This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#110397 by Snowberger Music
Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 am
terrible for music. Been living in the valley for 7 years now and just recently got back from a trip to Nashville to record a short EP with a friend of mine. Now that I'm back I compare every little thing to Nashville, it kind of sucks because I keep pissing off everyone I know. The attitude not just in the players but in the bars, clubs, people, etc. is just totally different in a city like Nashville where the average person still gives a damn about music, even if they weren't even musicians. I'm guessing most who live and play in the Phoenix area may know about the lack of passion people have in this city for music, it's quite depressing now that I have to compare it to a musical mecha such as nashville. I could be completely warped and wrong in my perception, but I feel it's unlikely. Anyone care to share any thoughts or perhaps other cities to check out and/or consider moving to? thanks.

First post on here too btw.
#110417 by Black57
Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 am
Tmoney64 wrote:terrible for music. Been living in the valley for 7 years now and just recently got back from a trip to Nashville to record a short EP with a friend of mine. Now that I'm back I compare every little thing to Nashville, it kind of sucks because I keep pissing off everyone I know. The attitude not just in the players but in the bars, clubs, people, etc. is just totally different in a city like Nashville where the average person still gives a damn about music, even if they weren't even musicians. I'm guessing most who live and play in the Phoenix area may know about the lack of passion people have in this city for music, it's quite depressing now that I have to compare it to a musical mecha such as nashville. I could be completely warped and wrong in my perception, but I feel it's unlikely. Anyone care to share any thoughts or perhaps other cities to check out and/or consider moving to? thanks.

I moved to CA 10 years ago and from what I have been able to observe, the music is better supported back east. I am from Ohio and music was much better back there. I don't know if it is just because it is a bigger area here...just don't know.
#110441 by Snowberger Music
Mon May 03, 2010 12:18 pm
Hmmmm....I'm taking a trip back to my home state of Pennsylvania in the fall, perhaps I'll take observations on how music is going back there, though I grew up in a farm town so probabaly will have to go to the city I'm sure.

#110487 by philbymon
Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 pm
I'm about 30 miles from PA, & 100 miles from DC. Ain't no better here. Audiences don't even applaud anymore. It's been that way for a good 10 years.

Sometimes it seems like music has just gotten old hat to many ppl, & they take it for granted.

#110528 by Dessalines
Tue May 04, 2010 1:23 pm
I'm just back from Tortola in the B.V.I.. I saw an act at an outdoor restaurant there and they were doing some really nice pop covers. If I hadn't come along and started to applaud what they were doing, there would have been only the sounds of silverware on plates between numbers. People act like music is just sonic wall paper. Really sad. And so it goes.

#110555 by Shredd6
Tue May 04, 2010 7:43 pm
You know, for the longest time Las Vegas has been a terrible local music scene. But lately, I'm being more and more surprised by the bands I'm seeing pop up here. There are a lot of creative bands starting to emerge. And crowds are showing up in bigger numbers than I can remember. It's a really cool time to be in Vegas right now. Not too far from Phoenix man.

#110738 by Snowberger Music
Thu May 06, 2010 8:20 am
Shredd6 wrote:You know, for the longest time Las Vegas has been a terrible local music scene. But lately, I'm being more and more surprised by the bands I'm seeing pop up here. There are a lot of creative bands starting to emerge. And crowds are showing up in bigger numbers than I can remember. It's a really cool time to be in Vegas right now. Not too far from Phoenix man.

You're right dude, I have heard of Vegas getting better and better. I take a trip up about once a year for the last few but I may have to get my butt up there more, maybe even to play. As far as you other guys saying people treat music like a wall paper or something that's just "going on" or something, you're totally right. I've had some long conversations with my friend in Nashville, prior to my recent trip out there, about some the of negative effects on music, or at least how people perceive it. We seem convinced that people have almost become desensitized to the charm of seeing a live band due to things like mySpace, Facebook, youtube, and the like. We may be talking out of our asses but I do feel they've had more negative effects than they've had positive effects in the world of music. Maybe some other thoughts on the subject from more experienced players who have been in the game longer than I have?
#110846 by Metal D
Fri May 07, 2010 12:41 pm
Tmoney64 wrote:Hmmmm....I'm taking a trip back to my home state of Pennsylvania in the fall, perhaps I'll take observations on how music is going back there, though I grew up in a farm town so probabaly will have to go to the city I'm sure.

Where are you from in PA? I live west of Erie a ways. Let me tell ya...from Buffalo to Erie to Pittsburgh to Cleveland...it's a musical zoo! Unless you're a technical/progressive/melodic/death metal player, then it's hard to find people good enough to keep up and stay in time. :wink:
#111085 by Snowberger Music
Mon May 10, 2010 10:37 am
Metal D wrote:
Tmoney64 wrote:Hmmmm....I'm taking a trip back to my home state of Pennsylvania in the fall, perhaps I'll take observations on how music is going back there, though I grew up in a farm town so probabaly will have to go to the city I'm sure.

Where are you from in PA? I live west of Erie a ways. Let me tell ya...from Buffalo to Erie to Pittsburgh to Cleveland...it's a musical zoo! Unless you're a technical/progressive/melodic/death metal player, then it's hard to find people good enough to keep up and stay in time. :wink:

well I'm already assuming I won't find anything musical where I'm heading to, I grew up outside of Altoona in Central PA, but I got a friend in State College that plays out with her band, so I may head up there.

#111089 by philbymon
Mon May 10, 2010 11:34 am
Didn't Live come from central PA? It can't be all bad...

#111265 by Shredd6
Tue May 11, 2010 4:52 pm
Tmoney64 wrote:
Shredd6 wrote:You know, for the longest time Las Vegas has been a terrible local music scene. But lately, I'm being more and more surprised by the bands I'm seeing pop up here. There are a lot of creative bands starting to emerge. And crowds are showing up in bigger numbers than I can remember. It's a really cool time to be in Vegas right now. Not too far from Phoenix man.

You're right dude, I have heard of Vegas getting better and better. I take a trip up about once a year for the last few but I may have to get my butt up there more, maybe even to play. As far as you other guys saying people treat music like a wall paper or something that's just "going on" or something, you're totally right. I've had some long conversations with my friend in Nashville, prior to my recent trip out there, about some the of negative effects on music, or at least how people perceive it. We seem convinced that people have almost become desensitized to the charm of seeing a live band due to things like mySpace, Facebook, youtube, and the like. We may be talking out of our asses but I do feel they've had more negative effects than they've had positive effects in the world of music. Maybe some other thoughts on the subject from more experienced players who have been in the game longer than I have?

Well.. It's my opinion, but I would say that crowds have become desensitized to certain genres. A mediocre Rock, Heavy Metal, or Metal/Screamo band can be hell on a crowd. Kids are more tolerant, but the venues that are all ages are few and far between. There seems to be more bars today than all ages places. And by the time a crowd has turned 21+, they're sick of being screamed at all night.

My personal observation caused me to decide to try something different. Even though I was fairly good at Hard-rock, it was really hard to find reliable players in that genre, and with that came mediocrity no matter how hard I personally practiced.

If you really want to enjoy a certain level of success here in Vegas or possibly Phoenix. Sidestep Rock altogether. It's too hard to find a descent singer. The bands that are cleaning house over here are either Alternative, Ska, or Reggae. You can play shows ANYWHERE with those genres. Nobody's screaming at you at ungodly decibels, and you won't find a whole lot of self indulgent 5-minute guitar solos.

Lead guitar players are a dime a dozen. So where do you find a case where it isn't?? Reggae. In a Rock or Heavy Metal setting, they're everywhere. If you're good at guitar solos, start contacting Reggae bands in your area. Whether they might be looking or not, they're starting to come around to the idea of having a pimp soloist. Reggae music has a close loyal following. They show up, and they pay for it. As a lead guitar player, you will stand out above most who are in the Hard Rock sector.

I know it sounds crazy.. It did to me too when I decided to go that route. But I happen to know that there are a lot of Hawaiians in AZ, which is mainly reggae music. It's the most loyal fan base around, and Hawaiian singers are generally REALLY good. In San Diego and Southern Cal, Reggae is big, and the genre is gaining a lot of ground here in LV, Arizona, and Utah. So imagine a mini tour. It's a tight circle where you can do weekend tours. One weekend in LV, the next in SD or beach areas where loyal local fans frequently show up.

Also, if your Reggae band starts getting known as the best (or one of the best) Reggae bands in town, you now get hooked up with the biggest national Reggae and Ska acts that come through your area. There's a band in Bakersfield that is literally the best Reggae band in town (if not the only one) and they get EVERY single national gig that comes through. Steven Marley, Eek A Mouse, Tribal Seeds, Katchafiya, you name it.. These bands sell out local venues easily. Your resume fills up fast in that case.

If you are really serious about finding some success in your area in the west, I would suggest opening your mind to a different genre. Unless you are really lucky at finding a great rock singer and competent band, you will go through this struggle for a long time. I know by being in this music scene as well as Southern California for a long time. I only wish I had come to this conclusion a long time ago. The rest of the guys in my band are in their early 20's, and we're pulling usually $400-$600 a night average. I was never able to do that with any local Hard-Core band I was in, in the past.

I still listen to Hard-Core music. I still love it. I still have my guitar heroes that I admire. But I am now putting myself in a position to set myself apart from the guys who I know are still playing that Genre. It's a better way to stand out by far, and I'm making a LOT more money.

Here are 2 bands that we played with earlier this Year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoON3jwU ... p_TZUH-4wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZOHSLo ... Ctz7CmDmU0

Hear that groove?? Crowds LOVE that steady groove. And bar owners love it when the crowd loves it. :wink:

As far as the whole youtube. facebook,myspace thing.. I'm not sure I agree with that a whole lot. Good music is just good music. If you provide it, crowds will still respond. You just have to give them a legitimate reason to get into it.

#111267 by philbymon
Tue May 11, 2010 5:10 pm
I see what you mean, Shredd. When that huippie jam band I was in expanded into doing some reaggae & latin music, our fan base grew, & our musical stylings became much more mature. I loved branching out into the new, too!

#111353 by improvgrooves
Wed May 12, 2010 3:11 pm
philbymon wrote:I see what you mean, Shredd. When that huippie jam band I was in expanded into doing some reaggae & latin music, our fan base grew, & our musical stylings became much more mature. I loved branching out into the new, too!

i'd kill for some hippies to jam with right now.. at least they aren't scared to take risks on stage. They're open to playing anything with a groove.. Why more people can't be like that I'll never know.

only thing I can find around here is a bunch of old geezers who want to play Smoke on the Water for the rest of their lives for some shitty gig pay or a bunch of kids who lack any sense of musical appreciation. f**k that.

sorry shredd i just moved from Vegas :( literally a couple months ago.

I never understood metal and screamer bands anyway.. who wants to go to a concert and get punched in the face.. thats silly.. I want to go and have my face melted.
#111917 by KJ Mac
Tue May 18, 2010 4:54 pm
Tmoney64 wrote:terrible for music. Been living in the valley for 7 years now and just recently got back from a trip to Nashville to record a short EP with a friend of mine. Now that I'm back I compare every little thing to Nashville, it kind of sucks because I keep pissing off everyone I know. The attitude not just in the players but in the bars, clubs, people, etc. is just totally different in a city like Nashville where the average person still gives a damn about music, even if they weren't even musicians. I'm guessing most who live and play in the Phoenix area may know about the lack of passion people have in this city for music, it's quite depressing now that I have to compare it to a musical mecha such as nashville. I could be completely warped and wrong in my perception, but I feel it's unlikely. Anyone care to share any thoughts or perhaps other cities to check out and/or consider moving to? thanks.

Gotta agree... I just moved back to Phx and the "musicians" (using the term loosely) really have the strangest attitude... a lot of god complexes/egomaniacs here... This last weekend I had some kid call me (he's like 19 or 20), he's never been out of the garage but yet he's telling me alllllll about music and how things operate and how the music world revolves around him... not sure if he wanted me to play guitar or mop his floors... lol, anyway, ended up telling him that I was playing pro 6 years before he was born and that if he got a really good paying McJob right now, he might make as much money in his lifetime as I did from my last ASCAP check... he hung up on me... Troubling thing is, this isn't the only one like this I've met... I'd say 9 out of 10 are just like him! Maybe I'm just not used to people talking down to me....

Anywhere I've been east of the Miss is just incredible, all through the bible belt and cow country in general live music has a real value.... I've got a friend thats been doing the same house gig in northern Montana for over 15 years.... he's rarely seen the place not packed and the people are rabid about their music... I mean when its common to get a $20 tip just for playing a request... Starting to think Az was a bad idea!

#113548 by Lord_Hearteater
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:18 am
Yep, lean times in AZ, for the most part, although many uber-retro acts are cleaning up in the retirement communities. It won't be too much longer before the classic rock breaks out of the biker bars and AJ into the trailer parks and retirement communities, some of which actually pay well, but for now, they mostly want bebop. That's OK by me. I can pla a dinnertime jazz gig with a pianist, then go across town to rock until closing with the cover band, and come home with a few Benjamins, and a decent buzz from the free drinks.