This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#148140 by KLUGMO
Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:47 pm
This should stir the pot a little. Why do some people seem incapable
of knowing how awful they are at writing music.? Lyrics that are just
like a 4th graders first atempt at a poem. Melodies like oil and water
forced together. Instrumentation from a Klingon world somewhere.

Then there are the people that defend them. They will make comments
like not my cup of tea but keep at it. To me they would say don't
discourage someone from trying.
Or, it only matters that they are enjoying it. Or my favorite
"Don't Be A Hater"

I think a lot of people confuse Haters with people that tell the blunt, honest,
obvious and needed truth. I Love people like that. They keep the people
around them from being phony. They make the people around them
face their feelings and true thoughts about issues and topics. Most
people cant handle real honesty with everything and run and avoid them.

Honestly, What do you think?

#148142 by gbheil
Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 pm
Honestly ...
I think if everyone liked the same music as everyone else it would be a damned boring planet.

I detest country music. ( or what passes for country music these days )
The Jerry springer lyrical content of most of it is laughable.
And don't get me started on the phony nasal voicing and whining ass steel guitar whaa whaaa wha. :wink:

Still I've heard / hear enough to know when someone has the popular sound that the genre's average listen want to here.

Same goes for a lot of other genre' I don't listen too or care anything about.

What would the point be in my saying "oh that sucks man" every time something is not in line with my preferences?

IMO most of the people getting rich off "pop" music fit neatly into the category outlined in your first paragraph.
Someone somewhere must like that shitsky.
They are buying it.

#148147 by Chaeya
Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 pm
I think everyone here knows I will tell it like it is. I won't diss a song just because I don't care for the genre. I can't stand rap and hip hop and a lot of pop music, but there is some good stuff out there; when I come across it I will say so. If I like something though, I try to say what I like about it. If someone will critique something they should be able to say what they like and/or don't like about it.

But on another note, some cats need to lighten up. My ex thought Bob Dylan is a god and Paul Simon and Neil Young and unless you wrote songs like them everything else was all crap. Every bloody song had to be a story and about something deep or droning on about the meaninglessness of life. Please.

It's a matter of mood and I don't want to listen to that all the time. I mean, I love the B52s "Love Shack." People diss Lady Gaga, but since I've done techno and I watched a show interviewing her, she's very good. Even if she is following the "Marketing Bible According to Madonna" – it's hard these days, so I give props where they're do.

But there are some people who hate on stuff because they are haters. They don't have any constructive criticism, they just talk sh*t because they can. They don't like when someone is raved about and they have to be the one naysayer because they're programmed that way. Someone says black they have to say white because it's just all about being the opposite.

Chaeya

#148148 by Mike9699
Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm
Lets be honest here. You have it backwards Klugmo. The ones that rip peoples stuff with one liners like "it sucks" are the phonies here. OK, lets give it a try then. I listened to your stuff and to tell you the truth I would rather nail my nuts to a bridge and jump off rather than listen to that country crap. Maybe I should have said if singing is your only skill don't quit your day job because you are not that good at it. What did that accomplish? Are you going to quit making music now or maybe take singing lessons? I don't think so. The only thing it did was piss you off and the only person that got anything out of it was me because that's how I stroke my own ego for my own lack of skills. By the way, country music is not my cup of tea.

#148149 by jw123
Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm
Feelings can change over time also cant they Mikey?

I seem to remember dissing you some on your Page sample, is that the same one? just curious cause it sounds a lot better to me now.

Mike you have become a very good guitarist from what I heard on your player, didnt recognize you with the beard, youve grown up a bit too.

Keep On Rockin

#148156 by Mike9699
Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 pm
JW, I think your going back a few years to my emo-screamo days. I used to post it here just to drive everyone crazy. Craig used to give me hell. My classic/rock/blues stuff is the same stuff though. I still do my classic/rock shows but my main band is more of a melodic hardcore/metal band these days and still wouldn't be popular on this site. All that matters is that I'm gigging at least 4-6 times a month and having fun which is all I need right now.

#148160 by gbheil
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:21 pm
Popular or not I'd like to hear some of it.

That's how I,m wired.

#148163 by jimmydanger
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 pm
There's an audience for all music, even if it's just the guy's girlfriend. Seriously, we even have fans.

#148164 by gbheil
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 pm
jimmydanger wrote:There's an audience for all music, even if it's just the guy's girlfriend. Seriously, we even have fans.

:lol:

#148171 by Stringdancer
Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 am
Klumo let's assume that you are right and all your observations are correct , at the end of the day it's still one man's opinion, the moment you loose sight of that fact you become a target for some blunt and honest rebukes yourself.

Judging music or art is such a subjective exercise impossible for anyone person to be able to speak for everybody.

#148173 by MikeTalbot
Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:10 am
I believe we can judge any type of music by the construction, the presentation, performance, the lyrics etc. I hate rap but I've heard some that I couldn't help but respect.

The logic breaks down though...Lyrics? How about the kinks - 'you really got me?" Or "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah?" Pretty lightweight stuff on the surface but you won't hear me knocking it.

Klugmo is I think, referring to stuff like some kid's first attempt - his parents and friends tell him he's a prodigy and ain't it great. Then he shows it to a jaded bunch of grumpy old rascal musicians asking for advice but hoping for praise. It's a tough call.

On of my first songs was called "Parameciam blues, or mine?" So I bow to no one for writing songs that can invite ridicule. (note - that never really hit the playlist in any band I was in <sigh>)

I guess the question is how do we define the combination of helpful criticism and good manners. Just saying "it sucks" may be a bit more than I would want to say to someone unless I know them and hate them personally. 8)

Talbot

What's that lookin' down on me
From way up in the sky?
It might be God - Or is it just a great big eye?

#148185 by Texdrumr
Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 am
sanshouheil wrote:I detest country music. ( or what passes for country music these days )
And don't get me started on the phony nasal voicing and whining ass steel guitar whaa whaaa wha. :wink:

You are dead to me now. :D j/k bro! But, I love me some backwoods, hillbilly, twangn' songs.

PS - I'm really digging the CD!

-Randy

#148186 by gbheil
Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:34 am
Texdrumr wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:I detest country music. ( or what passes for country music these days )

You are dead to me now. :D j/k bro! But, I love me some backwoods, hillbilly, twangn' songs.

PS - I'm really digging the CD!

-Randy

I was really just picking on KLUGMO :wink:

But yes, it takes all kinds.

Glad your enjoying the CD. :D

#148201 by neanderpaul
Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 am
This thread is FULL of insight. I most enjoyed the first three posts. Subscribed.

#148206 by Chaeya
Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 am
I actually like something about country. I guess it's a southern thing. I grew up watching Hee Haw.

Chaeya