This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#139008 by jsantos
Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:20 pm
Hello friends!

I took the Friday of last week to record a 4 song demo with my new band. We had a great time with producing the tracks and music but it took 10 hours with no breaks. I was pretty burned out by the end of the session. The recordings were done at our practice space using Cubase SE3, 3 mics and a 8 channel Roland mixer. I think it turned out well considering the basic recording equipment we had. Just a little background about my band: We are an Alternative Rock band based in Chicago, formed about 4 months ago.

The songs are posted on my bandmix profile. http://www.bandmix.com/jsantos/

I hope you enjoy it.

Any comments and criticism are welcome since we are still in production.

I trust your advice.
Last edited by jsantos on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#139009 by jsantos
Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:32 pm
Oh and we need help with a band name too.

#139010 by Mike Nobody
Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:34 pm
8)

#139028 by Sir Jamsalot
Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm
did a quick listen here at work on my terrible earphone thingies :) I'll listen on my senheisers when I get home - so far, I love the grooves you put down. catchy solos and overall goodness so far. Mix is a little thin I think, but that's likely my earphones talkin. I'll hit you later with some input.

#139030 by Krul
Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 pm
Well thought out songs Santos! Good job.

I'm thinking that the bass needs a little bit of overdrive, or something to give it more punch. Sounds like the songs need a little more weight in the low end register.

#139034 by gbheil
Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:29 am
Like the tunes Jerry.

THE FINAL STAND would make a catchy name for your group.

#139051 by jsantos
Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 am
Thanks for the great input and advice, I am adding compression and gain on the bass tracks right now. I do like "The Final Stand" as a band name. Let me bring that up to the guys at practice tomorrow.

#139053 by jsantos
Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 am
Ah.. thanks scratchy

#139054 by Scratchy
Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:49 am
Your songs sound good. Recording quality (lack of) dropped the low end on everything. Be careful, a couple of the songs sound like you used the same writing formula on the arrangement.

And finally..........can you tell me why Metal Heads think an intro riff has to be repeated for 32 bars before the break or vocals come in??????????

#139055 by jsantos
Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:02 am
Scratchy wrote:Your songs sound good. Recording quality (lack of) dropped the low end on everything. Be careful, a couple of the songs sound like you used the same writing formula on the arrangement.

And finally..........can you tell me why Metal Heads think an intro riff has to be repeated for 32 bars before the break or vocals come in??????????

Hey thanks scratchy.. again for the advice. Going to try to bring up the low end with some bass compression and gain. True, its the verse, chorus, bridge formula. But if you noticed we are elaborating on different tempo, time sigs and keys.

we figured our demo should be easily absorbed by whoever handles the booking at the clubs.

As for the long intros... Im going to ad some more guitar layering on top of it that will make different textures and stuff. Having fun recording this really.

#139056 by jsantos
Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 am
oh man... you think I'm a metal head. lol

Cheers!

#139057 by Scratchy
Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:09 am
jsantos wrote:oh man... you think I'm a metal head. lol

Cheers!

Hey.....we (metal heads) all come in different shapes and sizes.

#139058 by jsantos
Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 am
Scratchy wrote:
jsantos wrote:oh man... you think I'm a metal head. lol

Cheers!

Hey.....we (metal heads) all come in different shapes and sizes.

cool cool... I wish I can grow my hair out again. Scratchy, you may like the metal scene right now in Chicago. We have all kinds... Death, Melodic, Black etc. Not hard finding a venue to play at. Let me know if your band needs a spot here. I can contact them for you.

#139060 by Krul
Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 am
Over where I'm at we have something called Neo-Thrash. These guys even wear the big, ugly white basketball sneakers. I can't say that I "get it".