This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#147258 by LauraOUOU
Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 am
Any tips for getting myself out there as a vocalist looking for a band besides websites? I'm basically developing my style, cuz i know that i have a blues voice, but i can also sing rock and opera, my voice is like the mother of genre's, lol but i don't know which direction to take it at this point. I think I need to get lessons and just experiment with different styles to figure out what works with my artisticness/song writing. I tend to write songs that remind me of Otep, but I sing a bit like Amy Lee (I've had numerous experienced musicians tell me this). Basically, I'm kind of a musicians with no idea how to get started.
things I know:
need lessons to learn style skills.
need to find band to put my lyrics and vocals to music (i play but i want to sing in a band, i dont like to play and sing at the same time, at least not yet, because im not that confident in my writing skills even tho i know i can do it)

THIS IS GETTING COMPLICATED.
basically...

I also just moved to a new place. Where is a good place to find musicians besides online tha are looking for bands? My writing style is unique and it's not even fully developed yet (I tend to spit it all out musically like speed drawing to get the emotion out and i lose exactly what i did...)
basically, im just having trouble because of confidence issues and mental issues but i know i can do it.

anyways,

just asking.

this makes like no sense.

#147263 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon May 30, 2011 10:38 am
First ask MOM.

Second get out to open mic nights and see if you have the confidence you are going to need.

Third don't raise your hopes so high that you expect a band of talented musicians, musicians that put a lot of time and effort into, even getting to a point were their efforts come together, to just commit themselves to your vocals and songwriting. It would only happen in the rarest of circumstances.

Fourth, you should learn something about playing another instrument, it will only make you more credible, and give you a better understanding of what it really takes to hang with some good musicians.

Fifth, PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE some more. Mariah Carey almost got thrown out of Harbor fields high because she was disruptive,every chance she had, she was singing.

Do you want to be called serious, or called a wannabe? :wink:

#147297 by Chaeya
Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 am
Laura,

What Glen said, if you want to sing, get out to every open mic night you can find.

However, you are going to need direction and only you can do yourself that favor. The luck of finding someone who will "discover" you and show you where to go . . . we don't live in that world anymore.

You really should work out what is you're really looking to get out of all this and have a plan. Whereas in the past, singers and musicians could hope to be discovered, record labels and such aren't going to do that anymore unless you're already making money.

Now, you could audition for television shows like X Factor, American Idol, America's Got Talent, they're great places for people who just like to sing and have things organized for them.

So work out a plan and follow it. We live in an age where musicians now have to not only be a musician, but their own manager, publicist, agent and investor.

Good luck,

Chaeya

#147310 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue May 31, 2011 10:56 am
Hey Laura, you really have to find friends like Chaeya. She is out there net working, booking, writing, doing so much in general just to have "opportunity" come knocking. There are a lot of players up here putting as much effort into finding the opportunity, as they put into playing. Kudos to all of them, even when they don't work out.

This doesn't just apply to music. Good luck.

#148719 by AsyLum Band
Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 am
Laura,

I know wat u mean...its freakishly hard. I'm a singer too. Me and my friend have a band named AsyLum and we need a bassist, drummer, and lead guitarist but cant find anyone around the area to save our lives, so now we dont care bout distances but hopefully we'll find people.
#148721 by PaperDog
Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:38 am
LauraOUOU wrote:Any tips for getting myself out there as a vocalist looking for a band besides websites? I'm basically developing my style, cuz i know that i have a blues voice, but i can also sing rock and opera, my voice is like the mother of genre's, lol but i don't know which direction to take it at this point. I think I need to get lessons and just experiment with different styles to figure out what works with my artisticness/song writing. I tend to write songs that remind me of Otep, but I sing a bit like Amy Lee (I've had numerous experienced musicians tell me this). Basically, I'm kind of a musicians with no idea how to get started.
things I know:
need lessons to learn style skills.
need to find band to put my lyrics and vocals to music (i play but i want to sing in a band, i dont like to play and sing at the same time, at least not yet, because im not that confident in my writing skills even tho i know i can do it)

THIS IS GETTING COMPLICATED.
basically...
I also just moved to a new place. Where is a good place to find musicians besides online tha are looking for bands? My writing style is unique and it's not even fully developed yet (I tend to spit it all out musically like speed drawing to get the emotion out and i lose exactly what i did...)
basically, im just having trouble because of confidence issues and mental issues but i know i can do it.
anyways,
just asking.
this makes like no sense.

Okay this is gonna sound stupid... But the very first three things thing you need to do is: Establish your genre, so you can establish your voice for specific audiences, Practice your genre with lots of associated songs, expose your efforts to a variety of small and easy venues, such as birthdays, weddings, family nights, etc. ...

Here comes the stupid part... Because you don't have a band right now, and no exposure per se...consider obtaining Karaoke machine, and a variety of music CDs (genres) The key is to have a reliable source of music to sing too. Pick the songs you really like and crack away at them. You'll find out very quick, what you can do and can't do Genre wise. (Will help you quickly establish your scope and range of styles and where to take it.) Once you figure out your vocal niche, then start hunting down coffee-house bands that fit your niche and ask em if they need a vocalist.
Eventually you'll get a connection and then start performing specific little engagements... Keep moving forward... When you can get in the bars, start knocking em dead...
Now here's a little bit of fun research for you... Do a Google on Wanda Jackson... She is the very first true Female rockabilly singer/guitarist. songwriter that came about on the scene. She's actually a legend cause among things, her voice was distinct for her genre. But she kicked ass and her story kind of spells out the steps she had to take to get there.

#154176 by goodluckstranger
Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:44 pm
are you looking to work with a band?

#154237 by Starfish Scott
Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:19 pm
If you can't find your "it" in Phoenix, look harder.

Plenty of scene in AZ and Phoenix in particular, try going out and looking for what is to be found. (look outside of your comfort zone)

More than a couple of people here from Bandmix as well in that area as well.

Post music and pass go, the rest falls where it will.

#154407 by KLUGMO
Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 pm
When I was younger I would go to every place a local
band was playing. Pay attention. When you hear a song
you know if you can sing it or not. Write down 3 cover songs
from each band you know you can sing. Go home memorize
and practice, practise, practise until they become muscle memory.

Now all you have to do is convince any of them that you wont
embare-ass them if they let you come up and sing one with them.
Some will be azzholes some will not.

Seams to me though you may be your own worst enemy.
Bottom line, being timid, shy, afraid to fail, unsure, lazy,
are all things that will keep you from being the entertainer
you want to be. If you retain ANY of those you will live a
life of frustration artisticly.

So fix yourself up and get all HOT. Go out with determination
and focus and get the job done. There's no gray area here.
[/b]

#154462 by Black57
Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 am
Taking lessons is a great idea...not just to become a better singer but it gives you a wider range of musicians at your fingertips. Say, you have a great vocal coach and she/he sees the direction you are going in. They will know many bands that might need a vocalist of your caliber. Plus the feedback that bands get from your teacher will give you some added clout.

The most important thing, like what was said earlier, you can't be afraid to fail. When you put yourself out there you may regret the day you were born, which means you're doing something right. So you gotta keep going until things improve and you can't stop there. You must keep going. If you stop you cannot succeed.