This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#97224 by KeepDayJob
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:26 am
I've been playing around with Audacity and would like to use the PA to do multitrack recording ie: mic the drums, record the track through the PA onto the computer, then record the rhythm track through the PA onto the computer, etc. - problem is it's tough to get a PC with a LINE IN input - all have MIC IN but the impedence is wrong for pulling the mix in off the board and there's a tremendous amt of noise/buzz.

The sound card on my Windows XP machine is on the mother board, which means it's lame for recording. I don't have a problem installing a separate PCI sound card but not sure which to get. Seems that they're all geared for gaming, with Dolby 5.1 or 7.1. All I really need is one that will simply have LINE IN. Anyone have suggestions or ideas that worked?

I'm thinking this might work...
http://www.buy.com/prod/creative-sound- ... 94364.html

#97240 by RGMixProject
Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 pm
If you buy a PCI sound card you will need this Ground Loop Isolator from Radoshack

Or buy a USB mixer like a Alesis Multimix 8

#97243 by KeepDayJob
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 pm
Thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance, but what will the Radio Shack thing accomplish? Ground loop - isn't that the extra wire that used to come out of turntables to eliminate hum? Is this a noise suppressor?

#97247 by RGMixProject
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:21 pm
KeepDayJob wrote:Thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance, but what will the Radio Shack thing accomplish? Ground loop - isn't that the extra wire that used to come out of turntables to eliminate hum? Is this a noise suppressor?

Yes and it will lift the ground and get rid of your buzz.
"well...... 9 times out of 10 it will"

#97251 by mistermikev
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 pm
i WOULD DEF NOT GO SOUNDBLASTER

they are great for gaming... but not so good with audio software (IME).

for the sm money you can get a good maudio card that will be fine for gaming and will rock for recording.

I don't know why you'd need a ground loop... although it's certainly not a bad idea... I've had a pci card for years I don't get noise out of it but I'm using a mackie vlz pro, high quality cable and such, and a sound card that was made for recording (ie low signal to noise ratio).

#97259 by RGMixProject
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:31 pm
mistermikev wrote:i WOULD DEF NOT GO SOUNDBLASTER

they are great for gaming... but not so good with audio software (IME).

for the sm money you can get a good maudio card that will be fine for gaming and will rock for recording.

I don't know why you'd need a ground loop... although it's certainly not a bad idea... I've had a pci card for years I don't get noise out of it but I'm using a mackie vlz pro, high quality cable and such, and a sound card that was made for recording (ie low signal to noise ratio).

This is true, nothing beats a good old didicated recording sound card or adaptor.

Some Dells and HP's with the SB sound card give off a buzz or a high pitch whine. By placing the RS in between the source and the sound card will eliminate the noise "more so on the output than on the input.

The problem could also be that the software settings on the "record input" are set on mic and not line.

#97269 by RGMixProject
Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:37 pm
Yes, very well as a matter of fact. I also like the Pro Tools KeyStudio if your into mixing MIDI with audio.

#97270 by mistermikev
Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 pm
foa let me just say that maudio gear is really pretty great. I've had an maudio card for the past 10 years and it still works great... with vid games OR recording.
I had some probs with my midisport 8x8 so they sent me the new model free of charge - that speaks volumes!

that's gonna work great...
I did see the mobile one for $129(Zounds) and it looks like a significant difference is two mic ins... for the xtra 10 I'd go that rout
2 XLR inputs, 2 1/4 in. unbalanced outputs. 48v Phantom power.

also, zounds has the maudio delta 44 for $149... (I've had one forever) this has 4 outs and 4 ins (instead of two)

I'm pretty sure going direct from a mic would be a bit better with the first two options... but since you've got a pa (with xlr ins?) this would be a nice upgrade. 4 ins is nice cause you can send bd, snare, cymbols and toms in separately (mono).

#97292 by KeepDayJob
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:07 pm
Great inf! One other question - can I export the final song as MP3?

#97293 by mistermikev
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 pm
that boils down to the software you are using. you could use cool edit - I believe this is now audacity... it can export to mp3.
if the program decide to use doesn't export you can get a wav to mp3 conversion utility (for free - just google it).

#100519 by Jonny Deth
Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 am
I've been seeing those ground loop isolators for years and had one some years ago. To be perfectly honest, it did nothing but I didn't have any grounding buzz to begin with.

A good thick set of shielded RCA cables and my mix is flawless from board to soundcard.

#100799 by eseime
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm
If you're venturing into any type of pc recording I must say I've become quite a fan of pro-tools and the mbox family. Sure they have their kinks here and there and I had an awful time trying to get mine set up and running. Once you do though, you really have total control over everything. Depending on the model mbox you get, some have a pad switch which I think does the same thing that a ground loop isolator will. I use that on my mbox2 pro when recording certain things. Not trying to be a fanboy for digidesign but just recently discovered how truly powerful protools is.

#101041 by Starfish Scott
Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm
Only bitch I have about mbox is that I have seen cases where you remove the mbox from the system and it drops the whole driver and allocates a different setup every time it gets plugged in.

May be an isolated case(s), but I don't think so.

Once you get it right, don't change it.

#104751 by Jim-FindingFortress
Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 pm
As a professional computer programmer for a living who also plays lead guitar for my band and records all the time in Audacity (okay enough tooting my own horn about why I should reply to this) the above poster is correct about the sound card replacement. You should first and foremost invest in a decent soundcard that supports the line in as WELL as mic-in and then head to radio shack for above mentioned toy. Audacity can do a great job for what you're wanting to do but only if your computer itself is outfitted properly.... and that's not an audacity problem it's an any recording software issue with the wrong hardware.