This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#112661 by Kenny the replicator
Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm
It`s my first post so please be gentle... :oops:

I`m a newbie to this website and forum, nice to meet all of you! I`m curious to know if any of you still believe in producing physical album versus MP3 downloads.

Don`t forget to check out my profile!

Thanks! :wink:

Kenny

www.duplium.com
905-709-9930
Thornhill, Ontario

#112677 by philbymon
Thu May 27, 2010 6:09 pm
Personally, I don't like MP3's, for the sound quality alone.

Digital's cool, if it's high quality.

Welcome to the forum.

#151254 by Whytelightning
Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 am
I'm new to forums too, so hey! I've asked myself that question too. I'm leaning towards putting out digital singles instead of bundling them in an album. Because that seems to be the way of the future. Let me put it this way, given the choice, would you buy a CD full of songs where you may not like everything on it (what if you only like 1 or 2 songs?), or would you rather just buy the songs you like? I think, for the consumer, it's a no-brainer. And, it encourages you to make every song great instead of writing filler songs just to put on a CD........which I also think will make you a better artist in the long run.

---
On the 7th day God rested. On the 8th day, He made Rock n Roll
---
#151265 by RGMixProject
Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm
Kenny the replicator wrote:It`s my first post so please be gentle... :oops:

I`m a newbie to this website and forum, nice to meet all of you!
Hello and welcome to BM
kenny the replicator wrote:I`m curious to know if any of you still believe in producing physical album versus MP3 downloads.
Only if I want to hang it on my wall. Keep your master tracks in "wav" and your final mixdown in wav, then convert to 320Kbps MP3.

kenny the replicator wrote:Don`t forget to check out my profile!

Cool but no music?

kenny the replicator wrote:Thanks! :wink:
Did you just eyeball me :oops:

Kenny

www.duplium.com
905-709-9930
Thornhill, Ontario[/quote]

#181360 by dusty37088
Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:23 am
I do both. I'm signed up with Bandcamp.com and they take care of the digital (singles and albums) for a very reasonable cut. If anyone ever wants a physical CD I'll provide it - but it'll cost more and there's shipping as well. I haven't sold a CD by mail/website in a long time. Mostly i take a few with me to gigs just in case. Hope this helps.

Dusty

#203046 by valerie39090
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 am
I think the medium for your music depends on who you want to sell it to. The younguns can do all this fancy download stuff. Us dinosaurs prefer something tangible and permanent like the CD. By the way, I am a newbee to this forum, too.

#203051 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:31 am
I do both....and sell more CDs at live shows than downloads on the website. Was doing single song downloads but stopped it because people were buying the whole album when given the choice.

I've never recorded "filler" songs though. Seems like a dumb concept.

#203060 by gbheil
Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 pm
Every show we play, every person that finds out I'm in a band asks for a CD.

That was the conclusion we came to in our band meeting.

Unanimously.

#212713 by fool on the hill
Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:24 pm
"Let me put it this way, given the choice, would you buy a CD full of songs where you may not like everything on it (what if you only like 1 or 2 songs?), or would you rather just buy the songs you like? I think, for the consumer, it's a no-brainer."

I think that speaks volumes about the quality of popular music these days than of the format by which it's distributed.

#212734 by gbheil
Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:38 pm
I think you attribute way to much thought process to the "consumer".

I also firmly believe that all avenues of resource should be utilized.

#212735 by fool on the hill
Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm
"I also firmly believe that all avenues of resource should be utilized."

Agreed!

#228437 by Boomer
Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 am
I would rather purchase a CD and then rip to .flac files.

Anyone offering .flac files on their downloads?

If space permits on the CD why not include a separate digital copy of mp3's?

Oh, just had a thought ...... have a place where people could easily download while at the show. Maybe a wifi connection with a direct connection to the music, right to their phones. For instance. While you are playing a song a message could pop up on their phones saying, 'Like this song - Download it now - click here'. (Trademarked) lol

Also ...... I believe Paranoid was a filler song that eventually became the name of the album and a huge hit. If there is integrity behind the music none of it is filler. You just never know.

Peace

#228441 by gbheil
Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm
Indeed.
We as 'artist' are quick to judge our material.
In truth, it is more important what our audience thinks.

Ask ten people at the end of a show which was their favorite tune.
You'll likely get seven different answers.

#228448 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm
Goob wrote:I would rather purchase a CD and then rip to .flac files.

Anyone offering .flac files on their downloads?

If space permits on the CD why not include a separate digital copy of mp3's?

Oh, just had a thought ...... have a place where people could easily download while at the show. Maybe a wifi connection with a direct connection to the music, right to their phones. For instance. While you are playing a song a message could pop up on their phones saying, 'Like this song - Download it now - click here'. (Trademarked) lol

Also ...... I believe Paranoid was a filler song that eventually became the name of the album and a huge hit. If there is integrity behind the music none of it is filler. You just never know.

Peace

I'm not aware of anyone offeirng FLAC files for download - because they have to be converted to another format to play in 99% of all machines (including computers).
If you include MP3s on a standard CD, then a regular CD player will not play the CD due to 'undefined data'.

The app idea for instant downloading - good one, but people would have to get the app ahead of time, and the band would have to ensure fast/secure/ample bandwidth at the show (tricky unless done in conjuntion with wireless servers).