This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#122142 by CraigMaxim
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:58 pm
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5j9CRFYLbz5GS_ev0dre-4bZ_wyjg

UK Press
Masked musician named best drummer
(UKPA)

A masked musician who plays gravity defying solos has beaten stars such as Phil Collins and Dave Grohl to be named the greatest drummer of the past 25 years.

Joey Jordison of Slipknot, noted for playing two bass drums simultaneously, has to be strapped in his seat to play live as he performs on a spinning stage which tips to a 90-degree angle.

The boiler-suited player triumphed in the poll staged by leading UK drum magazine Rhythm to find readers' top choice of drummer for the past quarter century.

Grohl, known for his drumming work in bands such as Nirvana, Queens Of The Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures, but now better known as frontman for Foo Fighters, was fifth. Collins came ninth with around 0.3% of the votes.

Jordison, who drew nearly two-fifths of the 100,000 votes, said: "I'm at a loss for words. This is beyond unbelievable. Something like this reminds me every day why I continue to do this."

Metal band Slipknot are known for performing in matching boiler suits and wearing hideous latex masks. The band's bass player, Paul Gray, died in May after an accidental morphine overdose.

The editor of Rhythm magazine. whose poll took place via sister publication MusicRadar.com, said: "Since Slipknot hit the headlines in the late 90s, we've been consistently blown away by his mind-blowing technicality and ability to bolster any project with his unique sound and style. He obviously has a massive legion of loyal fans."

#122149 by gbheil
Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 pm
Accidental morphine overdose ??

He accidentally gave himself morphine ??

Or was he in a hospital where he was "accidentally overdosed " ??

Sorry all I got out of this whole article was someone making excuses for stupidity.

Accidental my ass.

Hey. I though I was shooting up WD40 !

#122155 by Krul
Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:38 pm
Ah, so a rockstar can get the misdemeanor charge with an accidental od, while the less glorified junkies just simply "od and are strung out."

Heroin: The only drug rockstars can get away with taking. :lol:

Sadly, I lost a few people to this drug. It was at a time when a big supply of it was everywhere in the Bay Area, and a lot of people I knew got caught up in it.

That drug always scared the hell outta me. I could never wrap my head around why needles were enticing.

#122185 by Chaeya
Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 pm
That guy's amazing.

The bass player had a lot of drug problems and it wasn't accidental as much as it was simply irresponsible. I saw him at NAMM back in 2009 and I just tried to snap a picture and this a-hole guard was like wanted me to stand in line with about 50 autograph seekers. Please. I just wanted to snap a random photo.

Chaeya

#122191 by gtZip
Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:54 am
Best in the last 25 years?
No way.

#122198 by gbheil
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:49 am
Thank you Chaeya !
Finally someone unafraid to be honest about drug addictions.

Stupid hurts.

The sooner we stop making excuses for irresponsible behaviors and out right stupidity the sooner we will stop losing friends and family.

WE are at choice ... choose to lose, don't expect tears in my eyes.

As far as the drummer. Eh, hard to comment as I have never seen him play.
No fan of Slipknot either.
Besides how would one prove such a preposterous supposition ??

#122203 by jimmydanger
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 am
I saw Slipknot at Ozzfest a few years ago and didn't really notice him.

Best drummer of the past 25 years? Terry Bozzio of course.

#122211 by gtZip
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:34 am
jimmydanger wrote:I saw Slipknot at Ozzfest a few years ago and didn't really notice him.

Best drummer of the past 25 years? Terry Bozzio of course.

Or Danny Carey, or Mike Portnoy.

#122214 by philbymon
Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:01 pm
I dunno this Slipknot character, or his skills. I tried to listen to them once, & about vomited along with the 'singer.'

If he can beat out Phil Collins' skills as a drummer, he's pretty hot sh*t.

Check out his Brand X work. I don't have time to look it up this morning, but there's some mighty fine STICK-work in that band.

#122221 by Tronix
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:25 pm
he's better than Phil Collins for the same reason there are a million guitarist that are better than Eddie Van Halen is now too. Phil did things first, this guy is taking the lessons taught from Phils music, and is playing it harder, faster and while riding a carnival ride... Jordison for the win! lol

is it possible there is a better drummer?....sure. Would any of those guys go into a drumming contest happy to have drawn Joey as their opponent? no way Jose'. :D

#122222 by jsantos
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:40 pm
gtZip wrote:
Or Danny Carey, or Mike Portnoy.

^^ good ones gt!

I wonder if Virgil Donati and Tomas Haake made it into the list. I think these guys are better.

#122298 by Krul
Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 pm
It's all a list of who is in the most popular bands...I mean, Lars Ulrich once won 2nd place. That should tell ya that these statistics are as uncoordinated as the RnR Hall of Fame.

#122340 by Starfish Scott
Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:01 pm
Once you start hard drugs, it's like starting the stopwatch on the rest of your life.

The same can be said about those who drink VERY hard.

"Click, clock is ticking..make it good because it won't be long.."

#122350 by Chaeya
Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:20 pm
Here's the problem I have with these things, if someone wants to be rated as the greatest and the best, let's hear what they have to do in other genres besides their own. Let's hear his timing on a complicated jazz beat and see how he comes out or a funk beat, some African rhythms or sit down at some tablas --- ooh, I'd be royally impressed. Is it just that my criteria for greatness is too high?

The public seems to think being a great musician is about acrobatics. But playing an instrument is about technique, timing, execution.

I hate contests and such for this reason. You can have guitar players competing and then you get some cat playing behind his head, playing with his teeth, but everybody will be wow, he's really good. Yeah, they have no clue that his guitar was all out of tune. Or some little kid comes along and everybody gets awed like he's a performing monkey and beat out guys that have years of experience. Yeah, he's good, but there's more to playing than just copying what you hear on a record. Let's hear you write your own solo, let's hear you improvise with a seasoned guitar player.

Contests, greatest lists, hall of fame, they are mostly about politics and it's all about someone's opinion. If I enter a contest it would be purely for political reasons of my own, not because I'd be a sucker enough to believe that I'm the latest greatest anything.

Chaeya

#122359 by dizzizz
Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:47 pm
Chaeya wrote:Here's the problem I have with these things, if someone wants to be rated as the greatest and the best, let's hear what they have to do in other genres besides their own. Let's hear his timing on a complicated jazz beat and see how he comes out or a funk beat, some African rhythms or sit down at some tablas --- ooh, I'd be royally impressed. Is it just that my criteria for greatness is too high?

The public seems to think being a great musician is about acrobatics. But playing an instrument is about technique, timing, execution.

I hate contests and such for this reason. You can have guitar players competing and then you get some cat playing behind his head, playing with his teeth, but everybody will be wow, he's really good. Yeah, they have no clue that his guitar was all out of tune. Or some little kid comes along and everybody gets awed like he's a performing monkey and beat out guys that have years of experience. Yeah, he's good, but there's more to playing than just copying what you hear on a record. Let's hear you write your own solo, let's hear you improvise with a seasoned guitar player.

Contests, greatest lists, hall of fame, they are mostly about politics and it's all about someone's opinion. If I enter a contest it would be purely for political reasons of my own, not because I'd be a sucker enough to believe that I'm the latest greatest anything.

Chaeya

if you want to hear jordison on a jazz beat, look up bitchslap, one of slipknot's very old songs. it's almost unlistenable if it wasn't for these odd jazzy sections thrown in.

where I would be interested is hearing him play with a small kit. It's easy to thrash around and make middle shoolers worship you if you've got a drum wherever your stick happens to land. To me, a truely great drummer doesn't need much to sound as good as the guys with 15 rototoms and 60 cymbals. (Sorry, Neil Pert. I still love you.)