This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#108423 by Stringdancer
Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 pm
Receiving this rip off attempt made me laugh while getting a bit mad cause sadly some are fooled by these crooks.
I can't reprint my answer to Mr. Hayes I'd be banned from BB.

Hello,
I am Mr. William Alexander Hayes, Attorney to one of my client who is now late, a foreigner and an Engineer with a construction company here in UK.
The decease has an account with a Bank here, which he opened in 2003.
He died here in U.K 2004,I received a memo early last year from the

Bank remittance department for an interview about $14M USD that belongs to my client, the bank informed me on their policy to freeze the account of my client, I was asked to redirect the ($14m usd) back to government treasury because they saw no next of kin in his entire file
within the bank and his account has been dormant for years which is against the policy of the Bank.
I am contacting you because of the need to involve a foreigner as the foreign beneficiary to that fund.

I have resolved to share the money in this ratio.50% for me, 35% for you, 10% for the remittance manager in the bank who has agreed to guide us for the success of our objectives and 5% for expenses we might incur in the processing of this transaction.
I am waiting for your urgent reply.
Regards,

Mr. William Alexander Hayes

#108424 by J-HALEY
Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm
The old saying a fool and his money soon go their seperate way's comes to mind here. :)

#108429 by philbymon
Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:00 pm
no

#108431 by Paleopete
Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:15 pm
I get these all the time, different names, different situations, but same old scam. I've reported dozens of scams and spam emails, usually nothing is done. Several years ago after reporting up to 20 spam emails a day (I was getting 80 or so a day) only 2 or 3 ever bothered to reply, one was the spammer himself, insulting me. I finally got his account shut down, but only after 3 or 4 months of haggling with Pacbell.

You can look up full headers and report it to the originating ISP, but chances are it came from a mail relay and you can't find out the real originating IP address. They send it to the relay, they send it again and the originating IP address is nowhere in the headers, the relay is not responsible or the content. And it's usually somewhere in Asia...where they have no reciprocal agreements with the US, so nothing can be done.

the one I got a week ago or so wanted name, address, phone, email and bank account number...to "expedite this transaction faster"...

Yeah right...and I'm Tinkerbell's grandmother too...

#108468 by gtZip
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Paleopete wrote:Yeah right...and I'm Tinkerbell's grandmother too...

I always thought you looked familiar

#108509 by gbheil
Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 pm
I have reported some of those to the FBI.

I just wave out the window to have them come up out of my bushes. :lol:

#108527 by TheCaptain
Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 am
I actually baited one of these guys on...
Sent several e-mails back & forth , and made up a fantastic story about when & where to meet , etc(all using an alternative address)

Probably wasn't smart maybe, but kinda fun...

:roll:

#108531 by Black57
Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 am
celticpiping wrote:I actually baited one of these guys on...
Sent several e-mails back & forth , and made up a fantastic story about when & where to meet , etc(all using an alternative address)

Probably wasn't smart maybe, but kinda fun...

:roll:

I've been tempted to do this. But I wanted to make up some crazy story like " FInally you found me. I am the sister of King Henry of Liverpoolmyass. Send the money in the form of a money order because it is imperative that I not reveal my bank account. Anyone connected to me runs the risk of being killed by the NWA ( N!gg@rs With Attitude ). So...you better watch your back. But hey! Nice meeting you.

You know there are a lot of people who are taken by these stupid emails. A school nurse, who I work with, and her husband are examples of this.

#108554 by Slacker G
Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 pm
I'm still waiting for my half of the loot.

#108557 by gbheil
Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:08 pm
I've been tempted to do this. But I wanted to make up some crazy story like " FInally you found me. I am the sister of King Henry of Liverpoolmyass. Send the money in the form of a money order because it is imperative that I not reveal my bank account. Anyone connected to me runs the risk of being killed by the NWA ( N!gg@rs With Attitude ). So...you better watch your back. But hey! Nice meeting you.

You know there are a lot of people who are taken by these stupid emails. A school nurse, who I work with, and her husband are examples of this.[/quote]

NWA ?? Mary you are so funny !! :lol: Your killin me. :lol:

#108606 by Starfish Scott
Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm
NWA sux.. ecchhh

Please send Flava Flav instead.. lol

#108678 by Black57
Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:53 am
Capt. Scott wrote:NWA sux..

You don't think I would threaten them with quality N wordss do you?

#108679 by Black57
Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 am
sanshouheil wrote:I've been tempted to do this. But I wanted to make up some crazy story like " FInally you found me. I am the sister of King Henry of Liverpoolmyass. Send the money in the form of a money order because it is imperative that I not reveal my bank account. Anyone connected to me runs the risk of being killed by the NWA ( N!gg@rs With Attitude ). So...you better watch your back. But hey! Nice meeting you.

You know there are a lot of people who are taken by these stupid emails. A school nurse, who I work with, and her husband are examples of this.

NWA ?? Mary you are so funny !! :lol: Your killin me. :lol:[/quote]

I cracked me up, too :lol: I almost didn't post it, then I thought WTH. :wink:
#108681 by Will_72908
Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 am
Nav4c wrote:Receiving this rip off attempt made me laugh while getting a bit mad cause sadly some are fooled by these crooks.
I can't reprint my answer to Mr. Hayes I'd be banned from BB.

Hello,
I am Mr. William Alexander Hayes, Attorney to
I have resolved to share the money in this ratio.50% for me, 35% for you, 10% for the remittance manager in the bank who has agreed to guide us for the success of our objectives and 5% for expenses we might incur in the processing of this transaction.
I am waiting for your urgent reply.
Regards,

Mr. William Alexander Hayes

Snopes.com has tons of these scams listed, including the lottery ones. Their main idea, get the fool talking, and sneak important data out and send 'em to the cleaners. The meanest words, are still just words, when it comes to the con-artists involved.

You might get lucky with full headers, but more than likely a spoofed IP address and e-mail address may be involved too or an infected computer (on some scams anyway)

#108695 by Paleopete
Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm
You might get lucky with full headers, but more than likely a spoofed IP address and e-mail address may be involved too or an infected computer (on some scams anyway)

My point exactly. Mail relays do the trick, once it hits the relay, no way to find out the original IP address.

NEVER answer any of these. The only thing you do is let them know they found a "live" email address. Ditto for spam emails. that's the only purpose for the "unsubscribe" link in many spam emails. They may actually remove you from their list, but they sell the recently unsubscribed list to any other spammers that want it. So you get removed from one list and added to five more...Someone has to click that unsubscribe link, once you do, they know it's a good email address.

Read some privacy policies. Most say they don't give out your info, then they go on to say they might "share" their info with partners/business associates etc. What's the first thing these associates look at? The recently unsubscribed database. Those are known good email addresses. So the principal spammer may have to remove you from their list, (many actually don't) but several of their "business associates" are bound by no such agreement with you, and now have your email address to send lots more spam to. And they know you're seeing it since you clicked an unsubscribe link last week...

One other thing. Have everyone on your email list start forwarding emails using BCC only. (Blind Carbon Copy) Every time you forward an email, the recipients see every email address it goes to. Unless you use BCC, then it shows none of them. All you have to do is forward that cool joke to the wrong person and he's selling email addresses. Or 3 forwards down the line someone gets all 400 email addresses listed in all those "Forward to" lists...PLEASE use BCC...it helps cut down spam tremendously. That forward to list is just begging to be grabbed by the wrong person...