
Show me a great drummer and I can trade solos all night long.
I'll go so far as to say Jimi was only so great because he had the best drummers making it easy for him. Clapton, Vai, Santana, Metheny, and any one else you can think of. Even the Stones, Beatles, and steppinwolf.
perfect EX. Google MILES FROM DAYTON, very good band. Saw them live, their drummer was so over the top that they were GREAT. It wasn't their regular drummer.
Listen to my solo, I had a GREAT drummer listening and locking and changing everything I was playing. That was the difference, I was just picking and holding some strings down.

The stupid point I am trying to make is just how important all you drummers are, and at least I appreciate your talents.

:)

#167864 by edisonfreeman
Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm
I made a quantum leap as a keyboardist after taking drum lessons. The dots connected, and I now know why piano is classified as a percussion instrument...on keys, you are a drummer with 8 arms, 2 feet, and 88 drums tuned chromatically. I work closer with a drummer than any other piece in the band....

#168010 by Tempun
Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:58 am
Wish my drummer would take this approach towards music...

#168073 by lalong
Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:57 am
That was a great article Johnny. The thoughts he had about attitude, practice and sensationalism were pretty insightful, regardless of the instrument you play. Thank you for posting it man, it was a good read. :)

#168081 by gbheil
Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm
If your drummer is not taking this approach to music... you need another drummer.

Is common sense so uncommon that it's now considered inspirational ?

#168087 by Cajundaddy
Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:08 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Is common sense so uncommon that it's now considered inspirational ?

Sadly yes. Common sense and a keen sensitivity to the music and other musicians is quite rare indeed.

#168097 by JCP61
Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:27 pm
"Common sense is not so common."
― Voltaire

Isaac Asimov
It is the obvious which is so difficult to see most of the time. People say 'It's as plain as the nose on your face.' But how much of the nose on your face can you see, unless someone holds a mirror up to you?
― Isaac Asimov,

#168101 by lalong
Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:54 pm
The inspirational part I found was a bit of humility, expressed by someone who clearly could get by without it. The norm is letting success or fame corrupt our humanity. How many times have I admonished those who lack those attributes?

So yeah he is not curing cancer or feeding and saving children, (apparently those people run around naked masturbating in public) :D , but at the same time it is uncommon to see anyone achieving success at that level and maintain that it is a good attitude, spirit of cooperation and strong fundamentals that got him there. To me that is as worth taking notice, as much as lack of those traits are worth bitching about.

#168134 by gbheil
Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 am
I can unfortunately see most of my busted up nose ...

But hey ... that's just me :wink:
#168700 by candiny
Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 am
I had a GREAT drummer listening and locking and changing everything I was playing. That was the difference, I was just picking and holding some strings down. http://www.christianlouboutinbootssaleru.com

#168718 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:41 am
GLEN J wrote:
The stupid point I am trying to make is just how important all you drummers are, and at least I appreciate your talents.

:)

shhhhh!!!!

Be quiet with that or the drummers will get a bigger head than the guitar players. They already get the girls, why should they get money too?

:lol:

Of course, just kidding, but I agree that a band can not be great without a great drummer. Anything I'd ever produce starts with finding the right drummer. Hard to mess up a song when the drum tracks are great.

I know a lot of extremely talented musicians and none of them fit the rock-star stereotype. They are almost all as humble as this guy. All he is saying basically is, "Listen to what others are playing and find a part that compliments the whole piece"

It's the insecurity of a lesser talent that gets arrogant. The really talented ones let their axx do the talking.