This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#163814 by MikeTalbot
Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:31 am
I'm a metal head but play Twinkle Little Star and ABCD with my four year old granddaughter. For some reason she only lets me play the tele - never the strat. I think she likes the color. And we have to wear hats for the second number.

A lot of fun. But I don't see any gigs coming out of it. 8)

Talbot

#168981 by TamsNumber4
Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm
(Crazy) Curt,

I really enjoyed your songs. I admit that I really loved listening to more innovative artists approach children's songs. I liked what I was hearing on "Yo Gabba Gabba" and Dan Zanes. I began to write songs for my preschooler and am happy they make him dance and sing.

I think your songs are great and I was very happy to listen to them, they are very inspiring, I'm sure you are entertaining lots of children, was happy to listen!

Tammy

#169020 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 pm
Welcome to the forums, Tams! (from another Merrimac Valley newcomer here)

#169034 by Cajundaddy
Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 am
Cool! A couple of my friends have been doing children's music for quite a while. They do performances all over LA.
http://www.happycrowd.com/index.html

#169039 by PaperDog
Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:45 am
I will never do music as such, for children... anymore than I will serve them up a plate of caviar and Cordon Blue gourmet.

Children live in a universe far different from that of adults. Children, themselves are NOT tiny adults, and quite frankly, I would be cautious to pre-maturely impose matured taste onto the children... I cant reconcile it in my head, to serve a child with 'electric guitar' metal and blues .

I see a 50+ year old standing on the stage with American Flag pants, doing a blues shuffle, singing about primary colors...for the kids...(WHo are not really gonna appreciate the musical style,per se.) Why not marinate some fruit-loop and pebbles cereal with a good merlot?

Sorry.. I know you guys mean well ...I really believe that...But it just seems so contrived to me. I'll stick with a simple ukelele or harmonica, if I sing to the kiddies at home... (And yes:
1) Have studied Child Development
2) I have written some bona-fide children's songs ...
3) They are age appropriate in style and meter, and the lyrics would have you yawn... But the children always loved them...

Okay Its just my opinion... But I 'm glad that you guys are at least thinking about the kids with good intentions...

8)

#169040 by RGMixProject
Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:29 am
I remember at age 5 or 6 I loved these songs;

Glad all over, Dave Clark Five

House of the rising sun, Animals

I'm Telling you now, Freddie and the Dreamers

El Paso - Marty Robbins

Even as a kid I remember that I hated these songs because I thought they were so stupid...

Running Bear - Johnny Preston

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini - Brian Hyland

Are You Lonesome Tonight? - Elvis Presley

And the worst was Mr Lonely by Bobby Vinten

Kids songs, put some Black Eyed Peas on and watch them dance all day! :D

#169045 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am
My grandson is 8 and he likes
System of a Down, and Scars
on Broadway, and Avenged Sevenfold.
Aren't those nice kids groups? We sure do
that new style dancing to them it's great kids music.

#169051 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:14 pm
I keep thinking of the TV show Two and a Half Men when Charlie started doing kid's songs about things like 'pooping in your pants' and how the kids (and parents) loved them! :shock:

#169058 by Starfish Scott
Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm
I always remember that whack ass tune, "The Monster Mash".

I was like, "who's that about the ugly girl or the teacher"? lol

#169073 by PaperDog
Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 pm
RGMixProject wrote:I remember at age 5 or 6 I loved these songs;

Glad all over, Dave Clark Five

House of the rising sun, Animals

I'm Telling you now, Freddie and the Dreamers

El Paso - Marty Robbins

Even as a kid I remember that I hated these songs because I thought they were so stupid...

Running Bear - Johnny Preston

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini - Brian Hyland

Are You Lonesome Tonight? - Elvis Presley

And the worst was Mr Lonely by Bobby Vinten

Kids songs, put some Black Eyed Peas on and watch them dance all day! :D

I was in Wurzburg Germany when I was 2-5.. , My older brother and his friends used to traverse over to the clubs in Hamburg and rave about this cool little rock n roll band of dudes in leather jackets, (Aka The Beatles) . My recollection of music back then was (Timeline a bit fuzzy) "I wanna hold your hand" , but more profoundly, Petula Clark's "Down Town" and "I will Follow him" There was also that Japanese hit: Sukyaki...and then... the Tsi Tsi Fly collection (Jazz hit- "Watermelon Man") ... The distinction with these songs is that at my age they evoked pretty banal images, non politically infused and solid, comforting tunefulness to my toddler mind....

I might have rejected them all if it sounded like Hendrix. (I actually did not like his stuff until way after the fact) . I'm just saying that some music innately works, other music, one has to acquire the taste, hence develop into the styles.

If you are three years old, and you are dancing to a modern song, its probably the the rythym and beat that's got hold of you. When I was three, I was no dancer... I was a listener... Nobody forced me to listen... (aside from the radio stations they kept on). Then again, music was a natural part of our household... Non eventful, really.

#169108 by TamsNumber4
Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 am
Mr. Paperdog (I'm sorry, I don't know your name),

My oldest son is autistic and my youngest has issues as well, so I have been in many classrooms of children and have been around many children with different abilities. What I have learned and many have agreed is that all children are different. They cannot be defined, just as musicians and lyricists cannot be boxed by one definition of who they basically are.

My son LOVES my simple children's songs, you may find them dull, yet, many have told me they loved them, but my son also listens to Lady Gaga and Styx ! He even will sit with me and sing "Green Manalishi", there needs to be a variety of music for all children, just as there is a wide range of music for adults.

That is just my opinion.

Tammy

Here are my songs as a reference:

SPLASH! http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=11324004

Bubbles http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=11470564

PS: Mike, I love that episode of Two and a Half Men, one of my favorites!