This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#129199 by GormanBechard
Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:07 pm
We’re looking for five completely unknown bands for a documentary on the rock n’ roll that’s being created in basements and garages across America. (Think HOOP DREAMS for indie rock bands.)

We’re not looking for “musicians, ” or people pushing 30. We want kids who need to play, who feel lost otherwise, who use rock as their only means of communication. Everyone at school hates you, your parents don’t understand, but a few times a week you get together with a handful of friends in a basement and create glorious noise. We don’t care where you are. (As long as you’re in the U.S.) This is as much about your need to play as it is about the music you make. No posers.

Send us a few photos and a demo cd of three to five songs (you can just pop the photos as jpegs on the CD), as well as something about you, anything. Your reasons, bare your soul. Open our eyes. Make us cry. Make us go WOW.

Mail to: What Were We Thinking Films, PO Box 6260, Hamden, CT 06517 Be sure to include your contact info. (Please do not email us MP3s, or any links to websites/ myspace pages.)

Pass this ad around to anyone you know. We’ve just started the process of looking.

P.S. this is our last film: www.ColorMeObsessed.com

NOTE: THE POST ABOUT METAL TUNES IS ON PAGE THREE
Last edited by GormanBechard on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#129200 by RhythmMan
Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:13 pm
" . . . We’re not looking for “musicians, ” or people pushing 30 . . ."
Heh-heh.

#129201 by AUGROCKS
Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm
LOL....

#129233 by Hayden King
Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:51 am
WOW! What an artistic statement this will be; "kids" that are nowhere but just have to play... so that means that they've dedicated their "entire adult... scratch that - juvenile lives" to their art... well, at least until they quit and go to work for their dad or uncle because they're "pushing 20?"...

Gimme a break will ya!

How about featuring real artists that HAVE dedicated their ENTIRE lives to their art, whether it paid off monetarily or socially or not?!

Sounds like typical opportunistic grubbers milking fads and the kids that follow them; I don't have a problem with that as long as it's not labeled as art!
#129237 by gbheil
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 am
GormanBechard wrote:We’re looking for five completely unknown bands for a documentary on the rock n’ roll that’s being created in basements and garages across America. (Think HOOP DREAMS for indie rock bands.)

We’re not looking for “musicians, ” or people pushing 30. We want kids who need to play, who feel lost otherwise, who use rock as their only means of communication. Everyone at school hates you, your parents don’t understand, but a few times a week you get together with a handful of friends in a basement and create glorious noise. We don’t care where you are. (As long as you’re in the U.S.) This is as much about your need to play as it is about the music you make. No posers.

Send us a few photos and a demo cd of three to five songs (you can just pop the photos as jpegs on the CD), as well as something about you, anything. Your reasons, bare your soul. Open our eyes. Make us cry. Make us go WOW.

Mail to: What Were We Thinking Films, PO Box 6260, Hamden, CT 06517 Be sure to include your contact info. (Please do not email us MP3s, or any links to websites/ myspace pages.)

Pass this ad around to anyone you know. We’ve just started the process of looking.

P.S. this is our last film: www.ColorMeObsessed.com

About a discriminatory bastard aren't you.

Generally I'd wish people luck on musical projects, but to exploit troubled youth. And feed their psychosocial maladjustment.

Shame on you.

#129242 by Hayden King
Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:11 am
Wow! Sans I'm so en-sensed about my sh*t that I didn't even read that from it... man it is time for me to haul ass outa here for sure!!!

And now that my blundering eye has had it pointed out to it, I SECOND WHAT SANS SAID!

#129247 by fisherman bob
Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 am
This has to be the weirdest search ever on Bandmix. They don't want musicians but want people who make glorious noise. They want teenagers whom everybody hates, and whose parents don't understand. Are you going to turn somebody like this into the next Justin Bieber? What is the purpose of this? What Hayden said, how about some attention to people who have labored for many YEARS and make "glorious noise." They are the ones who truly deserve to be spot-lighted on a documentary. Not some teenager who hasn't paid anywhere near the dues that people like Hayden have paid. This really isn't a documentary, just another vehicle to take advantage of teenagers.

#129250 by GormanBechard
Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:53 am
Actually if anyone took the time to check the link, you'd probably figure out I'm looking for the next Replacements, but the band BEFORE their first cd...and I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet Paul and company didn't consider themselves "musicians" at that point in their timeline...(and that's about as far from Justin Bieber as I can imagine).

Sorry if you find this so offensive, but I'm looking for something we haven't heard yet (if that even exists)...not something we've heard a million times before.

Not looking to exploit anyone...I make small indie films that play film festivals (again, perhaps checking link before responding)...I'm doing it because I love finding new bands, and I realized in telling the Mats story that their real story might be hinding in basements all across america, playing music they think no one will ever hear or care about. If you don't get that, well...

Note I put the word "musician" in quotes...there was a reason for that.

P.S. Also not looking to turn anyone into anything...never said that. Looking for 5 never-been-heard bands, looking to show why they play, how they play, where they play, who they play for, what they sound like...

#129254 by Hayden King
Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:31 am
So your looking for the next teen band then eh. Well hell why didn't you just say so. Then we could have told you to piss off for that!

You come to a "musicians" site loaded with struggling under appreciated artists whom have thrown their entire being and often every spare dime into making music, and you expect not to get sh*t from us for it?

Go give some teenager who probably doesn't know what sacrificing for his art even means (unless it's having to mow the lawn for dad or work in a burger joint) a big chunk of exposure.

Do you really think that there aren't incredibly good acts out there to be found that are pushing their 30's, or 40's, or even 50's who actually not only deserve, but have earned a break?

Many of my fans think that I'm very young, like early 20's by my voice on some songs. I'm 51. They don't give a sh*t how old I am, they just like the song. And when they find out my age at a show guess what... they think it's cool as hell.

So your not here just because you "love to find new acts".

I'll just stick to seconding what Bob said!

#129264 by GormanBechard
Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 am
First off, never used the word "teen"...you guys did. I said no one pushing 30...my musical genre of choice is punk, or at least noise-pop, if you haven't figured that out, and I'm sorry, it's rather hard to believe a 50 year old punk.

What I'm really lost with, is this is the doc I've decided to make. How would you feel is someone busted your ass for not playing rap or opera, or whatever. You can make the film on struggling older musicians, if you'd like. It's a free country. That's not the movie I want to make. Just like rap, opera, whatever, is probably not the music you want to play. (Just as I wouldn't want the next great rapper, prog rocker, C/W artist in my movie, no matter their age.)

What I'm surprised you're not doing, is perhaps telling some of your younger fans who might play, that hey, there's a guy making a movie looking for new bands...

I want people who haven't played, I want to film the fear and excitment of that first gig in a room filled with 8 people who aren't even paying attention. The energy that comes from youth. 50 years olds can't jump 5 feet in the air when playing. Their guitars are always perfectly tuned. They sing in key. That bores me. Emo bores me as well, by the way. (Again, just made a feature on The Replacements, that should all be obvious.)

Sorry if you can't understand that.

Oh, and you saying I'm not here because I "love to find new acts" is bull crap. You know nothing about me, obviously. (Perhaps you should check the bands who played on my two features prior to the Mats doc, or my year end music list on my blog, before making blanket statements. When I couldn't get a Neutral Milk Hotel song for my film You Are Alone, I literally went through over a thousand tracks before deciding on a replacement...all of my free time is spent looking for new music I like.)

Basically, I posted an ad that pierced your very thin skin...and you became a bully. I'm making a doc about the people you would bully for not being able to "play right." I can understand why that bothers you.

P.S. The gal whose song opens the site for YOU ARE ALONE is in her 40s...while the gal whose songs opens the site for FRIENDS (WITH BENEFITS) is in her 20s...I don't care about their ages...I care that their songs fit what I was looking for...

www.YouAreAlone.com

www.FWBmovie.com

#129269 by 90 dB
Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:09 pm
Gorman,

This sounds like an interesting documentary you are making. It might even be a springboard for some young unsigned bands. Best of luck with your project.

#129272 by GormanBechard
Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:26 pm
90 dB wrote:Gorman,

This sounds like an interesting documentary you are making. It might even be a springboard for some young unsigned bands. Best of luck with your project.

Thank you! If you know anyone who might fit the bill, please pass the info on...

#129289 by Krul
Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm
30 is the new 20, I thought you knew! :o

#129294 by Hayden King
Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:54 pm
oh I see, your making a documentary about a group of young guys that can't play well and their guitars are always out of tune.
Well why would a bunch of seasoned performers have a problem with you posting on a professional musicians site announcing the desire to find and showcase an act like that?

Now I'm totally on your side "dude" :twisted:

I may have went a lil far south on you but WTF do you expect?
No Posers? where the hell did that come from?
FYI I AM an old PUNK Rocker my friend. I was still fronting a punk band @ age 37. Though I looked much younger I was still 37. Age is not a requirement in the philosophy (that's right, it aint no fukn lifestyle) of punk either!

So all in all I, and I'm sure a few others are yes, offended by your query simply for it being on this site!

Go post it on a youth chat forum and maybe you'll actually find what your looking for, but not on a site for "professional" musicians!

or in a kinder gentler delivery... stop being a fukn mook!
Last edited by Hayden King on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#129295 by jimmydanger
Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:19 pm
There are three such bands on every block. If you have to go looking on a musician's site for them you're probably not qualified to make any kind of statement about them. Nine out of ten of these "bands" won't even be playing music in a year so why bother? Some of us have been playing music for 30+ years, and yes some of us play punk music; jumping five feet in the air while playing might be a deal breaker.