This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#127862 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 am
locking freaking amp knobs.

Somebody jacked with every one of my settings :twisted:

But I had fun dialing it in again.

So if I produced locking replacement knobs for amps.

How many of you would think about buying a set ?

Has maintenance of your settings ever been an issue ??

#127863 by MattFSax
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:30 am
Im a sax player, so I wouldnt, but a lot of the guys around the college would want some.

#127864 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:49 am
Thanks for the input.

#127870 by dizzizz
Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:11 am
I would, but I'd meed that in vol, treble, bass, limiter, and 7-band sliding graphic eq. Just for what's on my amp.

#127892 by Krul
Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 am
I've given thought as to how those could be made(locking knobs). In the meantime, I'll just use masking tape and draw a line straight up so I can dial everything right back in.

Sans, when did you peek in my spiral notebooks? :lol:

#127900 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 pm
Thought of drilling and taping the back side of the elongated knobs and installing a small set screw. The rounded knobs would present a whole different issue.

#127903 by J-HALEY
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm
Sans once you get it dialed in the way you like it mark your settings! I just memorize where they are at but the sound does change from venue to venue. I always tweak mine after I get everything set up. Sometimes while moving my amp from the truck to the venue and back again your leg can rub against them moving them.

#127905 by jimmydanger
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm
Just put everything on 10 and you're all set.

#127920 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 pm
I generally only tweak the soak / volume balance for a venue and for specific songs.
I've developed a good enough ear for "my sound" that it is easy enough to regain but I would not want to have to do it before a show.
And I hate the idea of putting any kind of mark or sticker on my $500.00 amp. Perhaps I'll have the setting tattooed on my arm.
LOL

#127927 by jw123
Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:34 pm
Along that line of thought just make a clear cover to cover them that you can flip up and down with soem sort of snap mechanizm.

I adjust mine a lot and if they locked it could cause a problem at a gig. Of course I play tube amps.

When I used my Line 6 POD unit, I set it once and it never changes, so maybe solid state you could lock in.

#127934 by Metal D
Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:15 pm
Just like Krul does...I put a piece of 3/4" masking tape across the lower part of the amp, just below the channels and knobs. Then I write the setting just below each one. I've had many issues with other people messing with sh*t in this band when we're not practicing. Stupid kids (in their 20's) get drunk, wrestle around, and bump into things.

What's worse is my rack unit, so I taped a piece of paper under the cover with all of those settings written down on it, just in case something were to happen to that as well. Funny how nothing in my studio never gets messed with, but when you go to someone else's jam space? Well...idiots are everywhere that lack any form of intelligence and/or have any clue of what they're doing.

#127956 by Starfish Scott
Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 pm
I write my settings down on a pad I carry in the guitar case.

Seems like someone is always wanting to turn the knobs one way or another. I think they need a broken finger or two.

If you make this thing, Sans, can you make it like a cage that goes down over the knobs and locks in place? lol

#127972 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 pm
Maybe I should just set my coon trap in front of my amp.

Being an open back tube amp, I could put the settings on a index card and tape it inside...

Simple enough ... thanks for the ideas.

The more I think about it, most guitarist would not want their settings locked.
Unless it was like a push pull lock. And that would require redesigning and replacing all the potentiometers. :shock:

Think I'll pass.

#127973 by Mike Nobody
Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm
Sticking them in racks with some kind of cover would help. A more drastic approach would be to replace the pots with resistors to match your settings. Some musicians I've read about simply removed the pots they didn't want and soldered the connection in place.

#127975 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:45 pm
Good ideas, but I have issues about modifying my equipment. LOL

Funny though, I'll modify a firearm in a heartbeat to meet a specific need or desire. But when it comes to my amps & guitars, I don't even want to install strap locks. :oops: