This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#74500 by bpstyle68
Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:04 pm
OK, here I am again, feelin like a total Noob. This change over to all analog is really making me feel like a new guitar player, lol. (although I love the experience, creative ability, and freedom this setup gives me!) Anyway, once again, I come to the masters seeking advice.
I've created a certain tone on my DigiTech RP250 that I really enjoy using for leads. It really cuts through the mix and I've gotten a lot of compliments on this tone. But now that I'm ditching the DigiTech when I play out, I'm looking to recreate this tone with my stompboxes....hopefully....
Here is a screenshot of the tone & its settings from my digitech:

This tone can be heard in some of the song covers I posted on my page (so you could hear the tone).

How can I recreate this tone using stompboxes? Right now I have the follwoing:
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD7 Wah Pedal, BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter, BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus, BOSS DS-1 Distortion, BOSS BF-3 Flanger. I also use the delay effect loop on my head at times until I can get the delay stompbox.

Someone advised that a boost would help, but I'm not seeing that at all. I'm totally lost and feel like a fool. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#74503 by gbheil
Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:25 pm
Unless I missed it totally you make no reference to an amp other that the word head.
And unless I am totally remiss on this point too, anaolg tone is quite dependant on the amp / tubes involved.
Dont get me wrong I am no production pro, and constantly experimenting with my own gear.
I dont understand if you had the sound you liked, why change?
I moved away from SS amps and stomp boxes because I was not happy with the shallow tones and spent the last year playing through nothing but my Nomad, just to become familliar with the neuance of a tube amp.
What the hell were we talking about now? :oops:
Oh yea, If you were pleased with this tone to the point of wanting to copy it exactly, why change??

#74504 by bpstyle68
Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:37 pm
Hey thanks for the reply! I DID forget to mention I'm playing through a very basic Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack. I apologize for leaving that out.
The reason for ditching the DigiTech and going analog: I'm a little tired of the whole effects modeling. Every guitar sounds exactly same. You dont get the little nuances from guitar to guitar. Also, in a live situation, its a pain to have to rearrange and reorder all the presets depending on the setlists. Also, I'm tired of having to be VERY careful where I step. The Digitech's pedals are VERY close together and its EXTREMELY easy to accidently stomp of BOTH pedals causing the bypass to function (which sucks), or you mean to hit the right pedal to cycle right but you end up hitting the left and get a tone you really werent trying for, OR step just a TAD too far to the right and you cut your volume off completely.
Additionally, I really did enjoy the versatility of the DigiTech when I was playing in a cover band. It allowed me to recreate various tones that fit well with the different songs we played. I could go from a killer Avenged Sevenfold tone to a Ted Nugent sound with ease. But for this new project, I really dont need all that, plus the hassle that comes with the digitech in a performance setting.
Really, the only tone I want to keep from it is the lead one I'm speaking of. The rest of the tones arent all that great and can be created in a much better (truer) and easier way with my new setup. I just really dig that tone and want to capture it again.
Sorry for the long post, and if I am annoying anyone......thanks again for all of your help!!

#74510 by ColorsFade
Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 pm
If I were you, I wouldn't even try to recreate your old Digitech Lead tone.

You've got a Marshall now (for better or for worse). I'd try and create the best lead tone you can with that. Start from scratch.

#74512 by gbheil
Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 pm
Ah yes, now I see. No problem dude this kind a thing is what the Forum does best.
Although I cant really be of any help as far as recovering a specific tone you liked,,,I got to say I'm with ColorsFade on this. Find the great tone your amp is capable of and work from there. After all its a new project right?
I have been hearing some good stuff on line as far as tone from the MG.
Surely you can work something out with that amp.

#74521 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:21 am
Forgive me I'm just a dumbass bass player but it sure makes life easier to find a few hot lead tones in one amp and not worry about recreating something that may not be recreatable (new word for Funk & Wagnalls?). I've been in bands for years and unless you're a wizzard and can change tones with ease it makes it VERY HARD to gig with you. Keep it simple stupid and you'll be far better off in the long run.

#74535 by ratsass
Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:48 am
Get an A/B box and use the Digitech just for that one lead sound and back to your analog pedals for everything else.

#74536 by bpstyle68
Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:52 am
Wait, I didnt think I cold do that. When i use the footswitch pedal that came with the amp combo, im unable to use my digitech. perhaps I am connecting things in the wrong way? is it possible to use the footswitch AND the digitech?

#74554 by gbheil
Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm
Yes, think of it like routing water.
The A/B box Rat refers to routes your guitar signal "A" to your DT and to the PA (if thats the way your set up)
"B" routes your signal to your amp.
If routing both to your amp you would need to be on the opposite channel from your "other" tone. "A" to channel 1 : "B" to channel 2
Dang, did that make any sense at all?

#74571 by ColorsFade
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:16 pm
You can use the digitech directly with your amp. You can run the whole thing in series and just use the Digitech as an effects unit, or you can use the amp modeling with your natural amp's distortion to create entire soundgardens of tone.

It's entirely up to you.

#74595 by ratsass
Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 pm
I was thinking more like using a splitter to split your guitar send, running into the Digitech with one and your analog pedals with the other and then into the A/B box with both and out of that into your amp. That way, you wouldn't have to turn off all your analog pedals to use the Digitech.

#74597 by Chippy
Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 pm
I'm having a similar problem with keys/Horns and so on. the only thing I can suggest is run through the whole lot and save tracks. I'm sure you'll get pretty or damned near what you are looking for since this is VST.

Question.....................

What artist most closely resembles the sound you are looking for? This might help?

Chippy.

#74599 by gbheil
Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:46 pm
LOL, if he's not confused now he never will be.
There areso many ways of setting up all the stuff we use.
I guess thats why experimentation is king.

#74603 by Chippy
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:02 pm
You are right Sans.... Sorry :(
I think the this might nail it right?

What artist most closely resembles the sound you are looking for? This might help?

#74605 by gbheil
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:05 pm
Cant hurt. :wink: