This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#95466 by gbheil
Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 am
Dang near dropped my baby Tuesday. Good thing I play with a death grip on my axe with my right forearm. Worse it was a song my guitar is dominant on, and we were "showing off" for some visitors. :oops:

To pose the question:

Do you use strap locks ?
What brand / model ?
Pros and cons ?

I've spent a couple hours this evening reading up on them.
Freakin "reviews" can be so misleading and I trust you guys to not steer me wrong. ( now that's scary )
Money is not even a consideration at this point. I have way too much invested in my guitar to drop her.
I want the BEST !

What say ye ??

#95475 by JeffPhillips
Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 am
First off I only use dual design "StrapLok" from Dunlop. These locks go all the way around the strap button. The others like Schaller only go about 60% around the button, kind of like a cradle thing. Do not use the straps with built in locking devices as I have only had bad issues with these too.

When installing these locks you are required to change the strap button from the stock one. When doing so add a very tiny amount of high quality wood glue to the end of the supplied screw. This will keep the button in place and will never have to be re-tightened.

Also the strap itself is important. Avoid cheap straps with plastic harware, and use straps with real leather end pieces when converting to straploks.

I have over 20 instruments acoustic and electric all equipped with straploks (even the less expensive guitars). This just eliminates one more thing that can go wrong during a show.

I have never had one of these fail! But as with everything else this is just my humble opinion.

JP

#95481 by Shredd6
Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 am
Must have!! Especially with Les Pauls. Go get some tomorrow.

A good tip for when you go shop some out: Take one of the strap button screws out and take it with you. Does no good to buy some that have a smaller gauge screw for their system, and sometimes the head of the original screw won't fit into the hole of the locking system.

Don't worry if you feel like something looks too bulky overall. You'll be the only one who notices.

Generally, I use 2-types:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHALLER-NICKEL-STR ... 3358e0cbba

For my Squiers

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUNLOP-STRAPLOCKS-G ... 3a55bbe25f

For my heavier guitars.

You will feel 100% safe when you get strap locks Sans, whatever kind you choose. Those are just the ones I like. One of the best modifications you can get for sure. Don't chance dropping your LP. 8)

#95482 by Shredd6
Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 am
In all honesty, I'm gonna have to agree with Jeff on the Dunlops. They come with beefier screws. The Schallers just happen to have the same size screws for my Squiers, so I'm cool with them. But in my opinion not as good as the Dunlops, and I seem to remember having them for my LP. Damn man.. Haven't busted out my LP in a while. Maybe it's time to get it up and running again. I kind of miss it.

#95563 by gbheil
Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm
Thanks for the input guys, ya know reading all those on line descriptions and reviews is just confusicating.
Probably be next week before I can make it by the shop.
Till then I'll be extra careful. :wink:

#95566 by philbymon
Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:58 pm
Never used 'em. Never felt the need to. I replace my strap when it gets worn, & I make sure my lil strap button is secure. When it gets loose, I plug it with some glue & a toothpick, & screw it right back in. Been working like that forever, without the need for those bulky-lookin' things.

I've never dropped my axe, either.

#95593 by gbheil
Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:47 am
I have a really cool little strap that was a gift. It's like the Department of metal health strap that JW has. I'd like to keep using it but the button hole is a little soft. Sometimes I get to moving around pretty good when I play. Hate to drop my axe, bad enough to mess up a song.
Come to think of it, I had a big heavy leather strap I used when I played bass. It never came loose.

#95682 by jw123
Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 pm
I always use straplocks, I think Ive got the Shallers. You have to take them off and make sure the screws are tight in the body, and also tighten the nuts regularly that hold the strap, if something gets out of whack replace it. If the shallers get loose they will rotate around in the strap and I have once dropped one some how because it rotated. I have them on all my performance guitars, wouldnt gig without them.

For strats over the years a lot of times I didnt use strap locks, just make sure the end is thick. The thicker the better when not using a strap, at least thats what my gf said! he he
#96171 by fenderken
Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm
Yep, Dunlop is the ONLY way to go. I have had accidents with others, and over the last 40 years have learned my lesson. Good luck, Ken

#97173 by 1collaborator
Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:27 pm
I use Dunlop too . THe major bitch I had was getting the strap pat on the strap. I had to take one of my leather straps to a guy at the flea market to get the part ito the strap . Had one acoustic with the jack in the strap holder that it wont work with also.

Another day in Paradise !!!

#97189 by D38
Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Perhaps a vote is called for!?!!

Go Dunlop, you won't regret it although keep the push button mechansims nicely lubed...I've got one stuck on mine now!

#97208 by Jonny Deth
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 am
I use the Dunlop design which has a few copycats that are compatible BUT, I don't need the entire set!

I need 2-3 straps with the clasps installed and then 30 sets of buttons for my guitars!

They need to sell us the buttons at 5 bucks a set, that's more than a fair price on top of taking it up the crapper hole with a 5-6 dollar shipping charge no doubt.

Or maybe you want 30 equipped straps and to spend 800 dollars on straplocks and fair quality straps :|
#100557 by LZBass
Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm
Needed to mention Hennessey strap locks. Bought them for my new bass and liked them so well, I wound up replacing the strap buttons on all of my guitars! Bought mine at GC but they're on eBay and everywhere else too. Here's the link from GC...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hennessey-G ... 1397881.gc

-- Phil --

#100575 by gbheil
Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm
Thanks for the link Phil.