This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#131090 by gbheil
Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:53 pm
Thanks.

A little extra information is always helpful.

#131095 by RGMixProject
Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 pm
That is great, I'm gonna laminate that and hang it next to the one I use. i can never remember what note 440 is.

#131375 by fisherman bob
Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:35 am
I used to have a hand-held spectrum analyzer and run pink noise through my PA. You could actually "see" what this chart is talking about. Very useful info, thanks for posting it. IMO in all the shows I have seen over the years most bands suppress the high end too much. It's kind of tricky to raise the high end, feedback can happen, but vocals sound a lot better when you can hear the s, t, p, etc. Without a balanced EQ vocals sound like mud. Especially on my voice I have found I need higher treble settings than most singers. This chart is a very good place to start. Learn all there is to learn about EQ and your band will sound great every time. You can set your sound and never have to worry about feedback. Know the levels of all the frequencies at all times and learn how to get the best vocal sound.

#131495 by 90 dB
Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:30 pm
fisherman bob wrote:I used to have a hand-held spectrum analyzer and run pink noise through my PA. You could actually "see" what this chart is talking about. Very useful info, thanks for posting it. IMO in all the shows I have seen over the years most bands suppress the high end too much. It's kind of tricky to raise the high end, feedback can happen, but vocals sound a lot better when you can hear the s, t, p, etc. Without a balanced EQ vocals sound like mud. Especially on my voice I have found I need higher treble settings than most singers. This chart is a very good place to start. Learn all there is to learn about EQ and your band will sound great every time. You can set your sound and never have to worry about feedback. Know the levels of all the frequencies at all times and learn how to get the best vocal sound.

A lot of people try to get more clarity by boosting the high frequencies, which inevitably results in feedback, so they back off the highs. The best way to increase clarity in live vocals is to cut the low freqs (particularly in the 200-500 Hz area), rather than boost the highs. You will get more gain before feedback as well.

There is a local club here that has a nice system - JBL powered mains (5) flown from the ceiling. The system should sound great, but the guy mixing the bands doesn't know what an EQ is. The vocal are all mud. Makes me crazy. :x

#131505 by gbheil
Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:49 pm
Good info. I'll have to toy with that some.

Tony is always complaining that he "can't hear himself" in the mix.

Even when it sounds good to the rest of us.

If this will help him with his vocals it's worth a shot.

Also been told we need compression to our live vocals.

Not willing to expend resources for a compressor until I've done some more research.

#131511 by 90 dB
Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:11 pm
"Also been told we need compression to our live vocals."

Compression is not usually used on live vocals, especially in monitor mixes. The louder the singer sings, the more the comp squashes the signal - the singer tries to compensate by singing louder, which can result in injury. Mic placement, technique and judicious use of EQ are the preferred methods.

"Tony is always complaining that he "can't hear himself" in the mix.

Even when it sounds good to the rest of us."

I believe that he uses a stand-mounted monitor, right? You might try getting him a good 12" floor monitor with a dedicated 31 band EQ just for his monitor mix. Either that, or in-ears.

#131513 by gbheil
Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:13 pm
Thanks for the input.

I'm making notes. :wink: