This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#140800 by cassielynnvalo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:38 pm
So, I've been trying to start a band for about five years. I'm 18 now so it's a bit more reasonable timing then when I was 13. I've been singing all my life, and I'm so ridiculously into metal, I just seriously need to start a metal band. But I can't find anyone to do it with me, and it's just starting to frustrate me more then anything.
Any tips from anyone on how to get this thing on the road?

#140811 by KLUGMO
Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:30 pm
You cant just want.
Write and sing and record and show you are serious by doing.
It's not easy for someone who just sings. Many musicians wont
take you seriously if you dont play an instrument. You can pick up an acoustic and learn to play enough to write but only if you are naturaly
talented. What the hell have you been doing for the last 5 years?
You could have been ahead of the game by now. You are the only one that can make
it happen. If you aren't serious then you are just a dreamer. Looks
that way right now.[/b]

#140812 by KLUGMO
Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 pm
I am a singer also. When I came here I put 16 songs on my profile
that were originals I wrote in good demo form. I left no doubt
about my writing abilities and vocals. Good or Bad there it was. That's what
everyone here has to do to be taken seriously if they want to find a band.
Your demos are gonna be your proof. If you cant afford to make that
happen then you will have to rely on Luck. Sound speaks for itself.[/b]
#140863 by Jahva
Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm
cassielynnvalo wrote:So, I've been trying to start a band for about five years. I'm 18 now so it's a bit more reasonable timing then when I was 13. I've been singing all my life, and I'm so ridiculously into metal, I just seriously need to start a metal band. But I can't find anyone to do it with me, and it's just starting to frustrate me more then anything.

If you're going to use BM, RECORD SOMETHING!!!
Post something anything to let others know what you sound like. You may be getting passed by because you're not giving any sample of your voice.
Musicians usually have a pretty good ear for talent, if you're any good others will want to join your endeavor. Just the same when you are ready to audition others, you're gonna want to hear them whether it's a recording or live. Any open mic nites you can get in?
There's an old saying "a closed mouth goes hungry".
Quit starving yourself....RECORD!!!!
Good Luck to you.
#140919 by Krul
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:11 am
cassielynnvalo wrote:So, I've been trying to start a band for about five years. I'm 18 now so it's a bit more reasonable timing then when I was 13. I've been singing all my life, and I'm so ridiculously into metal, I just seriously need to start a metal band. But I can't find anyone to do it with me, and it's just starting to frustrate me more then anything.

It may be possible for you to find someone on BM without recording anything, but, you heighten your chances big time by putting up a clip. You know, it doesen't have to be one you play on. I'm thinking you could do a cover, kind of like a sing-a-long. You could do a video, which is easier than recording audio, but if you have some editing software I say go for the audio if you can. Vids seem to be more popular though.

Of course, you shouldn't put your eggs in one basket. Try out Craigslist, get a Facebook account for your vocals, and ask around. I know finding a band is hard these days for everyone(myself obviously included) but vocalists are sought after almost as much as drummers and bass players. So, if people like your vocals, then you'll eventually get hit up to try out.

Do you go to a community college? If so, I recommend looking at their bulletins too.

#140923 by Crip2nite
Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 pm
Cassie.. You're right around the block from me... I stopped playing many years ago and picked it up again about 5 years ago...I always found people, in the beginning, through the Long Island Musician section on craigs list... It worked out awesome... I've been in about 8 Heavy Metal bands and I'm now in a more "Alternative" style band. Google Long Island Musician Sites and you'll find plenty of other ways to reach out! I also met a few right on my FB Page. We live in a good area when it comes to metal and you'll find many a club willing to let you open up for another act in order to get your feet wet! You put an ad out on CL that you're a female METAL vocalist and I guarantee you, the responses will be plenty!

#141045 by violetrock
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:29 am
You need to have plenty of material written if you want to start a band that plays originals. If you just want to play, you could join an existing metal band, or you could always play covers.

#141075 by MikeTalbot
Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:07 pm
Make sure you have your mechanics down. Meter and such - the bottom line stuff required to play music with an ensemble.

And since I've already made this mistake do as I do not as I say. Record some stuff and put it up there.

I've been waiting for a better singer (than me) before recording. Well - how do I find that singer if they don't know what I'm doing. It's confusing but I'm working on some recording now to get something up here.

And be prepared to get slammed. Years ago I got my first job after four months of playing bass. A guy came up to me after the gig and said, "man - you are a lousy bass player!" I was tickled. I'm a bass player! Getting good is just a question of time and prac.

good luck - if you were in GA I'd give you something to do.

talbot
#141232 by randmanw03
Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 pm
I agree with everybody else. I'm a singer also. I didn't post my vocal abilities YET, BUT, i did record a little tune on my guitar, just to put something there, to show i CAN play. Nothing special , but just something, like the other guy said..for better or worse..that's me.. and there's more to come. It's a tough competitive world out there, you can't expect things to be dumped on your lap !!

#141443 by Chaeya
Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 am
Well, since there's no reason to do what I did like go to Hollywood then go to England, I would suggest taking some music courses at a Community College, namely because it's a great place to hook up with other musicians. Make sure you take a recording class because not only do you hook up with other musicians, you can come out of the deal with a demo.

Good luck!

Chaeya

#141454 by Crip2nite
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 pm
Like I said..You are literally around the block from me.... just read my earlier post..take the advice and you'll get where you want to be for the moment! I know Long Island.... you don't have to go to the extremes that everyone is posting here... JUST PUT UP AN AD ON LONG ISLAND CRAIGSLIST MUSICIANS AVAILABLE/WANTED! Very freakin' simple... Geez all this crazy advice for someone who just wants to play out in my area in a metal band! :roll: It's a gold mine for you out here! I haven't been "band-less" for over 5 years since I've done exactly what I'm telling you to do! I know what you want.... I'm telling you what to do in our location!

#141499 by Krul
Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 pm
I've been wanting to go to New York for a while now...not just for music either. But, I gotta say, Kerry, my interest is heightened. The Bay Area isn't anything like it used to be.

#141531 by Krul
Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:43 am
Scratch what I previously said. I've got some band business going on. What a trip! :shock:
#141761 by pwdrkg
Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:52 pm
I have been playing for 29 years, through several different bands. I am not a vocalist, but either way, you have to pay your dues. That could mean attending Vocal Conservatory, or just get out there and start singing, if you are good enough the musicians will beat a path to your door!

pwdrkg

#141777 by Krul
Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm
I really am starting to wonder if she has read any of these replies. Have you noticed that not one response has been returned? There's some really good advice here none-the-less. :lol: