This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#84494 by bundydude
Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm
Can anyone list a band or bands that contributed to the history of metal and may have not been recognized or were'nt considered metal, even though, they helped the cause.

Off of the top of my head, I came up with a few...Will post more as I think of them.

1). Bachman/Turner Overdrive
2). Budgie
3). Thin Lizzy
4). Blue Cheer
5). UFO

#84499 by gbheil
Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 pm
Frederic Chopin.
#84509 by HowlinJ
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:36 pm
bundydude wrote:Can anyone list a band or bands that contributed to the history of metal and may have not been recognized or were'nt considered metal, even though, they helped the cause.

Off of the top of my head, I came up with a few...Will post more as I think of them.

1). Bachman/Turner Overdrive
2). Budgie
3). Thin Lizzy
4). Blue Cheer
5). UFO

#4 has always been my idea of primordial metal! The Cheer rocked!

(I still dust off my scratchy, but cherished ol Vincebus Eruptum vinyl platter from time to time, and it's still a rush to listen to!(at full volume, of course)

You should also add Slade to the list, however.

HJ

#84513 by bundydude
Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 am
There is no doubt that Slade should be on the list. Also, I came up with, Blue Oyster Cult and Montrose. Any others...anyone?

#84516 by bundydude
Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:51 am
sanshouheil said;
Frederic Chopin.

I agree...In that case, we need to add almost every classical artist.

#84522 by gbheil
Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Yep, those boys rocked for their time in history. 8)

#84553 by philbymon
Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:51 am
The Cherry People

Paganini

Steppenwolf (fits as well as BOC. Besides, they coined the phrase "heavy metal thunder!)

#84626 by HowlinJ
Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm
philbymon wrote:

Steppenwolf (fits as well as BOC. Besides, they coined the phrase "heavy metal thunder!)

Based on the phrase "Heavy Metal", I guess we should add "Hapshash and the Colored Coat Featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids"

Coolist name of any band in the 60's! :) (to bad their music sucked :evil: )

Howlin'

#84719 by bundydude
Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:06 pm
Steppenwolf...definitely. How about; Iron Butterfly. Also, I was thinking bands like; MC5 abd the Stooges, while their music seems to have had a bigger impact on punk, then metal, their brand of loud agressive garage/indie rock contributed to metals evolution.
Last edited by bundydude on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

#84721 by RGMixProject
Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:27 pm
I always thought that King Crimson, with their power-cord based technical distorted music was the grandfathers of the fathers "Deep Purple and Black Sabbath" for Heavy metal. IMO

#84722 by ColorsFade
Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:33 pm
RGMixProject wrote:I always thought that King Crimson, with their power-cord based technical distorted music was the grandfathers of the fathers "Deep Purple and Black Sabbath" for Heavy metal. IMO

I've read so many people over the years referencing King Crimson as influences, especially in prog circles.

They've got a wide influence.

I just can't figure out why.

#84724 by HowlinJ
Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:54 pm
Hell, if guitars played hard and vocals with high energy are the criteria for bands that could have been the prelude to metal, we might just as well include,

The Yardbirds
The Kinks
The Who
Grand Funk Railroad
Creem
The Jimi Hendrix Experience,
Led Zepplin

probably even
The Doors
Deep Purple
late 60's Alice Cooper ( Glen Buxton and company LOOKED Heavy Metal)
Vanella Fudge
Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes
ect. ect.

#84738 by gbheil
Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 pm
Yes, GFR.

Ice cold water, running .... through my vains........

#84759 by bundydude
Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:19 am
HowlinJ wrote:Hell, if guitars played hard and vocals with high energy are the criteria for bands that could have been the prelude to metal, we might just as well include,

The Yardbirds
The Kinks
The Who
Grand Funk Railroad
Creem
The Jimi Hendrix Experience,
Led Zepplin

probably even
The Doors
Deep Purple
late 60's Alice Cooper ( Glen Buxton and company LOOKED Heavy Metal)
Vanella Fudge
Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes
ect. ect.

Lets face it, lots of bands helped to create what metal was to become...

Uriah Heep
KISS
Scorpions
AC/DC
Rainbow
Lucifers Friend
New York Dolls
T.Rex
Nazareth
April Wine
Status Quo

So, I guess, if we really wanted to stretch the bounds, then there are tons of bands we could add.

#84767 by Ryan_Strain
Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:18 am
Mozart