This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#493 by squirrelmaster
Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:03 am
Anyone have any ideas on the best all around vocal mic for smaller club venues??? :) I use a Shure SM58 right now. Is there something better for sound without the drown'd.
#494 by Dragon
Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:38 pm
The SM58 is the industry standard for vocal mics but if you're looking for better sound, there are tons of mics available to fit the bill today. It's all a matter of personal preferance and how good the signal path is. A good soundman with a good board can make a cardboard box sound like the best kick drum you've ever heard but a quality vocal mic through your neighbor's home theater might not sound so good. My suggestion would be to head for your local music store and talk to a sound pro there. He can stear you in the right direction with just a few simple questions. Not a good music store near you? Well, ask other bands. Downpour uses Shure's beta series mics for better clarity and feedback reduction. A wireless beta 87 on the lead vocals and wired beta 58's on the rest work well for us. Other bands might have other/better suggestions depending on the gear and speaker placement you're using. Hope this helps!

-Dragon
Downpour
www.downpourlive.com

#495 by squirrelmaster
Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:27 pm
Thank you for the Advise. I will be looking into some corded micsas well as cordless...

#496 by jjflash1911
Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:07 pm
We use Beta 57 and 58 for our stand mics and I use Crown 311 headworn For my money the Crown is the only choice. When I come out from behind the keys to play guitar/ front I can stand in front of the front of house speakers and get no feedback. We are a six piece Country band and not a very quiet one. The Crown really rocks !!

#1309 by joshuankemp
Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 pm
Neuman's are the best all around. They now make a live performance mic. Previously only made studio mics. Prepare to spend some bucks though.

#1430 by Guest
Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:13 pm
I like the shure SM86 Beta's...

#1681 by MatthewsMusic
Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:03 pm
I love Shure mics, we have like 4...

#1865 by jvjino at msn com
Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:29 pm
Ive been singing hardrock/metal for many years and always used sm58. But just recently switched to Audix. Wow I love these mics. No feed back great clarity, mid and bottom. I use a Om2 wired and Om7 on my wireless. Audix has a very high gain before feedback. You will love this mic. Om2 is $150 and kicks ass. :evil:

#2471 by OnQStudios
Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:31 am
I HAVE FOUR SM 58'S AND 2 SM 57'S.... I JUST BOUGHT AN AUDIX OM-5, AND AN AUDIX OM-2. I AM SO AMAZED AT HOW THESE SOUND... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORK HARD BEHIND THE SOUND BOARD TO GET ALOT OUT OF THESE. FOR THE MONEY GO WITH AN OM-2. THERE IS VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO AUDIX MICS. ALTHOUGH YOU CAN HAMMER A NAIL WITH A 58, YOU DON'T HAVE TO. BUY THE AUDIX AND A CASE AND THANK ME LATER....JOEY Q

#7094 by PeanutsAndSoap
Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:14 am
Mic of choice...A: It's gotta be a Shure. B: It's a Beta-58A. It has more of a beefier tone that really helps the "rock" stand out of your set. I spent $400 on a wireless and have had it for 2 years strong with not a problem one out of it.

Good luck in your selection.

-Spoons
#7146 by Vern Parsons
Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:36 pm
Try removing -2db around 700-950k on ur console. and pull the mic away from ur mouth 1/4" - 1/2". 58's are the Ind. STD & have been around for a long long time. From Mic to ur ears there are a ton of places that can make that hated noise.

#11214 by Bongo667
Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:46 am
UnEvolved wrote:I love Shure mics, we have like 4...

I'm with UnEvolved. Shure for sure!!!!

#11255 by Mr. Destroyer
Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:35 pm
IMO, you can never go wrong with the SM-58 Beta for lead vocal, especially if the rest of your bandmates are using straight 58's. The Beta will help your vocals stand out from the background.