This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#113606 by SteveJacquesRI
Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:22 pm
I won't take offense if you don't like my music, but I'm curious to hear what other musicians think of this project. The lead guitar's a bit out of tune and the vocals sound a bit flat from bad acoustics, since it was all done in my living room on a mac, but you get the idea. Opinions wanted, and thank you all who listen!

#113610 by gbheil
Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm
I like the music Steve.
Not going to go into any production related critique as it would serve only to reflect your disclaimers.
The first tune on your profile I enjoyed the most actually. It is difficult for me to listen to without my mind inserting the missing crunchy guitar at the crescendos but that's just how I would do it. No reflection on you.
I will make this little notation about production on the second song.
The left right pan was seemingly so random as to be ineffectual and basically left the whole song un listenable for me.
Perhaps if used more artfully it would serve as a beneficial effect for the song.

Thanks for posting the music. :D

#113611 by SteveJacquesRI
Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:43 pm
thank you! the first song will be done with a full band, electric guitars and all... the 2nd song will keep the acoustic vibe, but will be improved immensely for the album. I apologize for the panning, I must have uploaded the wrong version... I'll get another up there soon. My brother thought it'd be a good effect, like you, I disagreed. These songs as well as 10 more will be released on a record label I can't mention until everything is signed and on an lp entitled "Chapter 1: The Invitation" by Sleepy California

#113616 by gbheil
Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:50 pm
I could see the pan used to separate some of the lyrical content in a call / response type effect. Sometimes less is more.

Looking forward to hearing more of your music.

#113621 by Slacker G
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Steve,

I also liked the first song.

But the first thing that struck me was the lead on the acoustic intro felt a bit belabored. Rather like you were concentrating on getting it right as opposed to putting feeling into each note. Those notes lacked personality, so to speak, in my hearing. But it could just be me. :?

Then again, I read your bio first, and maybe that caused my expectations to be greater. It does happen, you know.

Better to speak softly and carry a big pick. 8)

I had the volume up on my phones so when the whole band came in it got me.

#113625 by Chippy
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:38 pm
Steve I liked both of them mate. The second one your voice is too subdued to really make a good reply but I do like the melody's you are creating.
So Soft is really nice.

#113626 by fisherman bob
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:57 pm
I played in a band for years with a Rick Jacques here in the Kansas City area. Are you related?

#113653 by Starfish Scott
Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 pm
What happened?

Bob i think that might have been him, since he has since ran away..

lol

Mayhaps there's a story here? Maybe not..

#113671 by FunkDealer
Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:36 pm
You lost me with "no druggies".

Also the first one is a ripoff of Moonlight Sonata without the wicked flow.

Your description starts about how awesome you are and you play festivals, (where many but of coarse not all, are using recreational drugs).

Then you go on to say: no drama, no druggies, no egos.

I am glad you said you will not get offended by other musicians honest opinions, because I honestly think you are a douche.

#113677 by Slacker G
Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 pm
FunkDealer wrote:You lost me with "no druggies".

Your description starts about how awesome you are and you play festivals, (where many but of coarse not all, are using recreational drugs).

I am glad you said you will not get offended by other musicians honest opinions, because I honestly think you are a douche.

Aw come on FunkDealer, quit holding back and beating around the bush. Just tell him how you really feel. :)

#113701 by SteveJacquesRI
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:31 am
fisherman bob wrote:I played in a band for years with a Rick Jacques here in the Kansas City area. Are you related?

not related.

#113702 by SteveJacquesRI
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:37 am
FunkDealer wrote:You lost me with "no druggies".

I believe what I really said was I wouldn't be offended by the opinions of my music, but obviously you're an idiot and misconstrued it all. also, I've never heard of moonlight sonata, so no, it's not a rip-off. I've listed places and accomplishments, which is not cause for saying "hey, look, i'm famous and cool" and what type of festivals are you going to? obviously Ohio, all that corn smoke's gone to your head because you are for sure, the definition of an idiot. Go smoke pot and listen to phish with all the other middle aged men still pretending they're frat boys

#113703 by SteveJacquesRI
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:45 am
thank you everyone who gave an opinion on the songs... it does mean a lot, I know the production isn't great, new recordings will be up soon.

#113734 by philbymon
Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:33 pm
Hmmm...without an avatar or a link, I can't seem to access your profile, now.

I'll bet it's this Mozilla thingie...