This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#119078 by RhythmMan
Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:40 pm
Someone sent me an email of some group where the lead guitarist was drunk or something.
But he could still play, and to watch it, I had to sit through 5 minutes of BORING music.
The band had big video screens behind them, and were playing for a huge crowd, but I couldn't help thinking to myself, "Why would anyone pay to watch this concert?"
Oh, the guys were technically proficient and all, and the music was ok . . .
But it was BORING!
It was a slow song, and all it was was a guy doing scales on a kinda standard sounding progression.
Why even bother?
This kinda music just sounds like a personal practice for a lead player.
When would it ever end, and the actual music start?
Apparently a lot of people are really interested in simple-simple "nothing music," nowadays . . .
My question is this: have you people also found this to be true?
That is - music played really well - but waaay below your interest level?
Last edited by RhythmMan on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#119079 by philbymon
Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:55 pm
Audiences aren't musicians. They haven't been educated to know what's right or wrong, good or bad. All they know is whether or not they can remember it, Alan.

The stuff that bores you & I - the overly simplistic song structure without a bridge, the lack of real melodic content, the overproduced tripe, the simple slogan lyric, etc - the public will often eat it up like it's the world's best caviar (which they wouldn't recognize, either, now that I think of it).

40 years ago, the public WAS more educated in music, whether they wanted to be or not. Public schools had quality music curriculae with qualified teachers. The airwaves were full of product that was worthy, more often than not.

Now, we've dumbed down the education in our schools, & opened up the airwaves & live venues to the amateurs. Today's listener is more interested in the instant slogan & quick hook; the fast food, than in well-crafted works of true art; the nourishing, flavorful, 7-course meal.

It's a damned shame, but I don't see it changing anytime in my life, at this point. The best the qualified composer or lyricist can hope for these days is a small cult following, cuz it's all wasted on the great unwashed masses.

#119080 by Shapeshifter
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:16 pm
I guess Sean has started sending his youtube vids directly to people now...hope I'm not on his mailing list.

(Man, I'm such a pr*ck. :lol: ).

#119098 by philbymon
Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 pm
:lol:

#119099 by jsantos
Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 pm
philbymon wrote:40 years ago, the public WAS more educated in music.

Now, we've dumbed down the education in our schools, & opened up the airwaves & live venues to the amateurs. Today's listener is more interested in the instant slogan & quick hook; the fast food, than in well-crafted works of true art; the nourishing, flavorful, 7-course meal.

^^^ Signed

Philby nailed it again!

#119115 by gbheil
Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:00 pm
I just want to ROCK !!
#119148 by neanderpaul
Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 am
RhythmMan wrote:Someone sent me an email of some group where the lead guitarist was drunk or something.
But he could still play, and to watch it, I had to sit through 5 minutes of BORING music.
The band had big video screens behind them, and were playing for a huge crowd, but I couldn't help thinking to myself, "Why would anyone pay to watch this concert?"
Oh, the guys were technically proficient and all, and the music was ok . . .
But it was BORING!
It was a slow song, and all it was was a guy doing scales on a kinda standard sounding progression.
Why even bother?
This kinda music just sounds like a personal practice for a lead player.
When would it ever end, and the actual music start?
Apparently a lot of people are really interested in simple-simple "nothing music," nowadays . . .
My question is this: have you people also found this to be true?
That is - music played really well - but waaay below your interest level?

Post the link.

#119153 by fisherman bob
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:57 am
I agree with rhythm man 100% on this and also the sad part is that a few years from now nobody will remember who this "artist" was and those real musicians who are struggling will never get a chance to get their music in front of the masses. Last night I was driving home from another fishing trip and I was listening to a local blues radio program. A few local "blues" artists were getting some airplay (I'm not going to reveal their names, I don't want to piss anybody off) and I was thinking how completely unredeeming the "music" was. Have you ever heard the expression you've got to pay your dues to play the blues? There are countless bands and artists who haven't paid any dues who are getting all the attention. It's about gimmickry pure and simple. The masses are always looking for a new fresh face. There is an "it girl" and "it guy" trend in music these days. It is truly annoying to hear rank amateurs getting airplay when great musicians can't even get a gig at a dive anywhere...

#119156 by Black57
Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 am
sanshouheil wrote:I just want to ROCK !!

George, still you hafta have the skill and talent to play well no matter what music you play. Good music should cause your blood pressure to rise a little. It should stir something deep inside.

Back to scales...I teach my students to play scales but then I explain to them why to play scales by making them create melodies from the scales. I made one student cry :oops: but I didn't care. I want my students to be creative and appreciate their own creativity because music is being dumbed down. And BTW, I have a student who is really a natural at this. She should be composing something.

#119178 by RhythmMan
Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 pm
neanderpaul, you asked me to post the link, but I deleted it. I didn't want to risk wasting another 5 minutes of my life by accidentally hearing it again.

#119183 by neanderpaul
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 pm
Some people get off on 3 chords and even a ONE NOTE solo. Some people who understand music. Some people like me for instance. Ever hear of the song "I wanna be sedated?" It's 3 chords and a 1 note solo. That song is perfection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMD7Ezp3gWc
Some people who understand music get bored with songs that have 14 chords in them. Especially if they aren't fretted enough to stop the fret buzz. Especially if they aren't in time. Sometimes when you find simplistic perfection you don't have to keep searching the chord charts for another chord to cram into your song to sate your boredom.

#119185 by philbymon
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:13 pm
True, there's a place for those types of songs, as well, but I wouldn't wanna listen to a whole concert of 'em.

That IS a cool tune, Paul.

#119186 by neanderpaul
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 pm
I loop it. 1 note solo and all! :lol:

#119190 by jimmydanger
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 pm
Ha, wink wink np.