This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#147892 by rushing
Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 pm
The music is not evil, any type of music is not of satan,its the lyrics and only the lyrics.God gave us the talent to make music all types of music,and as paul quoted,to the gentiles i became a gentile,to the greek i became a greek,and what he means is,to reach a certain race or group of people he had to be like wise in manner,language and customs in order for them to understand and except what God wanted them to hear through paul.its the same with music,do you think that a group of people who listen to hard rock are going to listen to pipe organ christain music?do you realize how many hard rock,punkers,new wave and so on have come to God by hearing the right song that they can relate to because the lyrics gave praise to God?Satan was the head praise angel in heaven before he lost that title and you dont think like everything else he had twisted he wont or has twisted music?????how can rock or any type of music be of satan when its giving glory to God.You will know who they serve by how they live not the music they play, its the lyrics that count not the type. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Last edited by rushing on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#147893 by Etu Malku
Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 pm
rushing wrote:The music is not evil, any type of music is not of satan,its the lyrics and only the lyrics.God gave us the talent to make music all types of music,and as paul quoted,to the gentiles i became a gentile,to the greek i became a greek,and what he means is,to reach a certain race or group of people he had to be like wise in manner,language and customs in order for them to understand and except what God wanted them to hear through paul.its the same with music,do you think that a group of people who listen to hard rock are going to listen to pipe organ christain music??????do you realize how many hard rock,punkers,new wave and so on have come to God by hearing the right song that they can relate to because the lyrics gave praise to God?????Satan was the head praise angel in heaven before he lost that title and you dont think like everything else he had twisted he wont or has twisted music?????how can rock or any type of music be of satan when its giving glory to God :D
Whereas I like your pro god & music post, I would have to slightly disagree with you on a few points.

It is only to a 'Christian' mind that music has anything to do with music, for music is organized sound, the elements that form sound are mathematical, organic principles of vibration, and it is This that has shaped the objective universe we exist in.

I would agree with you that music is neither evil nor good, and that lyrical intent would possibly decide on the positive or negative message being conveyed.

#147894 by rushing
Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:27 pm
And thats my point its not the music which is good or bad,music is sound,but its the words you put to it :D
#147896 by neanderpaul
Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:22 pm
rushing wrote:The music is not evil, any type of music is not of satan,its the lyrics and only the lyrics.

The following is from an OLD long lasting thread here. It's called "Christian Rock and Metal. Is It part of our Society."

neanderpaul wrote: However you can't say metal (or rap or any other style) is sinful. Some metal is not and some metal is. ONLY the lyrics can be. That's like hundreds of years ago when some church tried to ban minor chords.

rushing wrote:do you think that a group of people who listen to hard rock are going to listen to pipe organ christain music?

Perhaps that is why the only command for music in new testament (the only law we are under) worship is A Capella.

Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord (Ephesians 5:19).

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord (Colossians 3:16).

Perhaps it's for continuity and clarity.
I Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

rushing wrote: Satan was the head praise angel in heaven before he lost that title

Have any biblical basis (verses) to back this?
#147897 by Chaeya
Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:26 pm
Etu Malku wrote:music is organized sound, the elements that form sound are mathematical, organic principles of vibration, and it is This that has shaped the objective universe we exist in.

True. Also, when you get into workings with mantras, in the Hindu religion they talk about how sound created the Universe, and how sound can be directed through the mind of the composer.

But say you have a really hard aggressive guitar like in supposed "Death Metal" and you have some barking on it that they call singing. To some people, they can look at the symbols, the look of the band and the title of the song and the listener can discern that the song is "demonic." However, take away the band's influence and just play the song, another listener could take it and direct it in whatever direction they want. They could visualize volcanoes and such and decide, "oh I see this as the creation of land" - which is a violent act, but with a positive result. Then it is no longer demonic. So basically, it's whatever you want it to be.

Chaeya

#147900 by neanderpaul
Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:33 pm
^ Clever.

#147902 by TheCaptain
Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:44 pm
Perhaps that is why the only command for music in new testament (the only law we are under) worship is A Capella.

:roll:

sorry dude, there's not many quotes that would cause me to bring out the eyeroll, but this one always will.

I don't understand how one could be a follower of Jesus, and hold the above, and play out as you do is beyond my ability to reconcile.

The pattern is if God wishes to nullify a command/practice that is of HIGH importance in the grand scheme of things, that once was normative under the OLD covenant, he usually says so.

If you think acapella was the only form of worship in the OT canon, you're high on something.

#147903 by Jahva
Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 pm
"Jai guru deva om"
It's meditation In the song Across the Universe when John is singing "ohmmmmm". I was told the vibrations you make when you create that particular sound are believed to be the sound of the Universe. Probably a lot of folks have enjoyed the song and not realized what he is actually saying. Or doing.
Those Beatles were some devilish folks :wink:

#147904 by Crunchysoundbite
Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 pm
Wheeoo, That was close, I thought I was going to have to quit listening/playing Christian music as that no one believed it could be so. these posts have proven to me that there is good, it is so it can happen it is only the listeners who want to say that death metal can be somehow be included in this quest. there is only life in Christian anything and that without it can only be death. Metal or otherwise. I find comfort in knowing that adding a melody to a praise to the almighty is still considered a voice. I really haven't been a fan of Bluegrass but David Lee Roth does it in a way I can enjoy. Much as the word of God reaches to those that might not listen without music, no mater of it's tagged genre' whether it be Christian rock or "Old time religion.

#147912 by Etu Malku
Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm
Jahva wrote:"Jai guru deva om"
It's meditation In the song Across the Universe when John is singing "ohmmmmm". I was told the vibrations you make when you create that particular sound are believed to be the sound of the Universe. Probably a lot of folks have enjoyed the song and not realized what he is actually saying. Or doing.
Those Beatles were some devilish folks :wink:

OM / AUM! the Divine Utterance! Metaphorical of the Universe as Sound/Divine Sound, Nada Brahma in Hindu texts.

It has been called the Word in the Judeo-Christian Bible, Persian scriptures Sraosha, Kalma in Muslim scriptures, ‘the Sonorous Light' in Buddhism, Naam or Shabd by the Sikhs, in Patanjali Yoga Darshan, the Goddess Ishwara is a Being expressed by this original vibration (Pranav) and Madam Helen Blavatsky and the Theosophists call it ‘the Voice of Silence'.

#147924 by rushing
Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 pm
Look lets stay on the main topic shall we? Some say heavy rock is sinful,and its not, no music is sinful for if there is no words its just sound and sound does not make or destroy,we are not to only praise God acapella bible reference Psalm 150, we can have all kinds of instruments,sound dose not create nor destroy,bible reference genesis 3-31 AND God SAID and it was :D He spoke words,look the point is this and this only,God gives us the ok for music but who or what are you giving glory to by the WORDS you sing :D
Last edited by rushing on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#147927 by Etu Malku
Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 pm
rushing wrote:Look lets stay on the main topic shall we? Some say heavy rock is sinful,and its not, NO! music is sinful for if there is no words its just sound and sound does not make or destroy,we are not to only praise God acapella bible reference Psalm 150, we can have all kinds of instruments,sound dose not create nor destroy,bible reference genesis 3-31 AND God SAID and it was :D He spoke words,look the point is this and this only,God gives us the ok for music but who or what are you giving glory to by the WORDS you sing :D
rushing, I'm sure you meant "music is [NOT] sinful . . ."

I am on topic though, because I am the only one on this forum that is understanding music from a Left Hand Path (Christian is Right Hand Path).

When you say
"sound dose not create nor destroy"
I'll point out the shattering of a glass when a voice matches the resonance of the glass metabolism . . . it is Destroyed.

I'll also point out the science of Cymatics where it is shown that Frequencies indeed do Create geometric patterns and thus meaning that the origin of our Universe (big bang) has these Principles in charge of Creating the material universe not some Intelligent Designer (aka god).

Everything organic in our universe is known to be a result of a mathematical Principle called the Golden Mean, Phi, and /or the Fibonacci Sequence.

The fabrication of god is an attempt at consoling the mind in all these matters and of course deeper more spiritual matters as well.

#147932 by neanderpaul
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:27 am
celticpiping wrote:

I don't understand how one could be a follower of Jesus, and hold the above, and play out as you do is beyond my ability to reconcile.

It's absolutely simple. I play out because we are free to do that. I don't play in bars mind you. It's absolutely simple because you can clearly read the command to sing. And you clearly cannot read the command to play again, in the NEW testament the only law we are under. I also play hacky sack, fish, and do any number of pleasing activities outside of worship. To bring anything into the worship not authorized by the new testament guide for Jesus' church shows a lack of respect for the authority of scripture. Playing croquet at home is good. Playing in service as an act of worship is simply not authorized. Any music other than A capella falls under the same guidelines.

Martin Luther and MANY other "Christian" leaders were adamantly opposed to introducing musical instruments in church. The only reason you are cool with it is because it's been around since before you. It caused many splits when it was introduced. It simply IS an idea of man. It simply is NOT authorized by new testament scripture.

celticpiping wrote:The pattern is if God wishes to nullify a command/practice that is of HIGH importance in the grand scheme of things, that once was normative under the OLD covenant, he usually says so.

Here is where I shoot holes in that argument.... with one bullet. Why then did he not forbid animal sacrifices in the new testament?

If he had to tell us everything not to do in worship the bible would literally be endless. Literally. Instead he ells us what to do. Preach, teach, pray, sing, give of our means, partake of the Lord's supper. It is simply that cut and dry.

celticpiping wrote:If you think acapella was the only form of worship in the OT canon, you're high on something.

I don't. Never said that. There were many things in the old he winked at or tolerated. Divorce for any reason other than adultery for instance. And yes David's instrument. Amos 6:1.....5 "Woe unto them.... That chant to the sound of the viol, [and] invent to themselves instruments of musick, like David;"

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent

#147933 by neanderpaul
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 am
rushing wrote:we are not to only praise God acapella bible reference Psalm 150,

That is old testament. That law was fulfilled when Christ died on the cross.
If you bind part of the old law you are bound to keep it all.

#147941 by rushing
Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 am
Am talking about rock,punk,contemp,tecno,country and any type of music, that it is not sinful to play,what makes it in my humble opinion as a christian and all who call themselves one,and i mean walk the talk christian,its the lyrics that as a christian we should not sing,about sex,drugs,violence,,cheating,and the list can go on,thats what makes it for A christian wrong,But if we give glory to God and sing in lyric, uplifting God with joy,life and the love of God and what jesus did for us on the cross namely salvation we can play any type of music style and not offend God or any person.And as far as the sacraficial Law of the old testament,Psalms has nothing to do with that,Psalms are prayers and songs of praise,which are as good today as they where back then.and as far as shattering glass with sound,come on are you grasping at straws,how can you compare that with the voice of God,can you make a planet and the stars with the word of your voice???The rest is up to you,but unless you know the bible and what it says in truth,not what you think it means then you will never know God. bless you