This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#87301 by ryckykay86
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:14 pm
i HATE emo music lol. and i love it when they call it punk...punk ended in the 70s. i love when they call it rock n roll, lol um no rock n roll i would say takes more skill and a better understanding of your instrument and should be at least mildly blues based. basically if all u can play is a clutch/power chord or diminished 5th then one ur not very good and two u have a home in the emo genre whining into the mic about how ur parents never loved u because they were always off makin 6 figures but they bought u this guitar and u can kind of play it a little bit. sounds like the premise for a new chart topping hit. i also hate the way they sing, they either scream inaudibly into the mic, which accounts for the short life span of most professional emo singers due to the fact they ruin their vocal chords, or they whine. and i dont mean billie from green day(when they were good) whine i mean like the annoying soft sissy whining u used to hear when u smashed ur 4 yr old sisters sand castle at the beach. unfortunately music is so subjective its hard to argue so this is merely my opinion. but for the life of me i cant understand y anyone likes this crap. maybe its because kids these days(i hate saying that lol) grew up with it and its all they know. i got lucky, not as lucky as i could have been i couldve grown up in the 60s/70s, but i had bands like pearl jam, soundgarden, stp, rage, nirvana, etc and a padre who introduced me to gods gift to music, the beatles, at birth. im just ready for emo to die and no one ever utters its name again. i wish we could make it illegal and punishable by life in prison without the possibility of parole. that would be nice. sorry for the rant. :twisted:

#87304 by philbymon
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:26 pm
Uh...gee, rycky...why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

I like some emo, if emo = "emotional." That covers such topics as love songs, which everyone does at one time or another. It also covers songs of frustration & anger & hate & sadness & happiness &...um...what else would ppl sing about?

Perhaps I misunderstand the genre...

Anyway...get ahold of your emo's dude! It isn't all that much to get upset about. One man's floor is another man's ceiling, & all that...

#87306 by ryckykay86
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm
lol no i dont mean actual emotions because like u said thats going to make up about 75% of anyones songs. let me rephrase it....the crap on the radio these days. ive never understood the name emo for the genre but thats what they seem to call it. im talkin about the simple plans, the good charlottes, the afi...all of which i hate like they had spit on my mother. lol i dont really understand y i hate them so much beyond the obvious reasons, im generally a peace love and happiness kind of guy myself

#87308 by philbymon
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm
See, I thought the genre also included such acts as Toad The Wet Sprocket & Dashboard Confessional, both of whom have some material that I quite like...but again, I could be confused.

Nice rant, though!

#87311 by Chippy
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:45 pm
Never heard of it until now. I know some of the names from bands who have played it though. I dunno summat nice about music that makes you wanna go through a pub ripping up chairs and smashing bottle. :D

Seriously though I cannot say I hate any style because there is always a track or two that get to me. :wink: I was one of the fortunate ones to have grown up with the real punks and seen a fair few of them live too. Your newish import isn't so far removed from those days really, its just they are a little too gentle with it IMHO

#87312 by ryckykay86
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:46 pm
haha well thank you, i appreciate a good rant every now and again. i enjoy me some dashboard, craaazy tuning.
#87374 by yanidy
Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 am
ryckykay86 wrote:i HATE emo music lol. and i love it when they call it punk...punk ended in the 70s. i love when they call it rock n roll, lol um no rock n roll i would say takes more skill and a better understanding of your instrument and should be at least mildly blues based. basically if all u can play is a clutch/power chord or diminished 5th then one ur not very good and two u have a home in the emo genre whining into the mic about how ur parents never loved u because they were always off makin 6 figures but they bought u this guitar and u can kind of play it a little bit. sounds like the premise for a new chart topping hit. i also hate the way they sing, they either scream inaudibly into the mic, which accounts for the short life span of most professional emo singers due to the fact they ruin their vocal chords, or they whine. and i dont mean billie from green day(when they were good) whine i mean like the annoying soft sissy whining u used to hear when u smashed ur 4 yr old sisters sand castle at the beach. unfortunately music is so subjective its hard to argue so this is merely my opinion. but for the life of me i cant understand y anyone likes this crap. maybe its because kids these days(i hate saying that lol) grew up with it and its all they know. i got lucky, not as lucky as i could have been i couldve grown up in the 60s/70s, but i had bands like pearl jam, soundgarden, stp, rage, nirvana, etc and a padre who introduced me to gods gift to music, the beatles, at birth. im just ready for emo to die and no one ever utters its name again. i wish we could make it illegal and punishable by life in prison without the possibility of parole. that would be nice. sorry for the rant. :twisted:
I've been in bands since 1993 but i've never fully underst00d the definition of emo music.

Like you i dig beatles, stp, alice in chaines [yes!] & most grunge & heavy metal.

#87387 by ryckykay86
Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm
to me tho punk music was fueled by a certain mentality. a mentality not shared with those who try to label themselves punk. you shouldnt need to label yourself, i dont remember ever reading about someone like the sex pistols running around sayin "were a punk band" ya kno. as far as emo lol i personally define it as anything that sucks. as ive mentioned afi, simple plan, and good charlotte are my best examples of this. please please go listen to afi for example and tell me it's not trash...lol cuz i wont believe u. which ill admit is both selfish and biased of me but i just cant help it. hahaha i hate it and it schtanks. id rather rather watch a contemporary dance scene played out to a george w. bush speech than listen to that crizap.

#87884 by Gi
Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:40 am
i dont understand "emo" either. ive heard the term for years and at first thought it was a branch of goth, because the guys in 'emo' wore mascara sh*t.

i think its bands like Death Cab for Cutie, and the Fray. i dont know, though.

like any genre, there is emo i like and dont. i like the Bravery and the Fray, if they indeed are 'emo'.

but...if THEY are, then wouldnt Third Eye BLind be, too? i hate that band but their first album became a part of the fabric of my life back in '97.

#87897 by jimmydanger
Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm
I don't think The Bravery can be considered emo. They're just modern rock as far as I'm concerned. Most classification systems are flawed.

#88001 by Ryan_Strain
Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:46 am
I'm not a fan of "Emo music" either...But why complain about it?

How does that genre existing affect your life? Live and let live.

Making a thread about how much you hate something is just pointless, and makes you look like a dumbass...Just saying...

#88438 by ryckykay86
Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:17 pm
[quote="Ryan_Strain"]I'm not a fan of "Emo music" either...But why complain about it?

How does that genre existing affect your life? Live and let live.

Making a thread about how much you hate something is just pointless, and makes you look like a dumbass...Just saying...[/quo

lol a dumbass huh. i can complain about anything i want to, its one of the many joys we have as americans. this just happened to be the medium in which i chose to vent. if you have such a problem with it then why respond, why even open the thread in the first place? i dont like hearing garbage and seeing it be followed by the masses to the point where the excellent musicians and music of the past are almost completely forgotten. they play pearl jam on a freakin classic rock station for christ sake. i fear rock and roll is an endangered species because this crap is certainly a far cry from it and it spread faster than H1N1. we should list this a pandemic and put the country into a state of emergency. if god exists i ask for one thing, to please save music. because its getting to the point were the only music i can stomach listening to is my own. and thats not very benificial to the creative process. its good to have a constantly revolving door of outside influences. which currently ceases to exist for me due mainly in part to this genre...and hannah montana...that b*tch. haha j/k.

#88442 by CraigMaxim
Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:17 pm
Ryan_Strain wrote:
Making a thread about how much you hate something is just pointless, and makes you look like a dumbass...Just saying...

Now Ryan,

There you go again.

If we combed back through all YOUR postings, you know very well, we will discover TONS of rantings from you. Calling Miley Cyrus a whore, for example, because she dances and wears skirts, and all the while you maintain a very fundamentalist Christian perspective HERE, and yet you do screamo music and try and look as evil and satanic as possible, and you even scream lyrics which are ANTITHETICAL to your own stated beliefs.

When someone on YouTube pointed out, that in one of your videos, they couldn't understand the words you were screaming, when usually they could... you stated that the songs lyrics were against your beliefs, so you didn't really want them to be understood. But those who know that song, KNOW what the words are. And you are still shouting those words, and these fans that DO believe those words are rocking with you, and you may as well be cheering them on, and pumping them up.

For sure, you are hiding behind a facade, trying to live with each foot, in two different worlds. That is highly dishonest. Yet you always seem to judge others for so many things, and often BEGIN with insults, before even saying "Hello, good to meet you".

You need to do some soul searching.

You seem to be judging in others, what you yourself are guilty of.

You claim to be a Christian Ryan. You are associating yourself with Jesus Christ, maintaining yourself to be a FOLLOWER of his teachings.

My question to you is...

What does that mean to you?

In other words... what do you consider His CENTRAL or PRIMARY message? What traits did Jesus teach or espouse that YOU consider most essential and important to try and follow or emulate?

What should someone see in you, to realize that you are a follower of Jesus Christ?

Or do you think that there is no trait or qualities that would associate someone with Jesus message? That anyone can live any way they choose, no one the wiser, and right after death, to the surprise of everyone, you pull out a "get out of hell free" card, and are whisked into the sinless perfection of Heaven, with angels playing music and the saints and martyrs of God, clapping for you, as confetti falls from the sky?

#88446 by Ryan_Strain
Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm
I never started a thread about something I hate. I just build on threads that already exist. And I called Miley Cyrus a whore, cause at 15 years old, she was dating a 20 year old underwear model.

And the style of music I perform is Metal. Death Metal to be exact. And I do my covers to show my different vocal styles and abilities, not to make a statement with lyrics. I choose my songs because they have challenging vocals, not because of their message.

When I'm in a full band, I won't be writing lyrics that match the songs I listen to now.

I was simply saying that starting thread that says, "OMG I HATE EMO MUSIC IT SUCKS AND I WANT IT TO DIE CAUSE I NO HAPPYYY" makes you look like a retard. I understand freedom of speech, but some people need KNOWLEDGE of speech, and some opinions need to be kept to yourself.

#88450 by ryckykay86
Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:58 pm
Ryan_Strain wrote:I never started a thread about something I hate. I just build on threads that already exist. And I called Miley Cyrus a whore, cause at 15 years old, she was dating a 20 year old underwear model.

And the style of music I perform is Metal. Death Metal to be exact. And I do my covers to show my different vocal styles and abilities, not to make a statement with lyrics. I choose my songs because they have challenging vocals, not because of their message.

When I'm in a full band, I won't be writing lyrics that match the songs I listen to now.

I was simply saying that starting thread that says, "OMG I HATE EMO MUSIC IT SUCKS AND I WANT IT TO DIE CAUSE I NO HAPPYYY" makes you look like a retard. I understand freedom of speech, but some people need KNOWLEDGE of speech, and some opinions need to be kept to yourself.

lol knowledge of speech doesnt really make any sense. that would be more understanding how speech works as opposed to an opinion. by challenging vocals do u mean screaming inaudibly? i hope when youre in a full band you choose to go the meaningful route with your lyrics. we can leave the nonsense to rap music. :shock: opinions in this country will never be silenced, your only options are to take it as it is or offer another side to the debate instead of attempting to slander the individual whose opinion you think they shouldnt vocalize. and i didnt know u said anything about miley cyrus. haha yea thats a whore, how does her mullet wearing father let that slide. i like how parents are crucified these days for pictures of their children in the bathtub, which every parent has, and then these ppl get away with this simply because they have the name and the money. and why would a 20 yr old have anything to do with a 15 yr old. i have a buddy whose 23 and hes been seeing a 15 yr old. i have since disowned him in an attempt to show him the absurdity of the situation hes put himself in. 15=25. is that worth it? but i have digressed, i would prefer not to go back and forth name calling but more so debate my stance on this particular genre of music. i understand everyone has preferences my main goal with this was to see if anyone has such a distaste for this music as i do. i got in a fist fight once when someone, in an emo band mind you, swore by kiss being a greater band in every facet than the beatles. i wouldve let the idiot slide but he proceeded with "and john lennon deserved to be shot for making such horrible music." and he subsequesntly ate pavement. ahaha then his band kicked him out for being a terrible musician anyway. that brings me back to a big problem i have with this. these ppl seem to forget their roots and do not appreciate the great music, or how its progressed, this century, or last rather....rant over. au revoir