This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6029 by johnnya
Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:50 pm
It is easy to say we play music, but where does it come from? Within the heart? Mind? Yea, :wink: Look and listen to how great music has been around for thousands of years, a person can pick up a instrument and eventually create sounds either pleasing or cursed to the ear, but being on thru websites, its increadable how much good and neat music coming from thousands of artist, we each could have had ancestors that had the music instinct, just like clubs, nations, you could keep on going, we are a unique people, because music makes the world go round and music is life, is there a little music cell or who knows how it works, some people say that the devil had pipes and created music in heaven, yea, and God created the devil, so music may have started by aperfect spirit and music could be and some say a strong force, makes me wonder :!: :wink:
#6076 by deacotiks
Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:30 am
first and foremost music comes from the Higher Being. Second, music comes from the soul. Third, music comes from the heart and mind, Fourth, emotion,Fifth life experiences.

#6089 by gexclamationpoint
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:09 am
i wouldnt put life experiences as 5th. the soul, heart and mind, and emotion are all products of our life experiences.

#6092 by SDavis22
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 am
I dig what g! said... I don't know about a higher being, though... no one really knows (or can prove) that kind of thing. It could possibly be something we learn subconsciously... like from our heart beat maybe... That's a naturally existing pulse or rhythm. I don't have a clue who discovered the different frequencies that constitute notes, though. Truly amazing!
#6094 by drummerbw
Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:42 pm
johnnyA wrote:It is easy to say we play music, but where does it come from? Within the heart? Mind? Yea, :wink: Look and listen to how great music has been around for thousands of years, a person can pick up a instrument and eventually create sounds either pleasing or cursed to the ear, but being on thru websites, its increadable how much good and neat music coming from thousands of artist, we each could have had ancestors that had the music instinct, just like clubs, nations, you could keep on going, we are a unique people, because music makes the world go round and music is life, is there a little music cell or who knows how it works, some people say that the devil had pipes and created music in heaven, yea, and God created the devil, so music may have started by aperfect spirit and music could be and some say a strong force, makes me wonder :!: :wink:
:shock: I need to smoke a joint to get into this one...sheesh!!!someones got to much time on there hands :?:

#6102 by Casey of Black Santa
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:52 pm
i believe that since no one can really know where music came from for shure or where life came from for sure that we should not worry about it. we know there is music. we know how to play music (or most of us i assume). so all we can really do is play and just enjoy it and not try to go too deep.

although if i had to guess, either God or a Higher Being created it or some caveman/cavewoman somewhere was smacking a rock against a tree in 4/4 or something and started to bob his/her up and down with the rythm and said "Ugh like this. this Ugh's music."

#6113 by Irminsul
Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:01 pm
Why, it comes from the Greek Muses. Hence the term.

#6115 by RhythmMan
Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:21 pm
Some music can come from nature: Birds.
Most species will only sing the exact same melody.
But some birds can sing upwards of 90 or more different songs.
Some birds can emit 3 seperate notes simultaneously.
And some very few birds can be incredible.
I've heard what I thought was a flock of birds, looked out the window, and discoverd it was a single bird . . . .
And not all of the birds of any given species (or flock) will sing the same.
Some birds have simple songs, while other birds, in the same flock, are just . . . incredible.
I have lived in rural areas all my life, and heard literaly, millions of bird calls.
There are bird calls, - and bird songs. There is a huge difference . . .
I have heard perhaps 100 - 150 'talented' birds.
They sing at dawn, and create new and wonderful melodies. They add and subtract notes from their melodies, improving their compositions. I've heard compositions of over 30 notes. They're fast, and many of the notes are above the average person's hearing range . . .
Most birds are average, but a very, very few are musical genious's.
I have heard three birds, in my 54 years, that were'world-class' composers. Just beautiful . . . phenomenal songs . . .
I heard the first one when I was about 26-27 years old.
Some of the compositions I heard were the main theme's in some of Bach's, Beethoven's, and Strauss's music - no joke.
. . . there is something implied there . . .
These birds listen to each other, and borrow 'riffs' from each other, adding and subtracting elements of their songs to improve the songs.
Some of it is hauntingly beautiful . . .
I suspect that many people have yet to hear this . . .
Again, I heard my first one when I was about 26 years old, and 've lived near broad expanses of fields and/or trees most of my life . . .
My genre of choice back then was hard rock, but this stuff was so beautiful it made my eyes water . . .
I guess this is the spot where the younger musicians all laugh at me and call me a talentless fool . . .
I don't care. :) It's true; I've heard it; and I hope to God I hear it again, sometime before I die . . .
OK, now you can all go ahead and make fun of me . . .
#6134 by fisherman bob
Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 am
Some caveman was banging away at a wooly mammoth carcass with a big stick or bone and making grunts and groans and a nearby caveman said "hey that sounds pretty good" and started banging a few rocks together in unison and then some cavewoman started shrieking because she was hungry and by chance it harmonized and soon the entire neanderthal community was really into this and soon the entire bunch of them went on American Idol and presto...we have music.

#6138 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:33 am
:lol:

I'm leaning towards Robert's hypothesis !! Starts with percussion !!

#6142 by gexclamationpoint
Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:04 pm
music obviously started when cavemen discovered elvis. duh.

#6745 by MattZito
Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:43 am
Casey of Black Santa wrote:some caveman/cavewoman somewhere was smacking a rock against a tree in 4/4 or something and started to bob his/her up and down with the rythm and said "Ugh like this. this Ugh's music."

I vote for the "Ugh theory".

Cheers,
Matt

#6760 by RhythmMan
Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:15 pm
Yeah, I think they're still broadcasting his songs . . . :)