This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#117073 by philbymon
Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am
Okay...I see a lot of those 'who's the best singer/guitarist/bass/drummer/ad nauseum' threads...but I really wanna know about the best musicians you ever worked with. No need to name names, unless you really feel you have to.

What made them the best?

Was it their adaptability to work with others, or their musicianship, or the fact that they owned the trailer you hauled everything in, or whatever...

Describe the attributes that made them the best...please...

#117076 by jimmydanger
Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Scott Asheton was the best drummer, not from his technical skills, but because he was a pro and owned the kit when he played.

I've played with a lot of good bass players, but the two that stand out are Kraigory Peccary (the bass player of The Farleys) and a guy named Steve (can't remember his last name) from the 80's. Both are technically brilliant and made the band sound like music.

The best female vocalist was Karen Bohn, a striking blonde who had a huge voice. We did Heart, The Pretenders, Pat Benatar, Blondie, etc and she could cover any of them.

The best male vocalist is Rasta Farley, not because of his singing talent, but because he is the ultimate showman. People cannot look away when we play.

I'm the best guitarist but it's a well-kept secret.

I've been very lucky.

#117078 by philbymon
Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:38 pm
Sounds like you've been very fortunate, jimmy.

The best ppl I worked with, musically, the ones I totally meshed with, just seemed to work with me effortlessly. I've had three guitarists that I blended with perfectly. Unfortunately, they were all really flaky, having too many personal problems that interfered with the music too often.

There was a truly awesome drummer I worked with for about four years. He was quite the percussionist, in fact, I'd say he was world-class. I just wish we could have gotten along better.

My present drummer is really very good, & he's always working to better himself. I think I value that more than most other attributes. He works at his craft, & keeps his equipment in tip-top shape. He's also extremely dependable, & a hell of a guy, to boot.

#117080 by jimmydanger
Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:44 pm
Actually I think most of us are very fortunate to still be doing music, considering the saying used to be "don't trust anyone over thirty". We never thought the Who or the Stones would be geriatric rockers but they're still rocking.

#117085 by fisherman bob
Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:24 pm
Kent Miller-World class harmonica player. Best player in the world IMO. A fire breathing dragon on harmonica.

Bill Miller (no relation to Kent)- Hardest working guitarist I ever played with. Always interested in rehearsal and quick get togethers to figure out a new song.

Dave McConnell- Technically the very best drummer I ever played with. He originally played with Shooting Star, a Kansas City area rock band in the 80's that almost made it big. Can't remember why they broke up. Dave used to take a huge drum solo in the middle of One Way Out (allman Brothers cover). The band would walk off the stage and go get a drink while he soloed. The guy was God on drums.

Lawrence Steele- Was easily the best blues singer I ever played with. Was also a fantastic bass player but played rhythm guitar when I played with him. I learned some of my vocal nuance from him.

Jerry Dowell- One of the best songwriters in the world (search for Jerry Dowell on-line). I mean he's the equal of Bob Dylan, Springsteen, etc. The guy is a songwriting genius, and an excellent guitarist and vocalist.

Brian McDonald- I was in a band in the early 90's that had a horn section, Brian played trumpet. He had graduated from UMKC conservatory of music. Technically he was awesome. Haven't heard about him in years, I think he went to the west coast.

#117088 by Starfish Scott
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm
The best players to me are people who don't need to be told anything at all.

I have seen very few. They play with little to no direction, know when to become softer, know when to grow louder. In essence they play while making changes because they know what they need to do to sound good and get the job at hand done.

And I keep mine secret. No need to know who they are, I know who they are.

Sorry NJ, get your own.

If you don't hear me introduce them, so sorry!!

You been here for 4 hour, you go home now! lol

#117124 by gbheil
Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 pm
Wow, this is depressing. I can see his face, hear his voice but can't recall his name other than "Joel".
Back about 1980 he would come out and jam with us. He could play any instrument I believe, and made it look natural.
Made some decent hash brownies too ... I think ... :?

#117139 by Krul
Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 pm
:arrow:
Last edited by Krul on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

#117419 by faithin
Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm
Jesus is the best, after all He created all music!
And when He is the one we put first, then we know that as each of us play we are the BEST, for Jesus doesn't do anything that isn't GOOD!

#117420 by jimmydanger
Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 pm
faithin wrote:Jesus is the best, after all He created all music!
And when He is the one we put first, then we know that as each of us play we are the BEST, for Jesus doesn't do anything that isn't GOOD!

So no one made music before Jesus was born? And how do you explain all the crappy music that exists if He created it all and doesn't do anything that isn't GOOD?

A better explanation is that all art, including music, is a distinctly human quality, and that some of it is inspired by a human's belief in a supreme being.

#117423 by KLUGMO
Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:08 pm
Well said JD.You isa gettin yer munies
werth outa that ejuekation. :D

#117426 by gbheil
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:45 pm
Jesus existed before he was " born " and he exists still this day after his "death" for fools like you and I.
The Father Son and Holy Ghost. Three in One.
Most high and almighty.
Creator of the heavens and the earth.

You cannot escape through clever words and science.
Repent and be saved or burn forever in hell.

#117435 by jimmydanger
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:12 pm
All the interesting people will be in Hell. Heaven sounds boring.

Heaven

Everyone is trying to get to the bar.
The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven.
The band in Heaven they play my favorite song.
They play it one more time, they play it all night long.

Oh heaven, heaven is a place, a place where nothing, nothing ever happens.
Heaven is a place, a place where nothing, nothing ever happens.

There is a party, everyone is there.
Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
When this party's over it will start again.
It will not be any different, it will be exactly the same.

When this kiss is over it will start again.
It will not be any different, it will be exactly
the same.
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all
could be so exciting, could be this much fun.

Oh, heaven, heaven is a place, a place where nothing, nothing ever happens.
Oh, heaven, heaven is a place, a place where nothing, nothing ever happens.

#117437 by gbheil
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 pm
:lol:

Your funny Jimmy.

A man can be fun and interesting without sucking the devils ass.

It just requires more talent. :lol:

#117439 by philbymon
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:29 pm
So who's played with JC, & what instrument does he play?

For heaven's sake, I was askin' a serious question about the qualities that make good musicians.

I wasn't askin' about your religion...some ppl just get too wrapped up in it all, I suppose...