This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#124617 by Monson
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:02 pm
Ok not all of us have had the pleasure of playing in bands some have played duo's or alone.
I will be meeting a band for the first time and am just wondering wat the do's and donts are?

DO'S

1. bring equipment (guitar ect...)
2. sample music (C.D.)
3. (vocalist) bring your own mic
4. bring your ears and use them
5. learn the materal

DONT'S

1. go in all hungover/stoned
2. Bring a attitude
3. bring beer/drugs
4. bring anyong else
5. expect them to supply anything
6. be late

Ok now here's were i need all of you to help out! I will update this with all of your input.
Last edited by Monson on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#124620 by Prevost82
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:40 pm
Monson wrote:Ok not all of us have had the pleasure of playing in bands some have played duo's or alone.
I will be meeting a band for the first time and am just wondering wat the do's and donts are?

DO'S

1. bring equipment (guitar ect...) that works
2. sample music (C.D.) ????
3. Learn the material that will be played
4. Bring your ears and use them

DONT'S

1. go in all hungover or stoned
2. be a rock star ... add something to the music
3. bring an attitude ... check your ego at the door
4. be late

#124624 by jimmydanger
Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 pm
What Prevost said plus:

Don't bring anyone else, especially gf's, buddies, other musicians...

Don't try to tell the band they're playing a song wrong, even if they are...

Don't bring a six-pack even if they tell you they drink at practice...

Do have as much prepared beforehand as possible. If they give you a list of 40 songs have 20 ready for example...

#124630 by Starfish Scott
Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:55 pm
Do bring your own instrument and cables/equipment you need to play.

If you are a vocalist, bring your own mic.

Do not expect them to supply you anything.

Be prepared for anything.

#124632 by Monson
Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:09 pm
Prevost, Jimmy, and Capt

Thanks for the input i have added to the list

#124637 by Chaeya
Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 pm
I have nothing to add really, everyone's said it.

I'm meeting a bass player this weekend. I just want to buy him a cup of coffee and discuss our strategy for our band. I've already heard his stuff and he's heard ours.

He plays with other people, so I'd like to go hear him play on stage just to see what he can do. That's until I can get a rehearsal of my own going.

Chaeya

#124642 by RhythmMan
Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:44 pm
Just before you leave - tune your guitar.
Play it (at home) for 10 minutes - then tune it AGAIN..
Next time you audition, ask them what they want you to bring, besides your guitar.
If the ask you to bring your amp (which they probably will - but not necessarily), bring an extension cord and a 3-way adapter.
Don't borrow anyone's picks; that's annoying (because they often disappear).
Bring a bag of munchies.

#124647 by philbymon
Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 pm
And when you tune that axe, USE A FRIKKEN TUNER - A-440, unless the band has other requirements, if you please!

Nothing I hate worse than having to listen to some sap tune by ear. I've never met anyone who could do it consistently well. Use the tool, fool! And, for the record, if you plan on tuning by ear on stage, you might get away with it once, if I'm in an especially good mood, but I'll never work with you again. I've been known to unplug ppl's axes for that crap, as I hand them a tuner.

Don't bring an instrument that won't stay in tune, or has a busted jack, or sounds like crap cuzza the buzz buzz buzz of the bad ground, either.

#124648 by Crip2nite
Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:23 pm
Bring a few big breasted Bavarians
Bring your favorite cigarette holder
ALWAYS wear a top-hat
Paint polka dots on your face

Don't fart within the first 3 minutes of introductions
Don't mention anything about your STD's
Don't bring Kelbasy only for yourself
Don't keep taking your bite plate out every time you wanna talk and get saliva all over your instrument.

#124649 by Shapeshifter
Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 pm
I DON"T SHARE MY KEILBASA WITH ANYONE!

M suggestion is simple: COMMUNICATE. Find out what thye expect, what their plans are (what direction they are taking). This may sound like a no brainer, but trust me. The more you know, the netter off you are. Hell, you may find out that it's a group of disorganized idiots-and you are wasting your time. OR, they may turn out to be VERY organized. You'll never know until you ask the right questions...

Can we talk about my STDs now?

Just kidding, honestly. :lol:

#124651 by Chaeya
Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:08 pm
RhythmMan wrote:Don't borrow anyone's picks; that's annoying (because they often disappear).

Are you serious? We can't get rid of picks. I have a pick jar in the studio, a pick jar home, there's picks in my car and I don't even play guitar. If I gathered all the picks from my studio, home, my car, his car, and turn them into coins, I could quit my day job. I could wallpaper my house with picks and still have some leftover.

Instead of the Sixpence song, we sing the Pick Song

I got picks, jolly jolly picks, I got picks to last me my whole life
I got picks to lend
I got picks to spend
even picks to give to my husband's ex wife

No cares have I to grieve me
I'll still have picks if one deceives me
I have so many picks believe me
enough to build a wagon and roll my ass home

This on top of Cisco's personalized picks with his name on them.

Chaeya

#124652 by gbheil
Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm
I would be tempted to just show up and listen the first night, of course I'd let them know up front that was my intent.
Much easier to get a feel of where you might fit into and established situation if at first you concentrate on observation.

I would always do that when checking out another Kwoon or Dojo.
Though I had strict rules against it in my school.

#124654 by Stranger
Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:23 pm
And when you tune that axe, USE A FRIKKEN TUNER - A-440, unless the band has other requirements, if you please!

A+ 1

I think some people are hung up on showing how well their ear works but I so agree, especially bass players who think that you can't hear it if it's a "little' off. But I've never heard of that FRIKKEN brand you mention........:roll:

The other thing is be honest... I can't tell you the tall stories I've heard from people. One guy said that he had been Gram Nash's bass player. Well I was very surprised when the guy couldn't play simple blues only to find out that he'd played with Gram Nash at a party once...And I bet it was one song and Nash was out of there.
But over and over I've met with people who over estimate their abilities by quite a large margin....

But not me....I've played with Gram Nash's bass player..... :lol:

#124664 by gtZip
Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm
philbymon wrote:And when you tune that axe, USE A FRIKKEN TUNER - A-440, unless the band has other requirements, if you please!

Nothing I hate worse than having to listen to some sap tune by ear. I've never met anyone who could do it consistently well. Use the tool, fool! And, for the record, if you plan on tuning by ear on stage, you might get away with it once, if I'm in an especially good mood, but I'll never work with you again. I've been known to unplug ppl's axes for that crap, as I hand them a tuner.

Don't bring an instrument that won't stay in tune, or has a busted jack, or sounds like crap cuzza the buzz buzz buzz of the bad ground, either.

I can do it consistently well. If it's 440.
But i would still use a tuner.

P.S.

+1 for ALWAYS wear a top-hat

#124675 by Shapeshifter
Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 am
The last guy I met to jam with basically refused to use a tuner...an 18 year old with perfect pitch (or so he thought). I haven't called him back since. :roll: