This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#160708 by Rick Stringfellow
Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:40 am
I find this practice of using monikers on internet forums unsettling.

When I first got interested in email, I wanted to be THE PHANTOM. Unfortunately, there were already a couple hundred PHANTOMs out there. Well, I didn't want to be PHANTOM191. I wanted to be the only PHANTOM. I tried all kinds of names that I thought no one would already have, and ultimately settled on sibleypeck. As far as I know, I'm the only sibleypeck. But sibleypeck isn't real.

A couple years ago, frustrated by the pantheon of internet egos run amok - a practice encouraged by the use of fictitious character names, I thought I would use my real name on the internet. It just seemed that everybody I came into contact with on the internet was fake. Some got real ugly when the masks came off. I don't know what's more unnerving; the absence of original thought, or worn out rhetoric.
#160721 by PaperDog
Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:23 am
Rick Stringfellow wrote:I find this practice of using monikers on internet forums unsettling.

When I first got interested in email, I wanted to be THE PHANTOM. Unfortunately, there were already a couple hundred PHANTOMs out there. Well, I didn't want to be PHANTOM191. I wanted to be the only PHANTOM. I tried all kinds of names that I thought no one would already have, and ultimately settled on sibleypeck. As far as I know, I'm the only sibleypeck. But sibleypeck isn't real.

A couple years ago, frustrated by the pantheon of internet egos run amok - a practice encouraged by the use of fictitious character names, I thought I would use my real name on the internet. It just seemed that everybody I came into contact with on the internet was fake. Some got real ugly when the masks came off. I don't know what's more unnerving; the absence of original thought, or worn out rhetoric.

how about...Worn out thought with an absence of rhetoric?

#160732 by Krul
Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 am
The goal of a good moniker is the absence of rhetoric. :D

#160733 by crunchysoundbite
Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 am
How about Rhet or Rick?

#160734 by crunchysoundbite
Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 am
You can think of others for the fun of it, with other monikers, even when they don't know you're using them. For instance, once my wife gets on the web, she becomes a Monitor Lizard! Don't get stuck on Monikers, lest you become the Moniker Lizard. But I'll never say. My father was a mechanic at a full service station. Often times their attention was more on the service than the provisions of the rest room. It was never dirty, but they sometimes got a visitor that would crap too big to go down. Until he was caught, the assailant was known as The Phantom Sh!itter.
Last edited by crunchysoundbite on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

#160746 by crunchysoundbite
Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:38 pm
Get your moniker before one is handed to you. A year ago, I was working with a Mexican that probably indulged too much in re-fried beans. We were working in a converted office space into a fitness room. He got the title "Muchos Gassy Ass"! After 4 months of going under, working for FedEx, it became apparent that FedEx was an incomplete word. I now know it as FedExcrement. Still looking? Ass in a hat is still available.If you do cover tunes (nothing wrong with that), try Here's The Doors.

#160807 by fisherman bob
Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 am
fisherman bob aka fisherman bob, living vicariously through myself...