This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#166328 by Worth_white
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 pm
I'm getting together with a couple of lads from Bradford to start out doing System of a Down covers, moving onto other stuff with time.
We have placed adds in gumtree and other sites looking for a drummer to join us but have had diddly squat in the way of interest. Do you think that it is simply that no-one fancies having a thrash at some SOTD material or are we just not hitting the audience? Any tips on recruiting drummers?
I cant work out how to place a 'band seeks drummer' add on here either as i am already a member also seeking a band and want to keep that status ....
Cheers

Ned

Sorry, perhaps mods could move this to the GB thread....

#166336 by gbheil
Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 am
Mods?

We don't need no stinking mods.

Welcome to Bandmix.

Best to you in your musical endeavors.

#166350 by Worth_white
Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 am
sanshouheil wrote:Mods?

Welcome to Bandmix.

Thanx for the welcome sanshouheil. I hope your musical endeavors are good too!

PS how do i stop posting my info at the bottom of every post?

#166362 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 am
Someone help Ned. I don't have the time. He seems like a real good bloke.

CHIPPY WHERE ARE YOU? :)

#166366 by PaperDog
Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 am
Worth_white wrote:

Welcome to Bandmix.

Go into your account, Select and edit your "Forum Profile". there's a text box, which you can modify and update

#166457 by Worth_white
Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 pm
PaperDog wrote:
Worth_white wrote:

Welcome to Bandmix.

Go into your account, Select and edit your "Forum Profile". there's a text box, which you can modify and update

Nice one! Thank you Paperdog!

#166478 by Chippy
Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 am
Hi Worth_white.
At Glen :D

Ah those were the days. I used to scout every paper, every magazine looking for the right band. What a lift it gave me to find someone on the end of a phone, to arrange a session. Wonderful days.

"Band needs drummer, must have own transport, must be on time, influences are etc, ect, ect. Call and so on"
Yeah those were the days... :D
Well now Drummers are gentle fragile things, usually have quite large biceps, nimble and can run a quarter mile in good time. Extrovert, intimidating, always seem as though they have some small screw loose, and generally speaking, have a great sense of humor. Some like center stage, others like to hide behind cymbals. But usually, always, always, always want to be out playing, and hitting drums.

I would think give craiglist a shot if you haven't already. Gone are the days when people use their feet to walk to a music store and browse the adds there. But it's a good place to start. (Music Equipment Stores).
Drummers are full of fickelism, (great word, I expect to see it more around here please) :D And some, like myself are the worst critics of themselves, they really do not need any help in this area unless they are wickedly good!

The add: I would say, just make it as concise as you can, but not too wordy. Drummers generally work on the fly, but don't expect Louie Belson, but you might create one if everyone has the right attitude.

Play down on the Drummer jokes too, we might laugh a bit about them with the rest of the band, but we brood a lot, we are noisy and have several brains, eventually we leave lol! :D
Hope this helps :D

#166488 by jimmydanger
Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:29 pm
SOAD is quite complex for a drummer to learn for an audition and might scare some people away. It's OK to have as an influence but maybe start out with better known standards just to get it rolling. Once you find a guy that can play the basics you can move into your true style.