This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#154505 by devilscalling
Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:53 pm
well hello every one i'm new to the forums

played bass for a few years got tired of playing now im back into playing but rhythm guitar I'm into the underground country now days since it seems like the way country should be and not this pop stuff that Nashville is making these days.

i have looked around my area and all i can find is people wanting to do covers but i will keep on looking to see if any thing here may pop up i live about an hour from nashville but still no luck but any way

hope to meet some new people on here

#154521 by gbheil
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 pm
Welcome to the boards.

Many people prefer to do covers.
It seems to be the faster way to making music pay for itself.
It also would seem (if my observations are accurate) the easiest way to get gigs in comparison to doing original music.
Still others do so because they love to recreate the music they love.

I myself prefer doing originals.
Were I a more experienced player I might feel differently on the subject.

But I doubt it.

#154534 by devilscalling
Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 am
well i agree with you

but i just like to create my own it makes it more fun and thanks for the welcome

#154580 by blues edge
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm
I would rather play originals , I like altering songs when i play covers , be it arrangement or instrumentation , it makes it more interesting ( for me anyhow ) Ive also found it much easier to get a viable demo by not recording a note for note copy . Make it your own but try to keep the original vibe. I'm new also but welcome !
#160347 by thegooddavid
Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 pm
I'm 100% for doing originals. That's the best way to express yourself, playing your music with your words.
Also, I agree with BE, putting your own spin on a classic can be fun.

#160373 by MikeTalbot
Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:53 am
Welcome

No matter what you like to play - do that. The money ain't so hot these days regardless.

I've learned that cover bands can be pretty cool and have good players but that is not what I do. (disclaimer: I've done it but no more)

If you are good enough and unattached enough a road band or tour band can make you smile. And that is where the original money is.

But if you're doing it cause you like oy, and will accept money if it comes along but not grovel for it, you can find folks and do it. I've met a lot of players on Bandmix and am currently working up original materal as a result.

Good luck.
Talbot
#160391 by The Po-Boys
Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am
This is a great board has helped me alot hope it does the same for you. I totally agree about Nashville but then again Nashville has always sucked never been true to the song. Give a listen to Houston Marchman's song Viet Nashville I think you'll dig the hell out of it. Sadly my band has to play alot of covers to get gigs in my area, but i still do at least 2 originals in every set and I like doin covers that you dont really hear much around here, like The Stones "Sway" followed right up by Aint no Sunshine. We do a really Eclectic mix and it totally messes with the crowd and they love it. Good luck Bro. Oh Yeah and I DONT DO REQUESTS pisses 1 of my other bandmates off but hey I am not gonna do a song unless I myself like it cause there aint no way i'm gonna sing and play most of this crap thats on the radio these days.

#160463 by gbheil
Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:01 pm
One of my friends bands back in the early 80's was asked by a teenage girl to do UNDER COVER ANGEL.

They said " Sure we will " and went into COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN

Priceless. 8)

#160469 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 pm
sanshouheil wrote:One of my friends bands back in the early 80's was asked by a teenage girl to do UNDER COVER ANGEL.

They said " Sure we will " and went into COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN

Priceless. 8)

LMAOROTF