This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5049 by Craig Maxim
Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:38 pm
I used to have a fairly successful business, which in those days would buy me pretty much any equiptment I wanted, whenever I wanted it. After 9-11 it went south a bit, and now I get to upgrade only once or twice a year. Waiting for the stuff you want really makes you appreciate it better.

Line 6 Spider III guitar amp - $499.00

I recently updraded to a decent Line 6 Spider III 150W guitar amp, which is an improvement over the 75W amp I was forced to work with before. They have remodeled all their sounds and not only improved them, but included 400 presets, 250 of which were created by well known guitarists. I'm having fun with it so far.

Roland Fantom X6 workstation - $1999.00

But my sweetest new toy that I just got, is my Roland Fantom X6 keyboard. Has 16 midi tracks of recording and 8 audio. You can plug guitars, bass, vocals, etc... in the keyboard and had some mastering tools, so you can cut a fair demo in this thing. But the sounds are amazing. My lead guitarist has forbidden me from using the lead guitar sounds, because with the pitch bender and my fairly fast fingers, and the Fantom's amazing samples, I give him a run for his money. LOL

Apple Mac Pro Dual 3.0GHz - $3499.00

Still on my wish list. This and a ProTools package to install on it. Ahhh... dreams. LOL

-----------------

So here's the thing....

List the instruments you just got, or the ones still on your wish list, with the prices and why you want (or just got) that particular item.

It'll be fun, and may help others try out a different instrument than they originally had their eyes on!
#5051 by Hink
Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:46 pm
Craig Maxim wrote:I used to have a fairly successful business, which in those days would buy me pretty much any equiptment I wanted, whenever I wanted it. After 9-11 it went south a bit, and now I get to upgrade only once or twice a year. Waiting for the stuff you want really makes you appreciate it better.

Line 6 Spider III guitar amp - $499.00

I recently updraded to a decent Line 6 Spider III 150W guitar amp, which is an improvement over the 75W amp I was forced to work with before. They have remodeled all their sounds and not only improved them, but included 400 presets, 250 of which were created by well known guitarists. I'm having fun with it so far.

Roland Fantom X6 workstation - $1999.00

But my sweetest new toy that I just got, is my Roland Fantom X6 keyboard. Has 16 midi tracks of recording and 8 audio. You can plug guitars, bass, vocals, etc... in the keyboard and had some mastering tools, so you can cut a fair demo in this thing. But the sounds are amazing. My lead guitarist has forbidden me from using the lead guitar sounds, because with the pitch bender and my fairly fast fingers, and the Fantom's amazing samples, I give him a run for his money. LOL

Apple Mac Pro Dual 3.0GHz - $3499.00

Still on my wish list. This and a ProTools package to install on it. Ahhh... dreams. LOL

-----------------

So here's the thing....

List the instruments you just got, or the ones still on your wish list, with the prices and why you want (or just got) that particular item.

It'll be fun, and may help others try out a different instrument than they originally had their eyes on!

you might want to rethink your wish list, at least the computer...and pt...I have sonar5, AA, FL7 and I just got samplitude 9 pro, pt does not even interest me...in november I had a computer built to be just a DAW...

Dual Processor Desktop
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Core2 Duo Motherboard
Memory: 2GB DDR2-800 : 2x1GB (8 gig max)
VGA card: ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB DVI/VGA
----
Optical Drive 1: NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner
----
Primary Hard Drive: 160GB SATA II (Primary Drive)
Operating System: Windows XP Home
----
Audio Hard Drive: 500GB SATA II (Audio Drive)

Samsung 22" widescreen monitor and now I'm using a presonus firestudio soundcard....my machine was in the same price range as your dream mac...trust me, my machine can handle my needs quite well and I use a lot of vsts...too much audio software still does not support mac, especially some of the stuff being made by small develoers...I think the days of mac being better for DAWs are gone with the intel core 2 dous (btw, mine is upgradable to quad core) ...just a suggestion :D

#5054 by Craig Maxim
Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:02 am
Thanks bro.

I have only owned PC's so far, but I know that graphics guys prefer Macs and I have heard people say that they would be more stable for DAWs as well. So, I don't know. I like the compatibilities of PC's, but Macs are supposed to be more stable, virus free (is that really true?) and perhaps user friendlier.

I know that Pro Tools is the industry standard though, and NOTHING with Pro Tools, even the LE versions is very cheap. :cry:

#5057 by Hink
Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:31 am
actually I know a few mac users who would dispute your beliefs in pt...most would go with logic, I know I would if I used a mac...but I use a pc and samplitude...viruses are not a factor, my DAW has never and will never see the internet...samplitude and the firestudio are imho opinion much better than digi 002 with le...you should try some demos to see what suits you best, and you might wanna stop by KVR too http://www.kvraudio.com/ a great site for this type of discussion...but beware mac/pc debates can get heated...kvr is a great resource though for anyone recording music on computers...tell them hink sent yah...but then again I'll probably be the first to welcome you :)

#5064 by AustinTatious
Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:51 pm
right now I just need a good bass stack since my band might actually be doing some moere gigs here shortly. I'm of course still looking to play guitar in a band. As far as the bass rig, I'm probably gonna look into Hartke or Ampeg, preferably something 600W or more in the head, maybe two 4x12"s cab. I donno, still looking.

#5088 by J_J
Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:07 pm
i'm simple to please. i've got my les paul. now i want and american standard strat. black finish, maple fretboard, chrome pickguard.

i play through a marshall head, 4x12 cab but i'd really like a mesa boogie. i love the fullness the mesa has that the marshall just can't seem to pull.

#5117 by Craig Maxim
Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:35 pm
My bass player has a wish list. He wants a new amp. He has been looking at Behringer products, because they are pretty inexpensive. 450 watts for $350 bucks, but I have been told these amps are not very road worthy, that they can break down easily. Not good for touring. Anyone have experience with Behringer products? How do they sound? Are they road worthy?

#5129 by BassPlay3r
Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:50 pm
Craig Maxim wrote:My bass player has a wish list. He wants a new amp. He has been looking at Behringer products, because they are pretty inexpensive. 450 watts for $350 bucks, but I have been told these amps are not very road worthy, that they can break down easily. Not good for touring. Anyone have experience with Behringer products? How do they sound? Are they road worthy?

I heard the bass vamps are great. I've not heard much on the heads and cabs

#5130 by BassPlay3r
Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:32 pm
Craig Maxim wrote:Thanks bro.

I have only owned PC's so far, but I know that graphics guys prefer Macs and I have heard people say that they would be more stable for DAWs as well. So, I don't know. I like the compatibilities of PC's, but Macs are supposed to be more stable, virus free (is that really true?) and perhaps user friendlier.

I know that Pro Tools is the industry standard though, and NOTHING with Pro Tools, even the LE versions is very cheap. :cry:

I just bought a macbook for my wife and she hates it. Mostly because Firefox keeps doing weird stuff. I think it would be OK if I got her off of FF onto Opera. The Wireless config on tiger is stupid. Other that that, the OS seems stable. Remeber OSX is based on FreeBSD which is a form of unix. It is vulnerable to the same attacks (buffer overflows) as unix. That being said keeping up on your system updated should keep you somewhat safe. AFAIK most mac people like the digital performer. Which seems to lead in innovation over Cakewalk and Cubase. Forexample DP had audio snap and Sonar just got it in 6.0.

For me my wish list is

Studio Monitors
A new SWR practice amp with a ground lift on the DI out
A new Walnut LB76
A better rig, EBS? Eppihani, Eden?
Boss multi effects pedal
Mutron Env Filter
A backhoe with front loader :D

#5172 by Casey of Black Santa
Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 pm
i have:

Geddy Lee Fender Jazz bass

SWR Workingman's 4004 head

SWR Workingman's 4x10 cab

Hartke 4x10 cab

DOD 680 Analog Delay

Digitech Whammy

Boss Digital Delay

Fender Blender fuzz

Digitech Death Metal distortion

DOD Overdrive Plus

Danelectro Milk Shake chorus

i would like to have:

Epiphone Thunderbird (in the process of obtaining)

SUNN O))) 400 - 600 Watt head

SUNN O))) 4x10 cab

two SUNN O))) 15" cabs

Orange 4x10 cab

Digitech Jimi Hendrix Wah

Electro Harmonix Big Muff

a distortion or overdrive pedal that i could use just for a bit of gain and cruch.

i would still use all of the other equpment i allready have. yes, amps and all!

#5182 by Irminsul
Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:35 pm
I dispute that Mac is still the pro standard for audio production. I used Mac for 15 years before going over to PC about 4 years ago (I got frustrated with the lack of good software for Mac systems). In comparing the two, I have found that PC systems will do everything a Mac will do - for less money. I used ProTools until I want PC and then decided to try Cubase - which I stick to, to this day. It's superior, in my view. More plugins available, more controlability, more dynamic fluidity.

#5195 by Craig Maxim
Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:11 am
Thanks Irminsul,

That eases my worries. It's a big step (to me) to switch to Mac. Even with the compatibility programs to make it easier to relate with PC software, who wants to have to have all these programs just to relate with the majority of the world who uses PC's. Bill Gates may be the robber baron of the modern era, who like Rockefeller with his oil being king because of his cut-throat arrangements with the railroads, and Gates similarly using his arrangements with PC manufacturers and bundled software.... but, what's done is done. And neither Mac as a computer manufacturer, nor Linux as an operating system is going break the stranglehold Microsoft has on the computer world anytime soon.

So I guess I'll stick with PC's for now.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. It was helpful.

#5197 by Jay Barber
Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:14 am
My Wish list? oh god... vintage fender stack and one of the guitars from the original build of les paul guitars. with a line6 multi-effects pedal and....one of the cool retro mics i think a company named bloo makes them im not sure i saw it in musicans friend magazine. but thats it for me lol. not much...maybe santa will bring it, if he scratches my guitar im kickin his fat ass and next year putting arsinic in his cookies..

#5198 by BassPlay3r
Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:21 am
Don't give up! Fight the good fight! Make an effort to not use M$ whenever possible. If I wasn't already on the sonar methodone program, I'd probably switch. I wish I knew of rosegarden on linux before I bought sonar because thats free and apparently gaining ground. Not as pretty as sonar but...

I've got it down to one windoze box in my house and thats mostly because of CW and um er BF2142 :D Even so I don't use M$ office. Open office works just fine.

Anyway good luck on what ever you choose

#5203 by keytarman
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:23 pm
The Nord Electro baby, a decent vocoder (not impressed with Korg's deal) And maybe some new Native Instruments software.