This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#77852 by philbymon
Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:48 am
I watched an old Heath Ledger flick called "A Knight's Tale," or something like that. It opened with a lil English midieval village getting ready to watch a jousting tournament. The entire village was doing the "boom boom CLAP," which of course devolved into Queen's "We Are The Champions." A little later in the song, some of the actors were actually mouthing the words! Nearly all the music in this flick was rock, & it was just so out of place that it detracted from the story, rather than enhance it.

To me there's nothing much odder than an historical movie with modern rock playing over it. I've seen this done with cowboy flicks, too. (In "Young Guns," Emilio Estevez actually hollers out "Let's ROCK," at some point in the flick, as he rushes out into a gunfight! BLEAGH!!!)

I dunno who makes these stupid decisions - the director, producer, script writer, whatever - but it shows a naivety & lack of sense that just irks the hell outta me.

#77898 by gbheil
Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:38 pm
Generaly I would agree Phil. I am one of those guys who sees a Colt Model 1873 "Peacemaker" in a Civil War film, or a Patton tank (M60) in a WWII flick and the historical inaccuracy just pisses me off . I recently saw a very serious History Channel episode about the Battle of Gettysburg. I was totally ingrossed untill during the graphic depiction of the battle, I could distinctly see Frizzen on the Muskets. (Flintlocks were fazed out of the arsenal long before the Civil War)
I however enjoy A Knight's Tale as I see it more of a silly fairy tale flick not unlike Shreck.
The Rock music was a shock at first, but I got into it.

#77904 by philbymon
Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:30 pm
Eh, for me, if the soundtrack is so bad that it's reminding me that I'm watching a movie, it's detracting from it. Huge mistake for a film.

Great ones, like Amadeus, really draw you in (what other music could they have used for that one, though?) but bad ones like this push you out of the movie, somehow.

While I'll admit that many ppl today just won't relate to the music pf the period of "A Knight's Tale," the folk dancing turned jiggy to the fade in of David Bowie's "Golden Years" is just too far away from the storyline, & ruins the entire experience, as one can no longer relate to the period.

Dunno if I'm explaining it well, but you'll have this sometimes when I'm talking beyond my ability to communicate....
:oops:

#77932 by HowlinJ
Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 am
I believe that I know what your saying, Phil.

I thing that some of the best music produced in the last couple of decades were composed for movie soundtracks.

In fact, I'm having a hard time trying to remember a worst one. When you do hear one, I suppose it would stand out.

HJ

#77978 by gbheil
Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:13 pm
I know exactly what your saying Phil. Had they done that to...well lets say KING ARTHUR. I,d be all over that one like white on rice.

The flip side would be like the track on LAST OF THE MOHEICANS
The version with Daniel Day Lewis.

That one made me want to run through the woods myself. :wink:

#78675 by philbymon
Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:09 pm
I watched an old Frank Sinatra flick the other day - "Tony Rome." I think that '60's private eye movies have some of the worst music ever, too! And for Sinatra to be in a movie with such horrid music troubles me in new & different ways...I'm kinda grumpy...I think I got cramps...OMG I'm MENSTRUAL!!!

#78897 by ColorsFade
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:43 pm
Normally, I'd agree Phil.

But with "A Knight's Tale", that was done intentionally, for the specific effect. It wasn't supposed to be a serious film. I thought the soundtrack did exactly what it was supposed to do and it added to my enjoyment of the film.

As for worst film soundtracks/scores... I know I've heard some that just made me want to curl up and die, and I tend to forget them really fast. The good ones leave an impression.

Most of the time, anything that Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer are attached to... the scores suck. They're too over-the-top (just like Bay's horrendous directorial style) and have no sense of purpose to the scene. Like the score for "Armageddon"... made me barf.

#78946 by HowlinJ
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 am
That movie Ed Wood was a lousy movie about lousy movies. :evil:

however

I love the sound track. Lots of bongos and cheesy theremin! :)
#93572 by Robert_Hatfield
Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:18 pm
I think very few soundtracks are GOOD. The worst? Probably any one from a rock biopic that features SOMEBODY ELSE singing the subject's music.

Other than the Tarantino soundtracks, it's hard to consider soundtracks good when judged by the same standards as traditional ALBUMS.

In my humble opinion, the best ones document their respective eras well (and usually were huge sellers at the time) -- things like "Saturday Night Fever" "Grease" "Footloose" and "Top Gun".

Laugh all you want. They are of their era.

#93591 by gbheil
Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 pm
The title of this thread is Worst movie soundtracks.
And by golly I think you've nailed it. LOL

#94108 by amymarissa
Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 pm
I can't really think of any horrible soundtracks right now, but there are terrible movies that ruin good music. Like Twilight and New Moon. Great bands like Muse, Paramore, Collective Soul, and Death Cab For Cutie are now associated with scary fangirls who only like those bands because of the movies. And also, the Transformer movies. Decent soundtracks, but the lamest and most plot less movies ever.
#97205 by Jimmy Kennan
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:09 am
I can't believe no one's mentioned the bane of 1982's cinematic releases: "GREASE 2"! I mean...ewwwww! Maxwell Caulfield's voice is so bad that they literally drown it in reverb. lol

#102181 by The Unlight
Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 am
EASILY, Queen Of The Damned, Definitely needed some heavier stuff, I mean Korn for a Vampire? needed something a lot more Death Metalish.

#102612 by Bronze_Ookpik
Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 am
Re: the first message, "A Knight's Tale" is a comedy completely based on what English profs would call "anachronisms"—things that didn't exist in the setting of the story. The soundtrack, like so much of the rest of the humor in the film, is purposely selcted to not fit in with the timeset.

#104086 by benjammin106
Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:36 am
I would say Armaggeddon. I hate that aerosmith song with a passion. Its like marks the exact time they stopped being good.