This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#412 by Guest
Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:20 am
8) Hi All!

I am a big Dream Theater fan. My fav CD is 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulance. I have all thier CD's, pretty cool stuff. I am also in a good Prog band and we cover lots of thier stuff. :shock: I am also a fan of Rush, Symphony X, King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc. etc.

TR

#413 by dakotajay
Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:46 pm
6 degrees ROCKS! But I think one of their best is still Images and Words. Although the newest one Octavarium is smoking hot too.

#414 by mus1cfreak
Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:44 pm
To me, the best albums are not necessarily the one with commercial hits, but the one that have the overall musicality. I have not heard it in a while, but I remember one of my favorite albums was Izzy Stradlin and the joojoo hounds (d'i spell that right?). I think I can understand why it wasn't commercial success, BUT It was one of the best played, recorded and writen albums I could remember.

I just remember the impression that it let on me. Very musical

#415 by shewolf12290
Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 am
I love Dream Theater!!! I can't really say which is my favorite.. but if I had to choose, it'd be Scenes From a Memory.. although, Train Of Thought is a good one too... Six Degrees is awesome.. been listening to that alot.. the Glass Prison is an awesome tune.. Solitary Shell.. War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped them All.. About to Crash... all great tunes.. but to tell you the truth, I didn't like Octavarium much... I personally found it quite obnoxious! I liked it when I saw them live (This past Gigantour). I could actually hear what Labrie was saying.. where as on the album, I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Amazing band though. :D

#416 by Sandi Joy
Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:29 am
...I used to be a HUGE Dream Theater fan back in High School (*which wasn't that long ago...lol). I even did an art project where I constructed a "Dream Theater" out of cardboard, paint and sparkly stuff. Kind of a silly little shadowbox thing but it was cool regardless.
But for some reason, pretty much overnight, I grew tired of them.
I mean, don't get me wrong, they're incredibly tight. Each musician in the band is more talented than the other, but for me, it just got old. Too many notes, maybe? Too much LaBrie vibrato? I dunno.
Either way, I have an incredible amount of respect for the band as musicians, but you most likely won't catch me buying anymore DT albums.
I'm DT'd out. Lol

#747 by acidblade
Tue May 09, 2006 11:23 pm
dream theater rules

#756 by The_Musician
Thu May 11, 2006 9:28 pm
I have to say that even though images and words was a great album, it still remains untopped. I love how their hard hitting riffs and crazy fitting and not so fitting drumlines were only complimented more by the singer. He got too high at times, but still showed that crunchy riffs and off chords could be fitted and molded together without having to kill your throat and scream all the damned time.

Havent delved too much into their other stuff. Train of thought was alright, but was still nothing compared to their first. Octacvium was annoying. So i wish them all luck, but fluke still comes to mind when i think of dream theatre.
#894 by Guest
Sun May 28, 2006 4:35 pm
Ya i cant blame ya for bein a fan of theres. They have a great drummer

#1802 by ColorsFade
Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 pm
Yes, Dream Theater fan here. They were the band that opened up my mind and ears to the possibilities of music. Before Dream Theater everything was four minutes in 4/4 time. Afterwards it was a new world.

Petrucci is also the guy who showed me a new world of guitar playing. His was the first stuff I came across that I went, "Wow, I can't play that." He's amazing and his technique is rock solid perfect. Watching him at G3 was a real schooling. I love Via and Satriani, but I thought they were not as good as Petrucci. He's on another planet it seems like. Virtuoso is a word invented for people like him.

I think Awake and Falling Into Infinity are the only weak spots when it comes to albums, and even those albums have some of my favorite tunes. It's actually difficult for me to listen to most non-progressive music now. It needs to have a really great hook or melody, otherwise I get bored (but there's still some great 4-minute music out there, don't get me wrong).

#2091 by thebassismyasylum
Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 pm
I flippin' LOVE dream theater! scenes from a memory is my favorite, too... The drumline I am in did a percussion show of the track "Dance of Eternity" fused with "Home" and OMFG it was great. we won EVERY competition we went to. Too bad we never went to world championships with that show, because... finalists, look out, fairfield high school is kicking ass and taking names. Man I miss that show... since then, Dream Theater is HUGE with me!

#3130 by Guest
Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:18 am
I love Dream Theater. I used to think their music was the sh*t but now not only do i love their music I also respect them a lot as individual human beings. I love all the material they come up with and their side projects as well. I even started listening to their more traditional melow and simple songs like Vacant, and Take away my pain and so on... I love their work and i love to study their music in order to become the best musician that I can be. Other Progressive bands like Planet X are also great but they just don't compare to Dream theater's love for music and their creativity in general. And Mike Portnoy might not be the best drummer but he's the coolest to me. Anyway i find that all their albums are unique and amazing but I use dto think that Train of Thought and Scenes From A Memory were the best. Can't wait for whatever they come out with next. By the way SCORE kicks ass too Octavarium and Metropolis are epic.

#3139 by wshnryu
Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:58 pm
I love Dream Theater. Scenes From A Memory is my favorite.

#3155 by SeraphimeDeath
Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:52 pm
images and words is the best cd by DT. To me DT runs hot and cold with their cd's it's like every other cd is great and the other is ok.

#3445 by Shangover
Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:47 am
Dream Theater owns all.

Heh

#3449 by taphappy
Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:16 pm
Petrucci is absolutely a madman.

After 8 years of being unable to play due to an accident (right out of music school, of course) involving my right wrist, a friend convinced me to play lead guitar for his band. At this point, I'm a bassist, I've only used guitar to write rhythm, hadn't practiced that whole time, and could only play for 5 minute bursts. Figured out how to jazz pick (locked wrist, drive from elbow), and could play! Awesome!

Now, I always wanted to learn the solo from Under a Glass Moon. Really bad. I think you can see where this is going.

Straight out of the starting gate, I grabbed the Images and Words book, and started learning the song. Never knew what the rhythm guitar was really doing buried back there in the mix...yowtch. Just that alone took time. Especially since I pretty much knew how to strum an acoustic with a pick, and that's it. But I'd just quit smoking, and it was oh so therapeutic.

Eventually got it. Took about a week just on picking technique, then another week for the song.

I think I developed a twitch in my right eye for a bit after. Don't really remember. That period of my life is a little fuzzy :)