This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#141918 by Krul
Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:46 am
(CNN) -- Mike Starr, the former Alice in Chains bassist whose battle with drugs was chronicled on the reality TV show "Celebrity Rehab," was found dead in Salt Lake City, officials said.

He was 44.

Police said they responded to a call Tuesday of a possible death at a residence. The cause and manner of death were not immediately available.

Starr's former Alice in Chains band mates, Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney, released a statement, offering their support for his family. The band's original singer, Layne Staley, died from a drug overdose in 2002.
2009: Alice in Chains rocks again
RELATED TOPICS

* Alice in Chains
* Celebrity Rehab

"Jerry and Sean are mourning the loss of their friend and ask that the media respect their privacy -- and the privacy of Mike's family -- during this difficult time. Their thoughts & prayers are with Mike's family," it read.

Alice in Chains, a U.S. grunge band, shot to fame in the early 1990s. Starr left the group soon after the release of its 1992 album, "Dirt."

He appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew."

"Devastating to hear of Mike Starr succumbing to his illness. So very sad. Our prayers are with his family," the doctor wrote on his Twitter page.

#141925 by Scratchy
Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:06 am
The "Black Dog" caught up to him.

Say hello to Francisca for me Mike. Tell her I'll be with her, by and by.

He'll be remembered.

#141935 by Krul
Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 am
Crip, he was workin' on it. He was taking Methodone to kick, and taking medicine for anxiety as well. He just got an uneven mix of the two and it got the best of him. He fought like a warrior, but still didn't make it.

Can't say I blame him for taking the meds to detox. Trying to kick cold turkey can kill you from shock, or it gets so painful that you just relapse.

It's not fair.

#141947 by philbymon
Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm
The guitarist I'm working with has lost at least 50 lbs in just a few months.

I'm hearing disturbing rumors about how he might be doing heroin.

I even asked him if he was on the "crackhead diet," I was so shocked at his changes in appearance.

I'm a lil worried...but I'm not seeing any signs, other than the weight loss...of course, chances are I'd miss signs, cuz i've never hung out with ppl that do that stuff...

#141955 by Chaeya
Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 pm
That's too bad. RIP.

Chaeya

#141959 by jw123
Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:41 pm
So that makes him the man in the box?

Sorrry sic humor

I hate to hear about him, that is sad. Dirt is one of my all time favorite albums, not sure if he was on that one or not, but its sad to see talent like that go away, especially when you realize that they are younger than you are.

R.I.P.

#141966 by gtZip
Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm
He was on Dirt. He left when the dirt tour was getting going.

I'm sad for you Mikey...

Mike Starr, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain, Andrew Wood...
Seattle has left a trail of dead rock stars.

RIP

#141968 by jimmydanger
Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 pm
gtZip wrote:Seattle has left a trail of dead rock stars.

RIP

Yes, starting with Jimi.

#141980 by Krul
Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 am
philbymon wrote:The guitarist I'm working with has lost at least 50 lbs in just a few months.

I'm hearing disturbing rumors about how he might be doing heroin.

I even asked him if he was on the "crackhead diet," I was so shocked at his changes in appearance.

I'm a lil worried...but I'm not seeing any signs, other than the weight loss...of course, chances are I'd miss signs, cuz i've never hung out with ppl that do that stuff...

Hard to say Phil. It's a possibility. He may have a certain metabolism and exercise routine that works for him.

I've been accused of being on steroids. I could easily start back on the heavy weights, protein, and glutamine, and get accused of it again most likely. For some reason though, changing my body type is easy.

I can lose 30 lbs. in 3 months, so maybe the guy worked on it. Then again, 50 is kinda suspicious.

#141997 by gtZip
Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:52 am
jimmydanger wrote:
gtZip wrote:Seattle has left a trail of dead rock stars.

RIP

Yes, starting with Jimi.

Ahhhh crap, jimmy.
How I could I leave Jimi out?

#141999 by Krul
Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 am
The list of casualties is long. Musicians are often presented with lots of vices and things that present danger and future troubles. Don't exactly know why that is, but its been an ongoing tradition.

#142004 by jw123
Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:16 pm
K, I look at it a little different. I mean guys like Lane, Mike and the rest that died from drug addictions would have probably done it whether they were in a band or not. Its just part of thier DNA. They just never learned to control it and let it control them. There are folks like this in all walks of life, not just music. Now maybe the fame and the availibity because of the lifestyle sped things up and made them happen faster, maybe they made more income than they otherwise would have sped the process up.

Ive personally seen friends go thru this that arent musicians. I personally got addicted to Xanax and had to kick it, my ex was an alchoholic, so I have been very close to this kind of situation in real life and it didnt necessarily mean musicians.

Once again Im sorry that one of the folks that made one of my favorite albums Dirt died, its a shame that they never truelly got over it. But from what all Ive been thru I realize that the only person I can try to take care of is me.

#142027 by Krul
Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 pm
You're right JW, it's usually in the DNA. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of someone like Joplin, who self-medicated her anguish after drugs were introduced to her. Maybe she was headed for addiction either way. Heck, I'm not famous and had my bout with alcohol. I suppose if I had access to all my past vices I would have gone crazy with it too.

RIP Mike...